ashraetz

Hello need help!

Hi there...I am new to US Cutter, just received the US Titan 2 two weeks ago...I am a sign PAINTER and bought this machine to cut mylar material to  make word painting stencils. So with this being said, I am having a really hard time doing this.  I have figured how to manually bridge letters BUT wow,,,,is there a program out there that would be compatible with the titan that would automatically bridge letters?  SCALP does not, and it is just not friendly to use for the designs I need to make.

I paint custom signs for people so I need to manipulate words and do like chalkboard type fonts and signs...I am so frustrated right now with this.

Also is there a type of cutting mat I can get for my mylar or anyone know of where I can get adhesive mylar that doesn't peal off sticky?  I am having a very difficult time!

If the material doesn't have to be transparent, there are other products besides mylar you may want to try.

If you need the stiffness and re-useability of  mylar in an easier to plot material, I have used this sandblast resist and this paint mask with good results.

Doesn't do too well with very small detail but is low tack and otherwise worked well for me.

These paint masks work very well too but, you just get the one use from them.

Don't know of any software that's gonna automatically bridge letters for you.

Careful font choice and manually altering them, either in the software or on the actual stencils, after cutting,  are likely to be your only avenues.

There are several other design programs out there but you will invest a decent amount of time to get good enough to be bridging letters. There are a lot of facets to cutting and each takes a little learning time. 

Hmmmm....then I wonder why there are so many stencil companies kyle? I use mylar stencils when getting ready for any type of show this allows me to create in bulk?  I prepare 300 to 500 signs for one show, if I was to hand paint (free hand) which I do for customs, it would take me over a year to do 500 signs...so although I can't speak for other sign makers I choose stencils and have spent a small fortune on them.  There has to be a better program out there....there are so many stencil companies that are able to manipulate the words etc....I can't imagine there is not a program out there that doesn't bridge letters...on the ones I have bought...every single bridge is too perfect to be manually inserted.  Any other suggestions for programs?

Never seen a program that does what you want automatically. That's where user skill and experience come into play.

• Like 1

Ashraetz,

Just for clarity of communication, perhaps you should specifically define your use of the term "bridging"

I understand it to mean connecting 'islands' or 'floaters' to the main, outer part if a stencil or letter.

As in the center part of an "o" or "p".  Is that what you are referring to also?

Also, clarify, if you will, "there are so many [stencil companies] that are able to manipulate the words (?) etc....

I can't imagine there is not a program out there that doesn't bridge letters".

I know of some sign painters that use stencils that they bridged with chicken wire  and spray paint right 'through' the bridging. And yes, many sign painters have added plotters to their workflow.

OK I

Ashraetz,

Just for clarity of communication, perhaps you should specifically define your use of the term "bridging"

I understand it to mean connecting 'islands' or 'floaters' to the main, outer part if a stencil or letter.

As in the center part of an "o" or "p".  Is that what you are referring to also?

Also, clarify, if you will, "there are so many [stencil companies] that are able to manipulate the words (?) etc....

I can't imagine there is not a program out there that doesn't bridge letters".

I was just about to ask...............   WTH is a bridged letter?

Methinks he refers to stencil type letters... which retain the letter 'dropouts'. (Like the center of an 'O')

Sure Cuts A Lot Pro 4 has a tool selection to produce bridged letters as the example picture.

It will do vertical and horizontal bridges... 

I assume he creates the stencils as a vended product.

bridge dropouts.png

I've heard that there are programs that can automatically add bridging to text but,

most any vector program can be used to manually create bridges.

Often, in graffiti work,  a second altered stencil is used to paint over the "bridge blanks"

after aligning over the previously sprayed, bridged version, thereby covering them over.

If using adhesives with stencils there is no need for bridging.