Sign in to follow this  
1720leslie

Applying glitter layers

I am looking for a way to basically cut an outline within an outline to layer glitter vinyl. I know how to shadow a layer to make 2 layers but am unsure how to take that shadowed layer and cut the same design out as the top layer, so that the top layer would be adhering to the shirt and not the vinyl.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I suspect you are using SCALP as that seems to be what the cutters are coming with now. I don't know my way around the SCALP program enough to help you do it the way I would in AI but you may be able to do it sort of bootleg style. Try cutting both layers at the same time when you are cutting the lower layer that needs the pieces out of it. It should cut both colors and will create the lines where you want them and you can just weed them off and have it ready to go. I don't know if that makes sense but you should have cut by color options and you aren't stuck to cutting just one. 

I am looking for a way to basically cut an outline within an outline to layer glitter vinyl. I know how to shadow a layer to make 2 layers but am unsure how to take that shadowed layer and cut the same design out as the top layer, so that the top layer would be adhering to the shirt and not the vinyl.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Leslie,

Yes, this is what most people on the Silhouette forums are calling "trapping".  For SCAL i would create a shadow a little larger than the original-create 2 originals because one is gonna disappear-  of course and place my original on top of the shadow and go to the Path tab and click "front minus back" i believe.Or "back minus front" . If one doesn't work click "undo" and try the other.  I am not on my program computer right now so i can't try it. Then you should have a "hole" to place your original glitter image in. 

This is how my mind sees it :rolleyes: - if anyone else has ideas, please chime in.