Wildgoose

Geo Knight vs Fusion vs Hix

Wow. I have been really thinking I want to upgrade from my 15" swing out press and turn it into my back-up. It's still working away but I have put sooo many cycles on it that I am seeing the wear and tear on the lower quality construction that is normal for the chinese presses. In the course of trying to decide if I want to pull the trigger I have been reading and watching many many vids on these things. Here are my thoughts and I would absolutely love some feedback from all the folks on the forum here because I value your experience and points of view and many probably have one of these machines I'm considering.

Front runner right now in my mind is the Geo Knight DK20S. Reasons I like it are the rock solid american construction and Rear threadable platen. Only real concern is whether this thing is just TOO big and heavy. I'm a big guy so maybe not a huge issue but will the massive thing tire me out when doing lots of work? Probably setting in the leaad in large part due to feedback out on the net being just how rock solid this machine it, probably never need another. 

Probably about a tie for first pick is the Fusion. love the cool factor and the obvious quality of the company.  Concerns for me are a little chatter of some glitches here and there although the company is reputable that I worry less but what about a few years down the road. I like the draw option but the handle looks to be poking into your gut a bit making you bend over more to see things. Totally threadable but has to go upside down and I suppose I would either just not take advantage of this feature or would train around working upside down but it's definitely at best a wash. Also will there be long term wear issues on that rollout assembly? Lastly is cost being a few hundred higher although that is just a minor thing at this stage. 

Not to be forgotten is the Hix swingman 20P which has most of the same features as the other two as far as digital timer, heat and saved presets. Hix has about as great of history and name as any of the others for reliable products. It's much lighter than the other two which may or may not be a factor. The biggest thing I think they are missing is the digital pressure readout. I hate having to make guesses about where I'm at with pressure all the time. I have figured it out ok with my cheaper press but I know that I probably consistently over press rather than under so I error on the side of caution and I would prefer to have some sort of yardstick to compare to.

To any who happen to have any of these machines I would appreciate the good and bad that you have found since getting yours and using them. I keep hoping I will stumble across a non-air powered auto open swing away but apparently there are none out there. Auto open is the one thing none of these have that I really wanted being that I often am the only one working on these and could appreciate the ability to step away for a second without worry of burning a shirt. 

Oh, last question for those who have them. 16"x 20" is a lot bigger than my 15"x 15" and I have very rarely needed bigger. Do you feel the oversize is overkill? I do some transfers and now have a wider format epson printer but have yet to need anything larger than the 15". 

Our Fusion has been great.  We have had it since the end of January this year.  Stahls seems to be really great when it comes to service, even on some of the presses that are 15+ years old, from threads i have read previously.  Fortunately i have not had to contact customer service except for a shipping issue.  That was for an accessory platen and not the actual heaters.  We have pressed 8+ hours straight many times and it has never let us down.  It gets back up to temp quickly.  The touchscreen is easy to use, and besides just looking "cool" i find it very useful.  I like being able to store different presets in the Fusion.  It gives you the option to store each preset temp, pressure, and a timer for up to four presses.  We have only used the swing away option probably 2 times, all other times it has been the draw function.  I love being able to pull the entire platen out away from the heat to get everything lined up.  At times i would find it easier for some designs to be able to thread from the back, and line it up i have never really had issue with it.

I had read when the Fusion first came out a few people had issues with the slide assemblies.  Those issues seemed to have been worked out, and they should be seeing as the Fusion has been out for Years. 

I researched for a few months before i bought my Fusion and kept going back and fourth, mostly between it and a Geo Knight.  In the end i am absolutely sure i made the right decision and have never once regretted buying the fusion.  I have confidence the Stahls will be around for the long haul.  Ultimately i put my choice between the 16 x 20 Hotronix Hover (because eventually we plan to get into DTG) and the Fusion.

I decided that the swing away and draw functions looked to be the best of both and i expect we will get many happy years out of our fusion.

I would recommend purchasing the 11 x 15 accessory platen for women cut and youth shirts.  I also bought the upper bra to protect the heat platen.  I also have had plans for months to buy the lower quick slip protectors for both the 16 x 20 platen and the 11 x 15, i just haven't done so yet.

Whatever you buy just make sure you get free shipping, and like i told djque make sure you have some help when it is delivered.  We spent about a week looking for a table sturdy and large enough to hold the heat press but never found anything suitable.  In the end i just ended up building one out of 2x4's and blonde board at Lowes.  Another concern i had was having the heat press high enough that i would not be bending over as much to use it as I'm reasonably tall.

If you have any specific questions ask here in the forum or send me a PM and i will be happy to answer.   :)  Oh and one last thing... i kept going back and fourth in my head over the auto clams and auto open, but to be honest, not having that feature has never been an issue for myself or my wife.

I have an older hotronix and it is beyond well built, more like a tank. I refurbished a couple and called for parts and I truly believe they are one of the best companies I have dealt with in years. Actually talked to a real tech who knew these machines like the back of his hand and could quote part numbers and install procedures straight from memory. As far as the size I also sell pre-made transfers so the 16 X 20 is great but I have the smaller lower for working on bags.

• Like 1

I get my press this Wed and cant wait lol. I went with the fusion cause I like the swing and drawer and the the touch screen with the presets you can set for the vinyl you use. I was thinking on the dk20s but since it was on a pay to own I said might as well grab the fusion and a new 4 Riley Hopkins JR. - 4 Color 2 Station Press. but while I was at ryonet last week I was able to play with it and im glad I made that decision.

• Like 1

Well that's three in favor of the Hotronix. I did some searching on the t-shirt forum and am finding the same there so I am thinking I will probably lean toward the Fusion. Not hard to convince me because it's by far the coolest looking press I've seen and I'm attracted to shiny things.

• Like 2

Went ahead with the Fusion this morning. Have to admit I'm pretty excited! I ordered the next size down platen too (11"x 15") This last big job I dd more than paid for the press so I decided I better get it before that money evaporated out of the account as it seems to do. 

• Like 5

Went ahead with the Fusion this morning. Have to admit I'm pretty excited! I ordered the next size down platen too (11"x 15") This last big job I dd more than paid for the press so I decided I better get it before that money evaporated out of the account as it seems to do. 

Its an awesome press.  I am sure you won't be disappointed. :)

yup you wont just got mines today and the wow factor is thru the ceiling Im small but I actually carried it to the table from my truck about 3 feet away. love the presets and the password settings.

post-42519-0-01639500-1415842005_thumb.j

post-42519-0-72273500-1415842014_thumb.j

post-42519-0-00169800-1415842050_thumb.j

• Like 4

Makes me want to update my old hotronix but if it ain't broke...

Got my press yesterday!!!! I talked to UPS and they let me come pick it up at the hub rather than wait another day and so I got to use it last night. WOW pretty nice for sure! Huge after using my little 15" unit for so long. I am happy with it. Has some nice features that I will really utilize. Particularly nice is being able to load all the different application setting right into the menu so you just pick what you are doing and it's ready to go. I use primarily Siser which is mostly the same temp and time but some are different and I do have a decent supply of stahls' product that I always have to look up every time I want to use them. I also like the threadable platen and will spend some time training myself to work upside down so I can better use that feature without screwing up. Also like the warning beeps that it gives when it's getting close to time to open so you can drop what you're doing and head that way. (which isn't much on a 15 second press but will be handier on transfers)

djque- I notice that your platen protectors are taped on? That is a bit weird, did they send it like that from the factory or what?. My press came with a free lower platen cover from stahls' that has the stretchy white elastic fabric to hold it on nicely. I had bought one just like it for my old press and it's nice because it stays put. 

• Like 2

Naw they didnt give me one free lol but those are my old ones till my new one comes. but now I go back to work at American Apparel tomorrow and my riley hopkins came today and is still wrapped up so it will be later this week before I put my silkscreen together  and get my upper and lower platen covers.

• Like 1

I ended up going through Heat Press Nation just because they offered free shipping. You can get some free stuff from Stahls' ($100 in free product) but can't go toward the extra platens. They also had a sale on a whole set of platens for a pretty good price but not the actual extra platen I needed so I went elsewhere. The price on the press itself is set at $1850 currently. I have never bought anything though HPN but they were fast and efficient. USCutter sells the press too but no free shipping. 

Coastal Business gave me free shipping when i ordered my fusion from them.  They keep them in stock and ship fast.

Correction...  I did have to pay a $50 or so residential fee.  But if you have a business location then shipping really would be free. :)

When I called for parts for my older hotronix the tech told me when I was ready to upgrade call them back and they'd give me 15% (I think) off a demo model.

When I called for parts for my older hotronix the tech told me when I was ready to upgrade call them back and they'd give me 15% (I think) off a demo model.

Worth a shot I suppose.  Maybe I will call them and check it out.  I am on the fence on buying one as I really don't need it yet but would be nice to upgrade.  For 15% off, I would for sure pull the trigger!

at the $1850 and free shipping would still be a nice upgrade. This thing is really one of if not the best press out right now. That shoe platen is my next order. but the features are astounding. I just love looking at it. I got off work (Im back at american apparel) and went straight to the garage to see that and my silkscreen press that aint even set up yet. but I was at work like yup im getting these and these and these to decorate. Grab me a order form already.

Just an update for future generations:

I have had the press for a while now and done somewhere around 900 press cycles. Here are my observations. 

Positives:

The obvious is the really cool look and beautiful design. I am really impressed with the build quality and solid feel to every part on this beast. It IS a beast too, quite heavy although I can move it unassisted but then again I am bigger than the average person. 

Computer controlled memory of tons of product options (more than I'll ever use) make it really nice because you can input your various materials and then just elect them from a list and accept and it loads all the temp/time in and gives a little reminder of the pressure. You can override the preset anytime you want and add heat or time etc... but once I'm set I doubt that will occur very often. 

Count timer for press cycles. This works great if you are doing simple once press cycles. I had a few issues with it on three press cycles and also had a 5 sec one in there to pre-press. My problem was that I evidently lift the handle a touch to soon and the counter doesn't count it if you don't complete the whole countdown. A more regimented person would be fine I guess. There are up to 4 separate timers available within each saved setting so for instance you have a 3 second pre-press then three more 12 second cycles for all the layers on a given design. Pretty impressive. I found that I preferred to just use the basic 10-15 second single press for easy weed and didn't worry about the counter. I do the prepress based on the countdown on the timer and pull it when it goes down about 5 so the counter never even matters on that anyway. 

Threadable platen. I have to admit that I discounted the application of this feature when making my purchase decision. I had not really been able to truly thread a garment on my older presses and just didn't think it would be that big of a deal and I was concerned that to thread you had to push the shirt on upside down. Boy did I underestimate that! I spent the first decent job re-training my mind to work on an upside down shirt. i figured that since I had the threadable platen I should at least give it a chance. After one job of about 30 shirts my brain was re-trained and no longer even an issue (which surprised this old dog). I just looked at the design more in abstract than worrying about actually reading it or visually paying attention to what it was other than my alignment and it was easy to get used to upside down. Added benefit to upside down is that 16"x 20" platen is freakin' huge! I have had two 15" machines and wow what a difference. So something that looonnngg. would be pretty miserable reaching over to the far side. With it upside down the layout is all on the user end and actually makes a lot of sense. The other added benefit is utilizing the thread to avoid neck seams and other nonsense that I always had to use a pillow to get around previously.

Quick change patens. Totally rad man! You know how when you do a hoody and the dang pocket is in the way? Yeah, well slip the big platen off throw on the 11"x 15" sideways and no more issue. Takes about as long to describe it as to do it. I WILL be getting more of the other platen sizes as the need comes along. Some of the toddler garments I have done were still too small for the 11' x15" so I can see the benefit of another purchase soon. 

Swing away and draw. I tried out the draw action. Handy once in a while and very much so when swiping out platens but I found that you had to actually move out of your work zone too much for my liking. The swing was more energy efficient for my work but it's still really cool to have the option and once in a while you just need to get a better look at something and you can just drag the thing out and with the swing also in operation you have a totally unobstructed access zone.

I also like the timer countdown. when it gets to 3 seconds it starts a warning beep with each of the last 3 seconds so if you are across the room you feel more comfortable concentrating on that last weed item or maybe you're chatting it up on the forum between cycles.

Having a pressure gauge is out of this world comforting. I'm a worry wagon and always wondering about pressure and with the live readout you can see what your putting into the press and make adjustments on the fly when going from regular to perhaps adding a press pad behind a pocket. 

Negatives:

Not much to tell the truth

The draw option while not a negative is a little less user friendly that I thought it would be with the garment occasionally getting fouled in the roller drawer mechanism. 

The swing would be nice if you somehow had the option to swing to the left rather than the right only. I'm a republican and have no issue with right minded but occasionally left would be nice as an option. 

The ONLY reason I can think of that I would ever sell this unit would be to upgrade to a newer version if they ever figure out how to make them auto release like the clams. That would be in my letter to santa for sure. 

Conclusion

This press truly holds up to the hype (in spades) and I can tell whoever designed it has spent some serious time behind a press at one time or other to catch all the little minute details that make this thing great. The expense seems high when compared to more budget minded presses but the difference it quality is ASTOUNDING.

• Like 5

Just an update for future generations:

I have had the press for a while now and done somewhere around 900 press cycles. Here are my observations. 

Positives:

The obvious is the really cool look and beautiful design. I am really impressed with the build quality and solid feel to every part on this beast. It IS a beast too, quite heavy although I can move it unassisted but then again I am bigger than the average person. 

Computer controlled memory of tons of product options (more than I'll ever use) make it really nice because you can input your various materials and then just elect them from a list and accept and it loads all the temp/time in and gives a little reminder of the pressure. You can override the preset anytime you want and add heat or time etc... but once I'm set I doubt that will occur very often. 

Count timer for press cycles. This works great if you are doing simple once press cycles. I had a few issues with it on three press cycles and also had a 5 sec one in there to pre-press. My problem was that I evidently lift the handle a touch to soon and the counter doesn't count it if you don't complete the whole countdown. A more regimented person would be fine I guess. There are up to 4 separate timers available within each saved setting so for instance you have a 3 second pre-press then three more 12 second cycles for all the layers on a given design. Pretty impressive. I found that I preferred to just use the basic 10-15 second single press for easy weed and didn't worry about the counter. I do the prepress based on the countdown on the timer and pull it when it goes down about 5 so the counter never even matters on that anyway. 

Threadable platen. I have to admit that I discounted the application of this feature when making my purchase decision. I had not really been able to truly thread a garment on my older presses and just didn't think it would be that big of a deal and I was concerned that to thread you had to push the shirt on upside down. Boy did I underestimate that! I spent the first decent job re-training my mind to work on an upside down shirt. i figured that since I had the threadable platen I should at least give it a chance. After one job of about 30 shirts my brain was re-trained and no longer even an issue (which surprised this old dog). I just looked at the design more in abstract than worrying about actually reading it or visually paying attention to what it was other than my alignment and it was easy to get used to upside down. Added benefit to upside down is that 16"x 20" platen is freakin' huge! I have had two 15" machines and wow what a difference. So something that looonnngg. would be pretty miserable reaching over to the far side. With it upside down the layout is all on the user end and actually makes a lot of sense. The other added benefit is utilizing the thread to avoid neck seams and other nonsense that I always had to use a pillow to get around previously.

Quick change patens. Totally rad man! You know how when you do a hoody and the dang pocket is in the way? Yeah, well slip the big platen off throw on the 11"x 15" sideways and no more issue. Takes about as long to describe it as to do it. I WILL be getting more of the other platen sizes as the need comes along. Some of the toddler garments I have done were still too small for the 11' x15" so I can see the benefit of another purchase soon. 

Swing away and draw. I tried out the draw action. Handy once in a while and very much so when swiping out platens but I found that you had to actually move out of your work zone too much for my liking. The swing was more energy efficient for my work but it's still really cool to have the option and once in a while you just need to get a better look at something and you can just drag the thing out and with the swing also in operation you have a totally unobstructed access zone.

I also like the timer countdown. when it gets to 3 seconds it starts a warning beep with each of the last 3 seconds so if you are across the room you feel more comfortable concentrating on that last weed item or maybe you're chatting it up on the forum between cycles.

Having a pressure gauge is out of this world comforting. I'm a worry wagon and always wondering about pressure and with the live readout you can see what your putting into the press and make adjustments on the fly when going from regular to perhaps adding a press pad behind a pocket. 

Negatives:

Not much to tell the truth

The draw option while not a negative is a little less user friendly that I thought it would be with the garment occasionally getting fouled in the roller drawer mechanism. 

The swing would be nice if you somehow had the option to swing to the left rather than the right only. I'm a republican and have no issue with right minded but occasionally left would be nice as an option. 

The ONLY reason I can think of that I would ever sell this unit would be to upgrade to a newer version if they ever figure out how to make them auto release like the clams. That would be in my letter to santa for sure. 

Conclusion

This press truly holds up to the hype (in spades) and I can tell whoever designed it has spent some serious time behind a press at one time or other to catch all the little minute details that make this thing great. The expense seems high when compared to more budget minded presses but the difference it quality is ASTOUNDING.

This is the best write up I ever read about this and is so on point.

I appreciate it. I was looking for an article like that when I was shopping and couldn't really find it so that's my motivation for the write-up. Just noticed I forgot to add on the threadbare platen that by threading you also stand a better chance of the build crease remaining visible for both sides (assuming they are still in the garment). 

I was dead set on the George Knight until I read your review on the Fusion...now I'm stuck!  My only concern is learning to do them upside down with the fusion....and I like the cap and mug attachments with the George Knight since we're starting out 100% new  in the heat press field! :)

You won't go wrong with either machine. I was concerned about working upside down but it didn't take long to convert. The Fusion weighs about 150 lbs and I think the Knight is clear up at 210 lbs. They are both built super tough. I wouldn't want to try and tread from the top now that I have had the big 16' x 20" platen but I doubt it would be a deal breaker either way. The Knight is a little cheaper. The fusion platens all quick change in seconds and I am unclear on how this happens on the Knight. The fusion is built in such a way that you can thread all the way on where everyone else has a center support on the lower platen so threadability may be less on the Knight. Tough call and I feel your pain but I CAN say that I have never seen a bad review of the Knight swinger other than it being too heavy to lift with one person. The Fusion is pushing that too although I move mine when I have to but am 6'4" 250lbs.  

On a side note. I have a hat press and I doubt that a swing out will function very well with hats. You only have a couple three inches of travel on the platen and the curve on a hat press platen is about that much so you may find it less handy to swing over the hat bill. I bought a used Hot One hat press off ebay and have had great success with it. 

You won't go wrong with either machine. I was concerned about working upside down but it didn't take long to convert. The Fusion weighs about 150 lbs and I think the Knight is clear up at 210 lbs. They are both built super tough. I wouldn't want to try and tread from the top now that I have had the big 16' x 20" platen but I doubt it would be a deal breaker either way. The Knight is a little cheaper. The fusion platens all quick change in seconds and I am unclear on how this happens on the Knight. The fusion is built in such a way that you can thread all the way on where everyone else has a center support on the lower platen so threadability may be less on the Knight. Tough call and I feel your pain but I CAN say that I have never seen a bad review of the Knight swinger other than it being too heavy to lift with one person. The Fusion is pushing that too although I move mine when I have to but am 6'4" 250lbs.  

On a side note. I have a hat press and I doubt that a swing out will function very well with hats. You only have a couple three inches of travel on the platen and the curve on a hat press platen is about that much so you may find it less handy to swing over the hat bill. I bought a used Hot One hat press off ebay and have had great success with it. 

Thanks...ordering a fusion right now! :)

Quick question.  Someone who is 100% new to heat presses...and has 0 equipment in that department (possibly even 0 knowledge with all of this ;)...is this pkg a good idea?  http://www.stahls.com/promos  Or do I not need all of those extras?  I do know I need different platens as I plan on doing kids and adults shirts, etc.