Sign in to follow this  
C4S

Jagged Edges / Jitter on straight cuts?

I have a new 25 inch SC Series cutter, and use the SCALP 3 that came with it. I am brand new to vinyl cutting, and have gotten things mostly working correctly, however, I noticed that the lines are not always clean and straight, but sometimes jagged. I am not cutting large signs or anything, only use this for cutting small decals / stickers. 

Please see the picture (sorry for the quality, hopefully you can see where the line is straight, then gets wiggly or jagged). These stickers are about 25 mm or so across, so they are small. Cutting Oracle 651. The art is simply triangles with rounded corners, created via AI, and imported as SVG into SCALP. Speed is set at 200mm/s & pressure is 120g (tried 100 but weeding was a bit of a challenge).

I have the roll set on a rollers, and watched the whole thing to ensure it had slack the entire time. 

The blade has only been used a few times, so I doubt it's dull, but I may need to adjust the depth a little (and lower the pressure back to 100g).

Nothing is skewed so I think I have my pinch rollers set properly now. Any thouhts on what could cause this? These are small decals and just need to be clean cut lines. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Ken

post-89141-0-39277900-1417401253_thumb.j

Could possibly be to much blade sticking out. I saw someone on here say that its like a caster or wheel on a shopping cart. To much blade and it will start to wiggle and cause the jagged lines.

Stepper motor in the SC.

It "steps" just like that.

There is a tensioner adjustment on the carriage drive band, you might try slight changes to that, see if it helps.

(remove the left-hand cover -- the one with the power plug --- and the tensioner pulley is there)

Stepper motor in the SC.

It "steps" just like that.

There is a tensioner adjustment on the carriage drive band, you might try slight changes to that, see if it helps.

(remove the left-hand cover -- the one with the power plug --- and the tensioner pulley is there)

Yikes, I'm hoping this is fixable. I researched this cutter prior to purchase, and it is supposed to be accurate to "0.001Inch/step (0.0254mm/step)"

Do you recomend tightening or lossening the tensioner, based on my situation? I will look at it and probably call US Cutter Support tomorrow if needed.

Rule #1 for me is always more pressure and less blade. Never had an issue that way.

• Like 1

Is it just this image or others as well? I've cut some really small fonts on mine and never had anything like that..Maybe like others said, blade adjustment and perhaps slow the speed?

I had the same issue and I called tech support and they had me take the left end cap of the machine off, there are two screws, one is right by the red strip on the front of the cutter and the other one is in the back. You will need to unscrew both of them and move the cap out of the way. Then, there is a gold screw that sticks out and I just had to turn it to put some tension on the belt to the blade holder. It fixed my problem.

You want very little blade sticking out.  You should just barely be able to see it.  I always do test cuts by hand on scrap vinyl.  For Oracal 651, I set my pressure at 120G and the speed at 600.  Nice smooth cuts.  Less blade and more pressure is correct.  I'd definitely do that before I opened my machine up and attempted to adjust the internals!  HA!