Sign in to follow this  
lablover

2 color decals....bubbles

Not sure what I could be doing wrong but my 2 color decals are getting bubbles between the first and second layer.  Getting a bit frustrating.  How can I avoid/eliminate....Fix it?

Any help would be great

If you are layering first and then applying the decals you will have a lot of bubbles. It's best to apply each layer separately.

Yea, I'm trying to put the entire decal together before mounting it to the car.  So each layer separate.  Is there a way to eliminate the bubbles when first putting them together, say to ship one?    I'm trying to use paper tape.  Clear seems to work a bit better but clear sucks for fluid application

How do you remove the vinyl from the backing when layering?  Do you peel the tape away from the backing, or do you flip it over and peel the backing away from the tape?  If you pull on the tape, then you can stretch the vinyl a small amount which will result in bubbles forming.  

Try flipping it over and peeling the backing away while the tape lays flat on your work surface - then pick it up, flip it over and layer it.

• Like 3

How do you remove the vinyl from the backing when layering?  Do you peel the tape away from the backing, or do you flip it over and peel the backing away from the tape?  If you pull on the tape, then you can stretch the vinyl a small amount which will result in bubbles forming.  

Try flipping it over and peeling the backing away while the tape lays flat on your work surface - then pick it up, flip it over and layer it.

Aghhhhh  I will try that next time!!

It's next to impossible to layer them before installing without getting bubbles. The thickness of each layer allows bubbles to get between when laying them down. It's better to install them one layer at a time.

• Like 2

Like others have said layer them on the car. First layer dry, second layer wet to line everything up,then squeegee well to get all the liquid out. When you layer them before application it looks good but applying it to the car will force air between the layers and it will never look right, the small bubbles will go away after being in the sun for several days but the large ones need to be punctured and hit with the squeegee. Trust us when we say to layer them on the vehicle we speak from experience.

• Like 2