Im new here and already got in trouble once since ive been on here not knowing where to ask questions and to not post multiple things.So lets see if i can get this right lol..

Ok. so i finally got my cutter up and running and  got my software going as well.I tried to do a text for test with a shadow behind it at attempting layers . I think i did something wrong( I know i did) so im hoping someone has a better way or an idea of what went wrong and point me in the right direction.. Here is the 2 images i cut, but i did not try to apply to each other cause i realized i had the wrong transfer tape lol and i have no clue about how to have a registration mark correctly placed and sized..So im hoping to get help with both things.So i am ordering my new tape tomorrow for doing layers.Any Suggestions On Tape from us cutter ,I think i need low tack as well since im using oracal 751.

The Font is Called Authentic Hilton.

The top image is my top layer and the dark image is my Shadow. I Noticed the "i" is welded and i dont know why.

My cutter is a Titan 2 W/ Sure Cuts A Lot 3 Pro

Running Adobe Illustrator cs6 And Photoshop Cs6

post-88251-0-86649500-1413953265_thumb.j

There doesn't seem to be anything wrong here.

(not sure what's happening with the descender of the 'p')

Stuff like this you can freehand register, by eye.

What you do is simply tape the silver, remove it from the backing paper and then lay that entire taped portion over the black, and your decal is ready for application.

If the plus sign in your image is your registration mark then there is nothing wrong with that..  

You can place registration marks anywhere you want around both images at different sizes.. 

Your i is welded due to size of the shadow you created. 

• Like 1

Here is the final Layers joined together.Like i said this is a test sample.Yes JOKER< the PLUS sign is my registration mark, but i ended up eye balling it cause i couldn't see thru the paper transfer enough to use them. I'm actually doing this on a job for a carpet cleaning company on their van,So i wanted to see how hard it was to do a shadow ,I still don't know what happend with "P". ( Trimmed it before layering) But i was hoping someone could tell me how they do it in Ai or in SCAL. I should of trimmed the dot above the "i"but forgot lol .

Is it possible to Do layers on the vehicles 1 by one and use rapid tack Or should i have them layered as 1 and install as 1 Decal.These are going to be 8 1/2'' tall by 69" wide overall .

Ive been doing smaller jobs and now people are wanting me to do much more so i was offered a chance to bump up my size of work.The carpet van is going to have Red Letters with a Black Shadow on both sides in the size stated above.I wasn't sure what to charge but i came up with 140.00 and the customer was very happy with the cost,Was This a good amount or am i under doing it?

Thank you everyone for your Comments.It means a lot to me ..

post-88251-0-18952500-1413990678_thumb.j

The silver dash on the I is not right and the silver H is not cutting right. I saw that in the first post.

As you should be able to notice, the alignment is off.

Too high at the beginning, and then drops too low at the ending.

Also, the black shadow of the final h is incorrect (djque said it was the silver part which is wrong, but he probably meant the black part) -- it should look the same as the shadow on that "l"

• Like 1

My two cents. You upsized the text for the shadow/black layer and also upsized the registration mark. I would leave the registration mark the original size and add another on the other side (or place both along the top, whatever works best with your vinyl layout). Having the + marks the same size will help line them up better. There is nothing wrong with clear app tape necessarily just don't try to wet apply with it. I do multiple layers one at a time when I can as I find it helps reduce bubbles. I apply the registration marks right on the vehicle and then peel them back off after the install carefully with my fingernail or a plastic scraper. 

Are you doing your designs in AI? If so then thumbs up, if not then step it up buddy. Ha ha! Looks pretty good for getting started. 

• Like 2

Your reg marks need to be the exact same size and location on each layer. It looks like you shadowed your silver reg mark. You should build the entire graphic, add reg marks, duplicate everything for each layer (now you have two complete designs)  then delete all of the black in the first one (leave the reg marks) and all silver in the second copy (leave the reg marks). Cut and layer from there. One thing I do sometimes (because I don't have a light table) is precisely cut out the top reg marks leaving a whole in the app tape for alignment.

+.....youtube

...Goose beat me to it while I was typing 

• Like 2

Thanks Wildgoose,Express2100,djque etc lol

. Im doing it in Ai and SCAL to see whats better and more effective workflow ,But im still a newbee in Ai and SCAL......Ya Slice&Dice i noticed it after the fact on the background.Im trying to figure out how to move nodes in SCAL so i can round off the H and the dot in the "i". .Imi havent been to lucky on help thru youtube and on here etc on how everything works in SCAL.So im trying my best on learning this .And i dont have clear transfer tape yet. so i had to pretty much get lucky on placing one on top of the other so i new it would be off. Im trying to find a easier way to add use registration marks as well.So im hoping someone has help in that dept lol..  or if there is a easy way or correct way to make a shadow in Ai cs6 or SCAL so they are perfect match up... Thank you everyone.

• Like 1

See my previous post.

I'd cancel the order for the clear tape. The only thing I use it for is exterminating a few asian beetles and boxelder bugs from the shop  ;)

• Like 1

I struggled a bit with shadow layers in Illustrator until I got a tip from Wildgoose.

Offset path command under the path menu is your friend. Google it for a tutorial and play with it. Always convert your type to outlines as well. With your text selected click type, create outlines and the text will be converted to a shape. Be sure you have finished editing it though because you can no longer edit it like text. You would also do this prior to running the offset path command. You should also select the entire shape and unite it all together, especially when using cursive fonts.

Like Goose said, I like to use two reg marks. If I were to do what you did above, I would have two reg marks (I like to use the asterisk shape in scalp) a different color, say red, and both the silver and black layer laid out just like they will look when completed. In Scalp, choose cut by color and turn on the red and black colors, cut them together on black vinyl, then do the same with red and silver on silver vinyl. Now you have reg marks on both colors and they will line up perfectly.

Everybody does it a little different, I just though I'd give an example. 

• Like 1

So How how do u apply the top layer when u can barely see thru the tape and get them spot on?

Yes, the clear tape sux.

I use the asterisk and cut away the ap tape from the top half of it to see through the ap tape. 

• Like 1

So How how do u apply the top layer when u can barely see thru the tape and get them spot on?

Two ways come to mind.

1) Build a light box

2) Cut the reg marks out of the app tape. (As described earlier) If your reg marks are lined up then everything else will too. This is why we use reg marks. You will learn to trust in them.

Practice makes it easier and I struggle with it myself so don't get discouraged. You really should get some popcorn and hit youtube though. It's much easier to learn when you can watch someone doing the work.

• Like 1

It can be a little tricky to see through the paper tape but you can usually work though it. I usually tape my second layer in place and make sure it is perfect before I ever remove the backing. I occasionally use Clear choice AT60 for smaller layered work. I have used the GS house brand of clear and wasn't very happy with it. Good luck. You will learn your own tricks as you work through the learning curve. If the design is small enough I often take along a roll of parchment paper like you use to bake cookies and simply pull off the carrier and lay the parchment over the vinyl leaving a little app tape showing on top and then slide it wound until it's where I want it and push the exposed app tape down to hold it while I then mask a proper hinge and finally lift the hinge and remove the parchment and lay it back down in perfect position. (practice this on a flat table to get the process down before applying on a vertical surface.  

• Like 1

Is There anyway of using like a wax paper over the reg marks reversed to prevent the transfer paper from sticking to it which would allow you to make a couple attempts if needed to make the alignment and then lay the rest of your paper and decal down?

Is There anyway of using like a wax paper over the reg marks reversed to prevent the transfer paper from sticking to it which would allow you to make a couple attempts if needed to make the alignment and then lay the rest of your paper and decal down?

Parchment is better than wax and won't hardly stick to anything,cheap too, I'd be worried about wax somehow contaminating my vinyl adhesive on the main design. My wife has big rolls she buys at Costco. You could just pop a small square right on the registration mark and leave the rest alone if you were careful, I think I have seen someone post something like that. 

Oh ok, well i just found this awesome video showing a guy how he does it and i think its awesome .. check it out on you tube.

• Like 1

What would you suggest for clear app material and tackiness(light or medium or heavy.? since i use 651 and 751.And is it possible to apply decals on vehicles windows or doors when they are wet like during light rain as long as i squeegee the decal good enough?

2. How i can i get my image i created to come over into SCAL the way i made it ? What i mean is ,when i make a text word and it has a arch to it, i cant get that arch to stick with it, Am i missing something or is there a way to do this in SCAL if i create it in there? hope i worded this right,, Thanks

In illustrator you have to convert the text to curves. Even if you have converted and then warped it you will need to expand appearance. Look in the object pull down and you can also memorize the key combination that are shown beside each function. Best thing to do before you send it to SCALP is click on the view menu and take a look at the outline mode before sending so you can be sure you have it all like you want. Often in script fonts the letters overlap and you need to combine them. You can usually see the overlaps in outline to be safe.

<Edit> The vid is a good way for smaller stuff for sure like he was doing. Also you asked about clear app tape again. Clear works for small decals fine but has some inherent issues on large stuff and in NEITHER option should you use wet app with clear tape. Wet app with paper tape only. Try it and you will understand why we all say that. 

• Like 1

Rtape AT65 Clear Choice is my favorite clear app tape. I buy it from USCutter. This application tape is formulated to allow a wet install but only on flat surfaces of course. I mostly use it for dry applications or when selling to a customer who will install it dry. Rtape 4076 RLA is good paper tape for a wet install as well. I wouldn't recommend attempting a wet install with other brands of clear tape or installing in the rain. It would seem like the rain could wash dirt back down into your work area during installation causing problems.

The wet install is at 2:44 in this video.

• Like 1