Sign in to follow this  
joker

When it rains it pours

Well was going to finally look into and purchase a heat press and some other stuff.  Well all that went out the window yesterday when i found out my septic tank drainfied is pretty much shot.. Found three of the four lines going out from the distribution box completely filled with mud. So it will have to be replaced and looking at anywhere between 3,000 to 5,000. I should know today when i get home from work what the cost will be. 

But at the end of the day i will not let this get me discouraged or down. 

Good luck with that! Around here if your drain field needs to be replaced they force you to install a completely new mound system. $20k - $30k

Oh the rewards of being a homeowner. I have owned my homes since i was 21 except for a few years living in Virginia that i rented. There have been many times over the years that i wish i rented when large repair bills come up the one saving grace for me is i can do it all my self . My rental properties have been the biggest head aches.

Yeah i have a guy coming out today to give me a quote. That is part of being a homeowner. That is why i never got into owning rental properties..  It is just a bad time of year when you have two children with christmas coming up. But like i said my head will stay up and and get it done and move on..

• Like 1

I had a friend with the same problem a few years back and we had a ditch digging party where we dug all the lines and another friend layed all the pipe and stone. The we buried it all and in the end it was like $500 and a bunch of burgers and beer. Something to think about.

• Like 2

There is a guy around our area that has a sewer cleaning business and can sometimes revitalize an old drain field depending on the design. High pressure water jet system that he runs in there similar to the ones they use to clean sewer mains. Never had to use him. In Idaho you can replace your own system without a license if it's your house. County still wants to come inspect (assuming you even tell them you are doing it)

• Like 1

Yeah Wildgoose they require permits here in the county a live in but most dont pull the permit cause you know how the cities and counties can be..  All the people i called stated that the drain field is pretty much shot and it would need to be replaced.. 

Jaybird that has crossed my mind..

Don't get discouraged...Maybe the heat press and other equipment can generate enough income to help pay for the repairs!  Time to sharpen your pencil.

• Like 1

Joker I do feel your pain because mine is getting bad too. When we get a heavy rain my toilet takes forever to go down because nothing is making it through the leech field. Up here sand fills the pipes over time.

• Like 1

Sometimes they can be revitalized like Wildgoose stated. but all lines are packed full of mud so i think best thing for me is to have it redone and move on..  Jaybird i would not let that go to much longer or you could have a disaster..  Price you pay for having septic and not city sewage...lol

• Like 2

Check into some stuff called EZ Lay or EZ Flow.  in my area the county allows you to use less square footage of this than a conventional rock and pipe drain field

• Like 1

Sometimes they can be revitalized like Wildgoose stated. but all lines are packed full of mud so i think best thing for me is to have it redone and move on..  Jaybird i would not let that go to much longer or you could have a disaster..  Price you pay for having septic and not city sewage...lol

I just pray for no rain lol. Honestly I'm home so little it barely matters and I've been toying with selling my trailer and land and just putting in an apartment above the store.

Jaybird that would not be a bad idea at all..   But one thing for sure with all this happening my kids will still have a great christmas..

• Like 2

seams like they could learn to frack them too!.   haven't done the field yet nor the roof for 20 years so holding my breath - the 3 yr old dishwasher gave up so had to order new one right before trip to be installed after we get back . . . (installed by me that is), camper is being completed right now literally within an hr of us leaving for the cruise - oh yeay that was twice the estimate - wooosahhhh - woooossaaahhhhhh - joker repeat with me we both need it wooo sahhhhh

• Like 2

Dakota i had my roof done four years ago. I actually got a brand new stainless steel dishwasher for 100 dollars about 6 months ago. My brother in law had a house built and he did not like the dishwasher due to it was to loud so i bought it from him.. Guess he has more money to throw around then i do  lol

Woooo sahhh

• Like 2