PhaedrusZen

Plastic tape over the cutting strip?

I started hearing a scratching noise tonight while I was cutting, and initially thought one of my rollers was going bad. On inspection, however, I found that there is what looks like a strip of plastic tape covering the entire white cutting strip, and it has started to curl in a certain spot. Is that something that is supposed to have been removed earlier, or is it something that should be left in place. And if it's supposed to be left in place, does this mean that I've damaged my strip somehow? 

No bad effects during my cuts so far, but the noise is obnoxious. 

Remove it.

That's just a protective tape put there at the factory.

You raise a valid point, nowhere is there an indication that the protective tape should be taken off.

Maybe they should put a sticker on the machine pointing to it?

Thanks for the heads up.

I've already run into issues with lack of Titan 2 specific instructions. On the instructions that the cutter comes with (PDF/videos) it instructs that the pinch rollers should be situated anywhere along the cutting strip but where the indication stickers are placed. On the Titan 2, this is exactly opposite of what you should be doing. I thought I had a broken cutter for a while. (Granted this is my first cutter, and I'm learning about the most basic elements the hardest way possible... who would know what a grit roller is without at least a little instruction/experience...  :rolleyes: ). 

Luckily between all the help available on the forum and the excellent customer service at USC, I've survived so far. You'd be suprised at all the questions I haven't asked after finding excellent answers on this forum. =) 

• Like 3

Ya PhaedrusZen, I wondered the same thing on my new titan 2, I just got mine like 2 weeks ago and i actually removed the tape over the strip and was curious after the fact .I contacted usCutter and ask a tech and they said to leave it , but im glad i didnt,I found a thread somewhere lol that said to remove it ,Hope your enjoying your cutter, ive been doing pretty good with mine ang this is the first time ever using this type of machine ever..If u have any questions ill do my best to help since im a newbie as well...Dwayne..Friend me if u wish..

P.s.  Also my blade doesnt even cut or touch the strip,It should only cut the vinyl etc,not thru the bottom layer ..What are you cutting? material brand etc?

Most techs read from a book of predefined answers which is fine for some things but on here it is real world experience that gets dished out.

• Like 5

Pippin, I've been cutting Oracal 631 exclusively. As far as I know I haven't run off the vinyl and onto the cutting strip at all, which makes me curious as to why the tape would begin to split on the cutting strip. I'm hoping it's simply that the tape got worn out with all the vinyl traveling across it. (I've run something like 300+ yards over it so far.) I've got the blade set to just barely leave a mark on the backing material, and it weeds well. 

I've cut down the tape where it curled up and was dragging on the back of the vinyl, so no more horrible noises. I figure I'll leave the rest and see what happens. 

Upgraded to Titan 2 28' from a cameo silhouette. Getting frustrated! Instructions say do not place pinch rollers in designated area. However, that's the only way the machine works. Any good tutorials for loading smaller pieces of vinyl?

Upgraded to Titan 2 28' from a cameo silhouette. Getting frustrated! Instructions say do not place pinch rollers in designated area. However, that's the only way the machine works. Any good tutorials for loading smaller pieces of vinyl?

pinch rollers must be above knurled rollers on bottom - the right hand side has to be in that first bigger area - other roller can be in any of the small designated areas

With the plastic strip, it doesn't matter if you leave it on or take it off. If you do decide to take it off, make sure you remove the adhesive residue that is left behind. If you don't, the vinyl will catch on it when getting pulled through. I don't have any personal experience with this though. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Phaedrus, I dont have the problem of my blade going off my vinyl. Like you said they dont give much instruction on these machines, so i did a search on the web and it said to remove the clear tape over it ,but it was a different brand they were talking about in the video i found.I ended up calling Uscutter and asking about it and they had no clue what i was talking about so i had to deeply explain in detail what it was lol ,he finally went and looked at a titan2 and realized oh, there is a tape on it and he said you could remove it if needed but not a big deal unless your blade starts pulling it up etc , which mine doesnt even touch it .. lol.. By then i had already removed it , cleaned off the residue and i have had no problems at all..My Titan2 works like a dream. just learning the software is challenging but now that im using Adobe illustrator and sending my work directly to SCALP3(now SCALP4) free upgrade and what a difference wow.I love it ..