Sign in to follow this  
JessXEmoji

Can anyone tell me whats causing this problem with the shirts?

See Photo. The vinyl on the shirt seems like it started to shrink up and bunch the shirt? This happend days after the shirt was pressed.

I'm using 100% cotton shirt with siser easyweed vinyl.

The pressure on the heat press is pretty strong as i need both hand to unclamp it. I can see the shirt pattern good through the vinyl after it's applied. I used a laser heat thermometer and the heat is within range of what easyweed calls for.  305-315 defgrees.   2 things i havent follow correcty however is i'm using no protecting between the press and shirt when i clamp it. and i keep the heat on it for 20 second instead of 15.

Am i over heating the vinyl without protection? I dont know whats causing this problem. thanks!

post-70064-0-26183400-1417487780_thumb.j

I've had it happen a couple times and have no idea why. Never been able to reproduce the results when I tried.

Try re-pressing with a cover sheet and it may lay down. I have occasionally had it do it too but like Jay I'm not 100% on what did it. I would say the overpressure is less likely to be an issue as going longer. Sister says 10-15 seconds. The times I have seen it were when I had multiple layers so possibly the press time. 

I cant tell exactly what's going on in your picture because for some reason its huge on my screen and wont shrink down. But it looks to me like your fabric was stretched out when the vinyl was heated and applied to the shirt or your shirt shrunk after it was washed and now your vinyl is bunching. My sons shirts do that often. I get the same result when I apply heat to the shirt for to long. The vinyl starts to lift in spots after being worn a few times.

• Like 1

We press 330* for 25 seconds and medium+ pressure, never had that. Might be what molesnsand said, slightly stretched fabric.

I press @ 335 for 15 sec and then take off the easyweed plastic and then put the protection sheet over it and press for another 10 sec  and as long as i see the tshirt pattern i call it good!

• Like 1

Ive done some test shirts. All the vinyl sticks good however after washing and drying them the vinyl loves to stay wrinkled. And the bigger the vinyl area the more the wrinkles stand out. Ive washed them in cold water and inside out and dried on normal heat. Still the larger designs wrinkle with the shirt. I can iron them inside out after a wash and will look new again. Hate to ask customers to iron after washing. Has anyone here done a larger design and washed it ? Is your coming out wrinkle free?

I think you're just getting differential shrinkage on the large areas. 100% cotton shrinks quite a bit. I would just offer full disclosure to the customer and tell them it's the trade off for a good heavy feeling shirt. Your other option might be to switch to stretch vinyl or pre-shrunk shirts could help too. 

Think ill try putting all the blanks in the dryer for 10 minutes before i press them. I think pre shunk shirts still shrink. What shirts do you guys use that are not shrinking?

Port and Co. from Sanmar, All I ever use unless customer specs otherwise.

• Like 2

Port and Co. from Sanmar, All I ever use unless customer specs otherwise.

same here -- used to love gildan until I tried port and have changed over for business and personal shirts

About the cheapest I found. . .you just have to set up an account with a sales tax number

They're cotton are preshrunk and have very little shrinkage post wash. I use them with siser all the time.

just curious = have you checked your heat press platen with a ir thermometer?

+1

Go to the hardware store and buy a IR thermometer. The heating element on lower end presses tends to be inaccurate and can have cold spots.

Yes I had already bought one from lowes. the heat is within range.

I just finished test washing a shirt to compare the size to one that wasnt washed. even though Giland says they are preshrunk the shirt shrunk 1/2 all around.  I laid it on top of a new one and it's 1/2 smaller.  Wish I had known this before I stocked up on $600 worth of shirts.  I got Giland cause t-shirt forums said it was a good brand for blanks.  I don't see how they made them work.   I'll just have to wash the ones I have to shrink them. then change brands.

Yes I had already bought one from lowes. the heat is within range.

I just finished test washing a shirt to compare the size to one that wasnt washed. even though Giland says they are preshrunk the shirt shrunk 1/2 all around.  I laid it on top of a new one and it's 1/2 smaller.  Wish I had known this before I stocked up on $600 worth of shirts.  I got Giland cause t-shirt forums said it was a good brand for blanks.  I don't see how they made them work.   I'll just have to wash the ones I have to shrink them. then change brands.

well there is your problem - chinese knock offs - next time order Gildan

• Like 1

How 'bout some other photos, Jesse? I'd like to see the whole HTV decal that was applied.

Not just the cheap presses my old hotronix is off 15 degrees but it is consistent across the platen

jay there is an adjustment under the black cover for that - had to do it on my latest one!  small potentiometer - you can make it dead on

• Like 1