Sign in to follow this  
dcbevins

TC Model Laser On

I have a "USCutter TC Series Vinyl Cutter with Laser Registration for contour cutting (ALTC) - Model: 50" with stand" as the confirmation email lists.  It also lists as TC Vinyl Cutting Plotter W/64 MB Memory 50" TC1261.  I understand this is basically a Liyu.  

When I first got it, I procrastinated awhile before assembling, yes a bad idea.  I finally got it up an running.  Used it for a year or so, but never tested the "Laser Registration for contour cutting".

When I got around to trying this option, no amount of selecting "ON" on the ORIGIN CURRENT ON screen will make a little red laser shine, as far all I can tell is supposed to happen.  At the late date it was out of warranty.

I did call USCutter about it and they pretty much just gave me the line that they don't offer support for the laser registration on this model.  Eventually, I got them to tell me replacing the carriage "might" fix the problem.

Hoping it might help, I ordered a Replacement Carriage for TC Series Vinyl Cutters (ALPTCCARRIAGE).  Unfortunately i pulled one of the power lead wires apart fumbling around with it.  It might be fixable with a solder gun.  

My question is do you think replacing the Carriage might make the registration laser come to life, or might my problem be elsewhere?  I dislike disassembling the thing for fear of damage.

It is a Liyu TC1261, the same thing as a Laserpoint 2 besides coloring. See my post here. http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php?/topic/46325-laserpoint-ii-liyu-model-reference/

Here is the way to turn it on, highlight local> hit enter> hit select 2 times> hit enter to change it to off> hit select to go back to origin> hit enter and it should be on.  Make sure your cutting software is open.

If it's not on, the laser is bad or it's something more expensive to fix. 

When I turn the cutter on, the menu LOCAL is already highlighted.  I hit Enter. Hitting Select two times moves it to OFF.  Hitting Enter than changes it to ON, (you said change it to off.)  When I hit Enter with OFF selected I get a new menu with ENTER   EXIT   and the carriage moves slightly to the left.  From a Youtube Vid I watched, this is supposed to be where you set the number of reg marks.  Say I want four, I would hit Enter with ENTER selected, re-selecting it the number times to match the number of reg marks I have then selecting EXIT to take me to the previous menu.  The video example I watched used four.

After I use the EXIT selection, I have tried going back to ORIGIN and selecting it.  I have tried toggling the ON/OFF options again. At no point in any of this does a laser light turn on that I can see.  

The vid example was using Flexi.  When the cut job was sent Flexi had a prompt to manually set registration. The cutter would show another menu with what looked like X Y values, (blurry vid.) It seemed like Flexi was sending a signal to the cutter to display those XY values.   The man in the vid would then use read those values from the cutter menu and feed them into Flexi, four times, (once each for the number of times he entered enter in the menu I was describing.)

I just have Signcut Pro.  It has a menu for setting the calibration for registration marks, but I am not sure I understand the whole thing.  If the laser did come on I think I could figure it out and progress.

If it is a bad laser, is it a replaceable part?  What do I look for?  Would a new laser be in a Replacement Carriage part?

Looking at the replacement carriage I borked, I think I see the laser.  I'll see if I can power it with something to test.

Sounds like there may be some software/firmware differences between the 2 cutters also.  Laser is gold with 2 wires exiting the top.

I just checked and They are using the same picture for both replacement carriages and the laser is included.

QUOTE> "Here is the way to turn it on,

highlight local> hit enter> hit select 2 times> hit enter to change it to off> hit select to go back to origin> hit enter and it should be on."

I have the TC 631 as well. When the display says "ON" is when the laser is on.

No real consequence but, the manufacture info you posted also lists my 24 " model as having just 2 pinch rollers... it actually has 3.

QUOTE> "Here is the way to turn it on,

highlight local> hit enter> hit select 2 times> hit enter to change it to off> hit select to go back to origin> hit enter and it should be on."

I have the TC 631 as well. When the display says "ON" is when the laser is on.

No real consequence but, the manufacture info you posted also lists my 24 " model as having just 2 pinch rollers... it actually has 3.

When mine shows "off" on the screen the laser is on. 

Depending on the year made the 24" came with 2 or 3. USC shows the LP2 with only 2.