Go-C Graphics

Backup option

So I know there're a few backup threads floating around but I wanted to come up with a solid solution.  

And I think I've found it.   

First off if you have a external HD that you've been backing up to that's great but there's only 1 problem, from what I've heard.   If , for example, your motherboard fries you're screwed if you've been using just a plan old windows backup.  My understanding is your backup it linked to the mac address or chip set of your motherboard.  If your hard drive fails then you can restore your backup but if your motherboard goes then it won't work.  

This is the way it was explained to me so I may be wrong.   

I'm all about automation because I hate having to remember to do a back up.   So here's my solution.   

I purchased a 128gb USB stick on amazon for $30 that's now left in the computer.   I've searched HIGH and low for a program to suit my needs and I come up with Allway Sync.

Now I can set up files that it'll sync to my USB stick automatically.  I have it setup so that it'll analyze what files have changed or been added and it'll only have to sync those files.   After the first sync it's really fast. One of the best parts is you can set it up so that it'll never delete from the USB memory. If you happen to accidentally delete something from your computer then no matter how many times you have sync'ed it'll still be on the USB drive.  

Maybe that's not for you, maybe you just want to have a perfect mirror image of your files.  Well it can do that also.  

There's a ton of ways to set it up.  You can also have it sync both ways.  So if you sync it with one computer you can move the USB drive to another computer running the same allway sync program and it'll make sure the files from your USB are sync'ed.   

What's also cool is you can set it up to sync automatically as soon as you stick the USB drive in.  

BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE.

Everyone knows dropbox doesn't give you alot of storage but it's a great idea. I'm to cheap to purchase extra space.   Well with this program I can setup a daily task to sync certain folders with my dropbox folder.   This way it's automatic, and I have an extra place where all those super important files are stored in the cloud.   

Just throwing out an option with specific programs I'm using.  

Feel free to chime in with what you use.  

Downloading and trying it now, have been looking for a back up synching option

It takes alittle bit of time to get setup but once it's setup it's not bad to work with.  

Check out youtube for videos on all the things it can do.  

• Like 1

I've been using the free version of that program for awhile but if you get to high of a file count or run it too many times it gives you a nag screen and says you've been using it too much and must wait like 30 days before you can run it again. I've since found FreeFileSync. It's 100% free and open source. Not quite as pretty AlwaysSync but it does pretty much the same thing. Also has a batch mode option that allows you to create a batch file that you can then set to run every time your computer starts up, or add it to the Windows schedule routine to run every so often.

Sync can be achieved via many software solutions.  It is a good idea to back up your critical things.  Multiple redundancy  in you backups can help when things go south.  

There exists another level of backup that I like to have.  It is revision control over my graphics and work files.  

On Windows OS, the only program I have found that does this for my artwork/vector files is File Hamster.  I have mentioned the software on these forums before.

It watches folders for changes and anytime a file is changed or added it makes a copy in a Library.  This mean each time I hit save in my design software, I have a backup copy of that art work at that point in history.  There are times, you wish you could go back in time, having lost the undo history, or you made some change to artwork and forgot how it came about that such revision control can save your tush.