Sign in to follow this  
brightblack

Sign cut tapering / skewed image

*Posted this in the 'sc cutter' forum, figured it best here. 

Hi

I've been using my SC Cutter 24 effectively with small media (12" vinyl mostly.)  I've been trying to print out a 16 x 18" image on 24" vinyl and every time (no matter the speed, the image tapers.  What's strange is that there is no overcutting on the image so it doesn't seem like it would be an issue with the rollers.  I'm super confused.  Any ideas?

I'm using SignCut Pro

*I've tried the same image with SCALP, and it automatically enlarges by 1/4" all around.  I'm very confused.

Please see example. Thanks

post-87050-0-38416100-1417486345_thumb.j

sneaksblackout.eps

sneaksblackout.svg

Both those vectors are a blob in my SignCut, VinylMaster, & Inkscape.... here's a screen shot.

post-43059-0-59383100-1417487927_thumb.p

That is the correct image. No joke. 

The problem is that the image is larger at the top and smaller at the bottom.  I know this because I am transferring it onto a 16" wide canvas.  I also made a large scale inket print of the same image and overlayed the vinyl to double check.

Here is a quick photo, hopefully it helps illustrate.

The top measurement is 16" as it gets to the bottom it is at 15 3/16".  You can tell from the blue release paper that the image veers in towards the bottom.  And its not just the weeding line that does this.  The whole image is proportionally compressed inward (noticed when I overlayed the vinyl on the inkjet print).

post-87050-0-05480800-1417488719_thumb.j

Is this created in SCALP? I suspect the creating software is the problem.

If you created something a bit more measurable, the flower you posted or, better yet, a square,

and posted the vector file, we could have a look at it in other programs and see if the problem exists within the file.

Hard for us to get much out of "sneaksBlackout".

Upon closer inspection, that blackout file has 2 weeding frames around it...

one slightly smaller than the other. Is this how it's supposed to be?

The image is from a jpg, that was then traced and cleaned up in AI. 

I've done more complex images (that were smaller) and have had no problems. 

I'll try and do a very large square or shape tomorrow and see what it looks like. 

If that comes out skewed (or as when I cut in SCALP -- is 1/4 oversize) - can you recommend any remedies?

Thanks for your help. 

I accurately measured it in VinylMaster the blackout svg file is not tapered.

Very odd problem. Is this happening with every file?

How close was the second square to the first? I opened the eps and it is square as can be. I see that there is a double cut around the box. Did it do both square exact? If yes then there has to be some sort of software glitch I would think. The inner design is really going to put your cutter through hell with all the pixelated tracings. I did some similar with my P-Cut and it caused it to cut funny for about a month until it got over being pissed off at me. LOL Regardless of the jagged cut in the middle, if it cut two perfectly aligned boxes then it's not likely your cutter off tracking. I am not aware of any kind of adjustment with SignCut to adjust skewed cutting but I suppose I would call their tech line and get some info. They are one of the few companies who actually offer live tech support and they rock! I have heard of people needing to dial in their cutters to have the scale be exact but SignCut has always been perfect for me. What file type are you sending over? SignCut prefers AI version 8. I have had size issues with sag files that I have tried. They ended up slightly off but I don't think they were tapered (didn't check). If you have some big butcher paper and a pen tool you can save some money in wasted vinyl and draw it out on paper to get it figured out. 

I've had SCALP enlarge images numerous times (to the point where I just reduce the size to 99.28% to make it cut correctly).

But no, I've never had anything taper like this in SignCut Pro. 

But it could've been that in smaller files I just didn't notice because the degree of distortion was minimal. 

I even tried retracing in AI, using both eps and svg -- weeding/no weeding.

Its very strange. 

I tried with the double line and with no lines whatsoever.  Both times there was an issue. 

I've been using cs5 - but I'll see if I can work with 8.  And I'll also check with the pen/paper and tech support.

Thanks all for taking a look at this. 

Definitely a software issue, just which one?

Could be SignCut, could be the cutter's firmware.

Interesting that you experienced a similar issue with a very complex file as well, goose.

Definitely a software issue, just which one?

Could be SignCut, could be the cutter's firmware.

Interesting that you experienced a similar issue with a very complex file as well, goose.

Specifically Storm Extra Bold font on 3 HTV shirts. All the back and forth wigged out the cutter. It caused it to sort of bounce and leave uneven cuts along diagonal cuts for a couple weeks and then it finally went back to normal. I never tried that font again with my cheap cutter. Looking at the file posted I would say it is worse than the one I did. Again if it was still able to cut the outer two squares consistent then I can't see it being the cutter. No way it could repeat an off track problem consistently. I see in SignCut where you can calibrate the size to your cutter. Never had to do this at all with an AI file. 

I've been using cs5 - but I'll see if I can work with 8.  And I'll also check with the pen/paper and tech support.

Just "save as" and it will let you decide what version of AI in the second pop up box. In the first you can save it as a different format like eps, pdf or svg and whichever you chose (AI native is default) in the second you have the option to choose which version you want. It will give you a warning about having in a legacy format but basically you won't notice much different unless you are trying to save multiple workspaces or something unsupported in the older version. You may find your file previews won't work when looking through them to open, I have that on my mac but no other noticeable downside. I actually leave the work in a regular CS5 file and then downside an actual cut file. This lets me have an original that I often leave the fonts live if I can.