Sign in to follow this  
101LEDs

USC "Value" 3D printer?

Sweet this may be my gateway into 3D printing! Couldnt justify spending $2000+ for something I don't yet even know how to do so maybe this is a good alternative. Are there any reviews from customers to see if it's worth the money or not? 

Sweet this may be my gateway into 3D printing! Couldnt justify spending $2000+ for something I don't yet even know how to do so maybe this is a good alternative. Are there any reviews from customers to see if it's worth the money or not? 

I'm in that same boat.. $1800 for a 3d printer was just out of my reach but $599 is just inside my reach ..

Moody if you do some research let me know   Thanks :)

• Like 1

No reviews on USC, they are taking preorders. Says they will ship at the end of Nov. to second week of Dec. depending where you read.

• Like 1

I just saw that video through my email before signing on here. Ive been tossing around the idea of a 3d printer.....but cant figure out what I would really use it for.

I just saw that video through my email before signing on here. Ive been tossing around the idea of a 3d printer.....but cant figure out what I would really use it for.

yep.. i want one cause i cant hehee 

end of story.. hehe not sure what i would use it for .. maybe for my daughters school projects hehe i would find something 

I would like to use one to make custom truck emblems since 95% of my work is custom truck graphics and wraps. Something to rival Billet Badges but at a much more affordable price. I have a good niche and great following in the custom truck world I think this could be a whole new business endeavor. 

http://www.billetbadges.com/

I agree it would end up being a toy. I really don't think you could use it to make a profit, but it would be fun to play with.

• Like 1

If I can get the software to learn/play with while I wait on the machine for a month I'm going to get one. Lets see how that works.

If I can get the software to learn/play with while I wait on the machine for a month I'm going to get one. Lets see how that works.

let me know how it works out i would like to do the same thing!

• Like 1

Ok, it's not looking good now..  Their software is a print only deal, zero design options in it. Design software goes from basic free to $3000. The Ez3D software is available for DL, but didn't do anything except look for a connected 3D printer when I tried it.

If you want to play with designing in 3D with no download, https://www.tinkercad.com/    It has some functions and tools (group,scale,etc) that will be familiar to many people

Below is a response I received today, and awaiting one more follow up.

Hi,

So our software is not actual design software. It takes a 3D file and just translates to the printer. So the software you would need is a 3D design software, specifically one that exports in .STL format (which most do). The price range will be huge, you can spend a relatively small amount on a design software or spend thousands. But for our printer all you need is one that can export into .STL and our software does the rest. Does that make sense? I would look at our software like iTunes. It can print your .STL files and also store them in a library so you can easily organize your prints, it just cannot make the .STL file. Hopefully this makes sense! You should check our the videos we have posted about our software: https://www.phoenix3dprinter.com/support.html

This makes for interesting reading, and doesn't instill confidence.

http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.php?5144-EZ3D-Phoenix-3D-Printer-Review

The pricing has went from $399 to $699 in little over a year.

I will be waiting to decide until a later date. :mellow:

• Like 1

Follow up, with more answers.

Hi,

We use solidworks for the most part here but that is a professional program that cost quite a bit. We just use it for development and improvements of our printers. I have also heard good things about blender I think it was called and turbocad. There are just so many out there that it is hard to keep track of all of them. 

Exactly, we felt that there would be a large group of people that would want a design software that was really basic, but then that there would be another group that would want a much more advanced design software. This is what led us to develop the type of software we have. It meant that customers could get the design software that was right for them and then they could just export the design and our software would take over from there. Almost all design software is capable of exporting in .STL which is a great thing about our printer, you can continue to change the software you use as your needs change and compatibility will not be an issue. 

As for the motors they are stepper motors.

Yes that is completely normal. Our software requires our printer to use, so if you try to download it without the printer hooked up it will not work.

Hope this helps!! 

The guys at my shop use solidworks and it is a pretty bad ass prgram and pretty costly as well