CajunCustom

Heat Transfer Vinyl

Iron on is made but doubt it is very durable. As for using HTV and applying with an iron I think it's temporary at best for the most part. I'm sure someone will chime in with more info.

well i see you can buy different colors of HTV thats why i was wondering if you can cut out a pattern and then iron it on

You use a heat press. Iron your not going to get even contact throughout the design.

• Like 1

A rep from siser has been on and said iron on will work but it's difficult to get consistent pressure and won't last as long as a heat pressee shirt

You do cut it the same as regular vinyl except mirrored. You are cutting on the side that goes toward the shirt. I know a few people who started out with irons but like has been said it's probably tough to get a good even press. 

• Like 1

Irons will work.  Push hard on high heat.  Put something hard under the bottom of the shirt.  The girls do it on the other crafty forums.  I used an iron a couple times to put htv on a few hats.  It did a good job and has held up well.  

I have used an iron for awhile now with my htv and my shirts have held up good...  

I thought I saw on another site where they made a vinyl specific for iron on and no heat press needed.

For the life of me I can't remember where I saw it

I thought I saw on another site where they made a vinyl specific for iron on and no heat press needed.

For the life of me I can't remember where I saw it

I thought I saw it someplace too!

Here they are using regular Sisser flock...on something that

won't get a lot of washing.

http://www.expressionsvinyl.com/t-shirt-vinyl.html

Takes lots of time and muscle though....wouldn't want to do a bunch

but for one or two items I guess it would be okay.

Cricut is selling an "Iron-On" HTV in stores....same instructions as

above.  Pre-press...HOT IRON (300+) and pressure...

Okay for Moms at home doing quick SMALL  jobs....

Might be interesting to do a test on one shirt with both

methods and see how it holds up.

Sue2

I thought somebody had mentioned signwarehouse had the hand iron stuff but I know people on here have ironed siser and at one time a siser rep was on her and said it would work just have to be careful to get enough heat and pressure in it,

I think the HTV the sell at Michael's and Joann's is just repackaged HTV from Siser, Stahls or similar.  It's all applied at home with an Iron.  Buy a foot or two of EZ Weed on your next order from USCutter and test it out on a few of your own shirts.

I would stick to small designs and would think about investing in a heat press before you start selling shirts to paying customers.

Sometimes it can take 5 - 15 wash cycles before you see the HTV fail prematurely. 

http://www.joann.com/silhouette-smooth-heat-transfer-material-9inx36in-heat-transfer-vinyl-heat-transfer-t-shirt-transfer-silhouette/zprd_12562286a.html#q=silhouette&start=11

Have to be careful with the statement money is not a problem, there are some expensive toys on here people have posted about. :)

Geo Knight are suppose to be a really good press, at least that was the recommendations when I was looking around. They were out of my price range for a hobby though. I think Hotronix was the other high end machine that I found mentioned a lot, again, out of my price range.

• Like 1

I run the Hotronix Fusion. I think they sell for around $2250 now. They were a little less when I bought mine. The Geo Knight presses are similar high quality as are Hix. Depending on your needs/wants you will have to decide on a swinger vs a clam. Clams are cheaper but also have the upper platen right above your hands all the time. There are other high end machines but those are probably the 3 most chosen by individuals. Just be sure you get something at least 15" x 15". Anything smaller is going to make things hard to get lined up. The Fusion and the Geo Knight will have interchangeable platen sizes that will allow you to choose the right size for the job (all for just a little additional investment of course) and they are really handy. I chose the Fusion specifically because it is the only one that is truly "threadable" so you can slide shirts and hoodies on and only work on one side of the garment at a time. I use a smaller 11" x 15" platen for kids and ladies shirts and turned sideways to get at the front of hoodies between the neck and the big lower pocket without having to use a press pillow. 

There are also entry and mid level options available as well and many of them give good results for a LOT less initial investment. I usually point beginners at this swinger: https://www.uscutter.com/15-x-15-Digital-Swing-arm-Heat-Press But there are many many to look at. If you go for a clam just watch that the upper platen has a center point type connection which allows the platen to adjust to different material thickness. The really low budget models are solid mounted to the upper arm and are hard to get good even pressure on thicker things like hoodies because the back of the platen will smash extra tight while the front doesn't make good contact due to the thicker garment. Auto open are nice but be a little careful because if it too low a budget model and something goes awry with the magnetic hold down you will be screwed because the budget models are hard to get parts for. 

I used one just like that swinger for a couple years. They aren't built to last forever but are pretty decent to break into the game.  This is all just my own opinion on this stuff but I do mostly pressed vinyl work on a myriad of garments from basic tee's to sports uniforms. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 87sDetour said:

Ok after u cut and weed the htv do u put the clear transfer paper on it for the customer to purchase?

I press it to the garment - no way to know if the "customer" has an adequate heat press that applies even pressure at the right temp for the required amount of time.  selling it to them to apply is a sure way to make a bad name in the business when they don't apply it right.

• Like 3