Sign in to follow this  
firecaptain

Hello from Las Vegas Newbie

Hello I am new to the forum and had a question about cutting the attached logo with a us cutter,what speed and pressure could you recommend using, right now I am cutting clear through the vinyl pressure set at 72 and speed @300.

thanks

post-27463-0-78891600-1417665383_thumb.j

Firecaptain, you are in the right place. Glad to have you aboard.

You have not indicated which model cutter is being used.

However, as a rule of thumb, the problem you're describing sure sounds like the blade is sticking out too far out from the holder.

Set your blade depth correctly by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get to that level (it should barely be visible out past the end of the holder), Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing.

• Like 1

Full disclosure, I'm still relatively new myself, but have received a ton of help on the forums. There are a tone of great threads out there, and I've saved myself some posts by getting creative with my searches.   =) 

I second what S&D said. The more time you take to make sure the blade is set just right, the less aggravation you'll have down the road. A proper blade depth/pressure will make weeding infinitely easier as well. After I've set my blade up and have been cutting for a while (usually 300-400 yards worth of cutting), when the weeding gets a little "sticky" and doesn't separate from the design cleanly, I just add a few grams at a time to the cutting pressure and I'm usually back in business.  

I usually end up starting at 50 g after the blade is properly set, and I'm currently up to 75g. 

Cutting speed is very different, and I think is most dependent on the detail of the cuts you're making. For my more detailed decals (such as a 1" x 6" decal with script/cursive font or something) I'm down around 300 mm/s. For my current project (Big names, about 4"x30" in a chunky font) I'm up to 900 mm/s with no problems, and I'm tempted to try speeding up even more, since I'm done weeding and taping one set of names before the next set of names are ready. 

If you're only cutting out a single project like the file you have in your original post, it's probably worth keeping speed lower and just being patient, but if you're cranking out a larger quantity ( I have 500 names I've had to cut out), keep adding a few mm/s to your speed to see what works without compromising quality of the cut. 

Cheers!