arty-rc

Back up, Back up, Back up

It has been posted over and over again to make sure you back up your files. Many of us do and others don't. I'm one of those that does back up my files. I have the same files in one laptop and two desktops, as well as two external hard drives. Well, the hard drive in my dell Windows 7 desktop quit working last night. I thought something was wrong a few days ago because the unit was very slow booting up. It got to the point that the only way it would boot up was to do a system restore. I did confirm the hard drive was bad by installing it in another computer. Zilch, Nada, Nothing. I'm checking around for a new 3.5 500gb Sata drive to replace it with. The Windows 7 pro program is another story. I had a local computer geek upgrade the Vista program that was on hard drive to Win 7 Pro last year but he has moved out of the area and I don't have the cd or the installation code. Guess it's time to check the big auction site for a valid copy. Hopefully I'll have no major problems with all the installs with my limited computer skills. Just a side note, I backed up all my files on this laptop that I am using right now two hours ago. 

I feel represented in that comment but I'm proud to say through counseling and weeks of therapy I'm recovering. Now my files backup automatically every hour and my entire hard drive gets mirrored once a week. Lesson learned I just wish I had the warning you had.

• Like 1

I just purchased a Seagate 3.0  2TB drive, for just that reason.  But does anyone have a backup program they recommend, or just the windowos one?

I'm running on windows 7 home premium.

I use Dropbox, as it is convenient having access to the files whether I am home or at work.

Dropbox is well worth it , think you get like 1tb free i pay 9.99 a month for i duno how much space but i never use it and they are always upgradeing me to more space for free , i can get to any of my files from any of my phones / ipads / computers , my ipads and phones automaticly send pictures i take to dropbox , love it

If any of you choose dropbox, please use my referral link:

https://db.tt/hyndAuR7

I use the $9.99 version as well, but even the free account is useful. Like Cajun mentioned, the auto syncing of your phone's pics is great.

And you guys feel safe and secure having your important files "saved" on some unknown "cloud" computer's hard drive at some unknown location serviced by some minimum wage geek who could care less??? :blink::wacko::huh:>:D:bear:

I'll stick to local storage that I can control and know who has eyes on it thank you very much!

• Like 2

I Now store local but I did install a program that allows me to access my files from anywhere online.

I do both....Carbonite does an almost continual back-up

and my onsite Seagate 1 TB drive backs-up every night.

There have been times I have over-written a file by mistake but

I can go to the Seagate back-up to retrieve the older file.

The Carbonite back-up would have the newer file already stored.

Plus if there is a fire or other building problem, the Carbonite

files are safe in the cloud where the onsite back-up may be

damaged or lost.

These graphic files (and clipart collections) are too valuable to

take chances with.

Sue2

And you guys feel safe and secure having your important files "saved" on some unknown "cloud" computer's hard drive at some unknown location serviced by some minimum wage geek who could care less??? :blink::wacko::huh:>:D:bear:

I'll stick to local storage that I can control and know who has eyes on it thank you very much!

It mirrors the files locally as well. I also backup to DVDs and an external HD. Way to assume though. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Bought a Toshiba external and it came with software to auto backup. My biggest problem before was everything was on the external so no I keep it on the pc and backup to the external hourly. Also have a second external to backup monthly just in case. This Is one guy who won't be playing the odds again.

If it burns I'm done files or not. Too much work to start over