Casper Lauritsen

Converting Silhouette Studio files into Graphtec Studio files

Hello!

My name is Casper and I live in a tiny country called Denmark, all the way over in Europe :-)

I've had my little sticker-business for 2 years now, while studying at the same time. I've been using the Silhouette Cameo with Silhouette Studio. It treated me very good, but while my business grew, the cutter became too small.

Last weekend i ordered a brand new Graphtec CE6000-60, which i just received a couple of hours ago. Looks very good.

I've noticed that the Silhouette Studio software and the Graphtec Studio software look very alike. Basicly, they're similar.

I was therefore hoping, that i could open all my Silhouette files in the Graphtec software, but no. Doesn't work.

Have any of y'all had any luck converting your existing files?

Silhouette offers some software upgrades, i'm wondering if the upgraded software, has the ability to somehow save the files in the correct format.

Here's a quick overview on the basic-, designer- and business edition features:

http://www.silhouetteamerica.com/software

I hope some of you will be able to help me out.

Thanks in advance.

Casper Lauritsen.

Please excuse me for my inperfect English, I hope you understood it anyway.

Hello Casper and welcome to the forum.

Congrats on the new Graphtec you're going to really like it. 

Sorry I don't work with or know anything  about the Cameo but someone should be around to lend a helping hang.

Welcome to the forum.

Maybe you can try this as a solution:

A quote from Jmas:

I use Graphtec Studio, which is basically the same thing, and it can't export either. I was googling a while back and found that you can install a PDF writing program and instead of cutting or saving your file, click print and select the PDF writer, which will make it create a PDF with your image inside. You can then open the PDF with inkscape and export the image as eps. 

Thread: http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php?/topic/44120-can-someone-with-silhouette-studio-convert-a-file-for-me/

Hey Jarrotto. Thanks for the warm welcome.

It appears, that you've copy-pasted the link from this thread, not the one you're quoting. Or am I wrong?

You are welcome, and i did post the wrong link and have corrected it.  Looks like your other post follows a similar path.  can you try "printing" it as a pdf without saving it as a jpeg.  Then hopefully it might embed the vectors in a file.  I have never used Silhouette studio so i won't be of much help.

Correct thread: http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php?/topic/44120-can-someone-with-silhouette-studio-convert-a-file-for-me/

It appears an earlier version of silhouette had an option to export files.  Maybe you can check into that.

More info here: http://forum.make-the-cut.com/discussion/36019/studio-files-to-svg-can-it-be-done

Looks like you need to find Silhouette Studio 1.9.0d and purchase a "Designer Edition" upgrade card as this is the only version that allows the .studio file to be exported to an .svg files.  They deleted this feature in updates of the program.

I am going through this right now also. Are you using a mac or a PC? Like what Jarrotto said, it is my understanding that if you have the most current upgrade and the "Designer Editions" you can save your files as a .svg file, however this seems to only work on PC's. I use a Mac and do not have this option.

I have looked for a lot of ways around this on the internet, and the only way I have figured out is is to take my file in silhouette and fill it in with a color and  print it, then (on a mac) you have an option to select .pdf in the print box and save as .pdf it is a lot of steps. I think these are similar to the steps in the link you posted earlier from the catscrapfever blog.

Just received this reply from Silhouette America's support line. Not much help to get there..

"Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry. The Silhouette Studio® is only currently capable of exporting (or saving) into a STUDIO file format, which is the native proprietary file type for the software. There are currently no other file types that the software can export or save.

If you may wish to provide an image to a non-user of the Silhouette system to view how the program you are working on appears, you may opt to take a screen clipping (as directed at http://www.take-a-screenshot.org). This will allow you to create a PNG or JPG file, as may be desired. There is not a method of exporting a vector file for other software programs. We are sorry for any frustration this may cause. We will relay the desire to see such considered for potential future updated versions.

Let us know if you have any other questions."

Does anyone know if the above posted info is still accurate? I need  to get several hundred traced files from Silhouette Studio into Graphtec Studio. Both are products of Graphtec Corporation and it really makes no sense to have virtually identical software programs that are not able to open each others' files. Ideally, I'd like to be able to use the CE6000 with Silhouette Studio. Anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks in advance!

Does anyone know if the above posted info is still accurate? I need  to get several hundred traced files from Silhouette Studio into Graphtec Studio. Both are products of Graphtec Corporation and it really makes no sense to have virtually identical software programs that are not able to open each others' files. Ideally, I'd like to be able to use the CE6000 with Silhouette Studio. Anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks in advance!

I just tried something that you may be able to do,   I have Flexidesigner which is also it's own format. FS..  I opened Flexidesigner  imported a Flexi file, Highlighted the file and copied it.  I also had Graphtec Studio open and out of the way a little,  I was able to paste that Flexi file into Graphtec Studio.

You could try this also,  Although I don't know anything about Silhouette.. You can download Graphtec Studio now from the Graphtec website,,,,  Have both programs open  .minimize them,.. Copy from Silhouette and see if you can paste into Graphtec Studio. If it works for you, you would not have to change every file at one time, but maybe as you use them..

I just tried something that you may be able to do,   I have Flexidesigner which is also it's own format. FS..  I opened Flexidesigner  imported a Flexi file, Highlighted the file and copied it.  I also had Graphtec Studio open and out of the way a little,  I was able to paste that Flexi file into Graphtec Studio.

Your could try this also,  Although I don't know anything about Silhouette.. You can download Graphtec Studio now from the Graphtec website,,,,  Have both programs open  .minimize them,.. Copy from Silhouette and see if you can paste into Graphtec Studio. If it works for you, you would not have to change every file at one time, but maybe as you use them..

Good thinking, but unfortunately it didn't work. I also tried to drag/drop from Silhouette Studio to Graphtec Studio- still no good :(

Thanks

I noticed that Silhouette also saved as a GSP  *gsp.. file, in drop down box.   And I tried that also.  Because  Graphtec Studio shows it imports *gsp files. ...It didn't work for me...    I tried changing the file to GST,  That didn't work..

Is there a PRO version of Graphtec Studio? The free Graphtec Studio's help files refer to a PRO version for additional features. I've had no luck finding this software.

I wish we could get this figured out or be able to cut straight from Silhouette Studio.  I am having problems with the graph tech studio changing the size of my images before it cuts!  EER I have 50 shirts that need to be done by this weekend and i work a full time job and can only work on them at night.  I have wasted 3 yards of htv and want to throw my machine out the window, though it's a little too large to fit!!!

MK Creations called Graphtec and asked about the Graphtec Studio Pro. They told her that version isn't out yet. I have an older Adobe CS2 and was trying to learn that with Inkscape also. Also, all the vector files that are posted here eps, svg, etc don't open in Graphtec Studio (at least for me). The Adobe CS2 opens them fine though. When I make a simple word or phrase in GS and cut them out, and then try to save them, the ONLY option for me is Graphtec Studio. Seems like they are a little proprietary  :rolleyes: