Sign in to follow this  
jaybyrd

Changing inks type

Trying to find some info on changing an epson from pigment to sublimation. I know I read something about flushing something out but I can't find it now.

I bought a used Epson 1400 and converted it from dye to sublimation.  

I used CobraInk Cleaning Solution to soak the head overnight and then use the Clog Buster syringe and solution to flush each head until they ran clear.  

I then cleaned the hollow posts that fit into the ink cartridges with more cleaning solution until everything showed no more signs of color.  

Then once I got the sublimation CISS installed I did a normal priming, nozzle checks, etc. and printed out 3 letter sized pages of full-page, full-color images and tossed them before I started trying to do anything to be pressed, and it worked fine.

Going from pigment to sublimation should be just as easy - probably easier as pigment inks seem to clean up easier than dye inks...

• Like 3

Yep, i think im gonna change from pigment to sub. I can do more with sub, than this pigment ink. Glad its not that hard to switch inks.

\You should be able to keep the same tanks correct? just flush the tanks/lines out and cartridges? or just buy new tanks too?

You can flush everything but for me I decided to just swap it out in the interest of saving time. I went with refillable cartridges for sublimation and so far they've worked fine.

What is the general consensus on dye sub ink as compared to pigment or regular printing ink. I ran CIS tanks on my little WF30 and had no end of clogging issues. Cobra has since switched the type of tubes they run over to the printer head and claim that will fix the clogging but I am of the opinion that the pigment ink was just settling out while in the lines. I am running carts on the new 7610 and other than a rigorous refill requirement they have ran perfect. I'm of the opinion that the gentle swaying motion happening during the print keeps the pigment ink stirred up. (Cobra recommends taking your tanks loose and gently rocking them from time to time so I think I'm right).

Is the sub ink high in solids too or more like regular printer ink? I have carts coming for the new 7620 sub printer but may change out to tanks if there is no inherent clogging other than from under-use.