DNA_Vinyl

Question regarding sand blasting...

for glassware any scrap works pretty good - paint mask just comes off a little easier but I use whatever scraps are around

I always used 651 and had great success, even with fine detail.  Just be sure to rub it down well so it has a good bond around the edges.  I found that soaking the glass in hot soapy water for about 30 minutes after etching made the vinyl come off a lot easier.

• Like 1

I use my extensive unused supply of green star. If I have finer details I sometimes switch to 651. I use the excess vinyl to wrap the rest of the item too so it is protected from overspray. I just cut it in strips like wide tape

• Like 1

DNA I always use paint mask but that is just a preference that I have. I also usually etch a little deeper than just frosting it. I don't do many mugs anymore. I mainly do plate glass and mirrors from the back so I can edge light them. I have never tried green star or 651. I started with paint mask and just stuck to it. I also use Raysist sr3000 if I am doing really detailed stuff or just don't feel like weeding the small stuff.

Thanks for all the feed back everyone. Good stuff.

We are poking around the idea of sandblasting glass.

So...yeah.

Glass is easy to work with and tons of fun. Takes a lot less effort to get a good deep etch than you'd think too. I rarely just frost mine, I prefer a good etch that they can feel and appreciate. Kind of the "cool" factor. 

I use 651 for my etching. As long as you don't go overboard(deep etches) it works fine. I picked up some etching stuff from these guys... cant even cut the stuff with my machine. Waste of money

Ah, the hook has been set!

Nice work,

Cal

DNA you are hooked now. Wait until you start etching on the glass and edge lighting it.

yeah I'm pretty excited about it. I've already got 3 orders for these mugs.

Now don't flip out but I charged $10 each...

too low?

DNA, it is too low if you are supplying the glass. i did these for $10each and they supplied the glasses. That was last yr. Now i am working on more for them. It is a wine club group. Their name is on the back. Don't know why they are black.

.post-36131-0-70653000-1417550347_thumb.j

$10-$12 for the etch then add for the mug seem about right. As you have probably discovered it very time consuming. 

$10-$12 for the etch then add for the mug seem about right. As you have probably discovered it very time consuming. 

It's not bad, no more time consuming than making a normal decal.

I actually don't do any sand blasting. My bro does it all from where he works. I design it, cut it, apply it...he blasts it.

$10 too low eh? Maybe $12?

I just find the time spent wrapping things up so they are safe is more plus all the time unwrapping them and I can't get anything done in under 1/2hr. I try to blast a bunch of pieces at a time but it;s usually one off things for friends. 

I use what ever scrap I have, never had issues with fine detail and cheap vinyl. Test mug I did last night.

Guns and Coffee

• Like 1

I went to do one and my wife said sandblasting the "glaze" off a coffee mug would ruin it eventually.  Guess the ceramic would be exposed to water when washing and thats a bad thing...LOL  I guess you could seal it?

I went to do one and my wife said sandblasting the "glaze" off a coffee mug would ruin it eventually.  Guess the ceramic would be exposed to water when washing and thats a bad thing...LOL  I guess you could seal it?

I have seen many people do it some seal some don't but always suspected the same thing - without the glaze the fired clay is porous and would let liquid seep in.

I wondered about this but noticed the base of the mug has a exposed ring to give the mug some grip. My guess is that etching will be fine.