Sign in to follow this  
busterbay

Screen Printing Question

What type of ink is used to screen print on corplast & vinyl  that will be used outside ?

I have been searching the web but I find many conflicting answers.

The nasty stinky volatile kind. I have a can at the shop from texsourceonline.com and I can check what it is but if you don't have a ventilated properly set up work area don't mess with it. I decided my brain cells were worth more than the little money I'd make messing with it.

What I have used does not smell. There is some out there that are very smelly and bad but there is others out there that are not. This is a political year here and I have done welll over 10000 signs in the last few months. Do them right in my shop and the smell is comparable to running the Mutoh if not actually lighter. Talk to a local rep from a supply house for your area and see what ink set best fits what you are looking to do and where you are looking to do it. Ask mim or her about proper emulsions, thinning and cleanup chemicals also as it is all different from running plastisol or water based inks. 

I think it is super easy to do and a great profiting product to offer your customer base. But do not just go buy ink and give it a whirl without talking to someone with real world experience and a vast knowledge of the products out there. 

• Like 1

Would you mind sharing a brand name or product number. 

How are you drying? uv? heat tunnel? or air drying? Air drying will give off the worst fumes. heat tunnel or conventional conveyor drier if not vented will produce smell. If vented properly will give great results. Easy to vent if your not cause you will need a vacuum table also and can plumb it all in together with a little creativity and have it all vent outside so the noise from the vacuum is not a bother also.  UV conveyor almost not at all. Best i have used that is not a uv cure is inktec. Also Kolorkure is a good ink set. 

How are you drying? uv? heat tunnel? or air drying? Air drying will give off the worst fumes. heat tunnel or conventional conveyor drier if not vented will produce smell. If vented properly will give great results. Easy to vent if your not cause you will need a vacuum table also and can plumb it all in together with a little creativity and have it all vent outside so the noise from the vacuum is not a bother also.  UV conveyor almost not at all. Best i have used that is not a uv cure is inktec. Also Kolorkure is a good ink set. 

I'm in the learning phase at this time. I would like to expand beyond cut vinyl.

I found that with the margins on wholesale print coro at least for now I just sub it out. Now that I have a few thousand extra sf to work in I may go back at it when I get some time and yeah I was air drying and that crap was worse than painting cars.

I found that with the margins on wholesale print coro at least for now I just sub it out. Now that I have a few thousand extra sf to work in I may go back at it when I get some time and yeah I was air drying and that crap was worse than painting cars.

Sounds like good advice I may just limit my experiments to textiles.

if you have the room and a decent setup it is a nice profit and easy job. figure a hour setup and cleanup per color, and can easily run 100 prints a hour without to much work. 

I need to find somebody willing to show me because the self taught so far did not yield the desired results. Went from 1000 sf to 6000 so I finally have the room if I can get it all figured out.

well, i dont know if I will do any more this season but if I do I could surely make a video

• Like 3