dirttrackin280h

Sandblasting wood - Which mask?

My cousin wants to make a wood sign and wants me to make him a stencil so he could sandblast it. Already tried Oracal 651 and it didn't hold up. I have a cheap MH-871 cutter with 600g of cutting pressure, who can recommend me a good sandblasting mask that will cut with my cutter and hold up to the job? Thanks in advance.

post pictures Jay so we can see the results. What

kind of stone are you blasting?

I have done a few with paint mask and it worked ok

this is my before .. and i'll post a after once i get it done..

This is 12x12 granite

My wife's cousin's husband works at a granite plant.. so i think i can get a good deal he just gave me this peace to practice with 

has anyone tried this before, is there special paint you can paint in granite

what i was going to do is blast it out with the sandblaster and then paint where it was blasted and then take the mask off 

post-16863-0-45684600-1415767191_thumb.j

post-16863-0-29586400-1415767197_thumb.j

• Like 1

this is my before .. and i'll post a after once i get it done..

This is 12x12 granite

My wife's cousin's husband works at a granite plant.. so i think i can get a good deal he just gave me this peace to practice with 

has anyone tried this before, is there special paint you can paint in granite

what i was going to do is blast it out with the sandblaster and then paint where it was blasted and then take the mask off 

Hey SeeJay

Can I ask what settings you used on your Graphtec to cut this stuff.  I have a roll of the 12 mil from UScutter and wanted to give it a try.  I'm babying my Graphtec and been putting off trying it.  I only have the .09 blades  no 1.5 yet  :(

Joe

Hey SeeJay

Can I ask what settings you used on your Graphtec to cut this stuff.  I have a roll of the 12 mil from UScutter and wanted to give it a try.  I'm babying my Graphtec and been putting off trying it.  I only have the .09 blades  no 1.5 yet   :(

Joe

I have 2 .09 blade holders  one has a crappy 45blade in it and the other one has a clean cut blade in it!

One i only use for HTV, 631 and 651 - stock blade that came with the machine

The other one i use is for  Htv Glitter, Sandblast stencil, and Cricut Crafting Crap for my mother! :) - my clean cut blade!

I should of done 2 passes but i didn't i only did 1 at the time but i used the 31 of force and speed of like 8 or 10 not very fast!

It would of came out better if i would of done 2 passes for sure so i did the 1 pass and pealed it off and put it on the granite, and then i weeded out the letters once it was on the granite!

I will show more images later tonight when i go and get it sandblasted!  I'm kinda exited actually 4pm can't come soon enough

• Like 1

I have 2 .09 blade holders  one has a crappy 45blade in it and the other one has a clean cut blade in it!

One i only use for HTV, 631 and 651 - stock blade that came with the machine

The other one i use is for  Htv Glitter, Sandblast stencil, and Cricut Crafting Crap for my mother! :) - my clean cut blade!

I should of done 2 passes but i didn't i only did 1 at the time but i used the 31 of force and speed of like 8 or 10 not very fast!

It would of came out better if i would of done 2 passes for sure so i did the 1 pass and pealed it off and put it on the granite, and then i weeded out the letters once it was on the granite!

I will show more images later tonight when i go and get it sandblasted!  I'm kinda exited actually 4pm can't come soon enough

WOW..Ok cool

I was looking on ebay to get a 1.5 holder and maybe 30 deg and 60 deg blade.  I may hold off then if you are using the .09 blade and holder.

Yep. I'm only using the blue tip..

I got one that came with the machine and i got a Ebay one for like $20

I plan on getting a red tip one day but not now ..

So I'm back from my little adventure .. This guy called me up on CL and asked me if i could help him with corel .. I never knew it would come out like this but here is what we made tonight

but here are some of the final pictures.. Sandblasting Granite turned out awesome i know the pictures does not do it justice

and the last photo is the guy's setup it was fkn awesome!

I forgot a photo sorry

post-16863-0-55925700-1415841313_thumb.j

post-16863-0-66477900-1415841319_thumb.j

post-16863-0-89722100-1415841325_thumb.j

post-16863-0-94829900-1415841341_thumb.j

post-16863-0-10265800-1415844946_thumb.j

• Like 3

WOW, that looks great.  I'm shocked how white the granite is...IS that painted after? or thats just how it came out?  

I have to go get me some scrap pieces for sure.

Nice job Jay,I really like the wood sign. What type of media did you use to blast with? That is a nice setup he has there.  When I do wood signs I usually spray a light coat of clear paint to seal the pores in the wood so that the color does not bleed out of the blasted area. Again nice job 

Bob

• Like 1

Perhaps I missed it, what was the air pressure used for both the granite and the wood?

Beautiful stuff btw,

Cal

• Like 1