NateL

General business and money assistance

Jobs are starting to come in and I'm starting to push my company out there but I don't know if it's even legal for me to do so yet. I'm trying to decide on if I should save up for the ~$500 it's gonna cost to make a LLC or save up for the new cutter I want. 

I'm also tossing the idea around of incorporating and then applying for a business bank account and business credit card. 

Any other tips/suggestions/advice on the aspects of setting up a the business side of things? Glad to hear it...

You'll need to register as a business in your state and apply for a sales tax license. You can do it all online. A business license in my state only costs $10 and a sales tax license is free. Setting up an LLC will help protect you from personal liability in the event something went horribly wrong. Talk to an accountant and a lawyer to see what is right for you.

Check into sole proprietorship in lieu of LLC, much cheaper and for this type of business I think it's the best option.  If anybody disagrees I'd love to hear why.

• Like 1

I'm in SC and sole prop, no LLC here. Just need a local license if required in your area and your state license which is basically for you to charge tax and be exempt from tax on purchases. https://www.scbos.sc.gov/ Center towards the bottom start doing business in South Carolina. If you are within 50 miles of me disregard all this and quit while you can  ;D

• Like 3

Awesome thanks for the info so far. I was on LegalZoom.com and after most was finished I was looking at near $500 so I'm glad to hear there's a less expensive option that will get me the licenses and stuff I need.   I'll continue on saving up for that cutter!

• Like 1

If you are within 50 miles of me disregard all this and quit while you can  ;D

LOL Don't worry! My wife and I are both active duty so we'll be outa here soon.  :ph34r:  B)

Do some research about Legal Zoom before comitting to anything, I've heard about some horror stories with them.

If you want to start getting into this business you might as well start working hard now.   

Start researching

All places like Legal zoom is doing is filling out the business form you can find on you states website using the info you've filled in on their form. 

And of course charging you a bunch of money to do that. 

I'm an LLC but I'm classified as a Sole Prop because I'm the only owner. 

the reason you really need to do your reseach and learn the process is because there are scammers out there.  Once you become a business scammers will start sending you letters stating you have to do this and pay this money to complete your startup business process. 

They ALMOST got me but I had done my research and knew that I didn't need what they were offering.  

Basicly they wanted $60 to send me a business certificate that only cost $5 to order from the state.  $55 profit for them. 

• Like 2

If you want to start getting into this business you might as well start working hard now.   

Start researching

All places like Legal zoom is doing is filling out the business form you can find on you states website using the info you've filled in on their form. 

And of course charging you a bunch of money to do that. 

I'm an LLC but I'm classified as a Sole Prop because I'm the only owner. 

the reason you really need to do your reseach and learn the process is because there are scammers out there.  Once you become a business scammers will start sending you letters stating you have to do this and pay this money to complete your startup business process. 

They ALMOST got me but I had done my research and knew that I didn't need what they were offering.  

Basicly they wanted $60 to send me a business certificate that only cost $5 to order from the state.  $55 profit for them. 

Exactly why I gave the link to the state site. Too many crooks out there, government notwithstanding :)

• Like 1

Just be legal with state and local licenses as required and insurance if your going to install. I have been in business over 40 years and never even considered being incorporated i have always been a sole propriter/dba business when I was building homes and now with the handyman service and sign service. I do carry a million dollar general liability insurance policy which gives people a

Little better peace of mind when I am 30 feet above ground installing a sign or servicing a lighted sign.

Double check where you live too. Here  in Washington State, the state business license is cheap, but the city I live in wants a piece of me too, and have their own business license they require, even though I don't have a store-front and just sell online.