Sign in to follow this  
DMFD

Vinyl Letters w/ an outline

I am totally new to the whole vinyl cutting.  I have been experimenting and learning as I go.  I have been building simply unit numbers for equipment.  I have a request now to build DOT #'s in black with a green outline.  is there a way to do this besides making the numbers in green then making them in black just a shade smaller and combining them?

• Like 1

Think of it this way ---  you want to cut the Green numbers at full size, and then LAYER in the black over those

There is a function called "inline/outline" within the SignBlazer software (Manipulate menu)  ==  you just choose the percentage of size for the outline (and leave no Offset, which would be a white area).

http://support.uscutter.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/GetAttachment/190/24198

I am totally new to the whole vinyl cutting.  I have been experimenting and learning as I go.  I have been building simply unit numbers for equipment.  I have a request now to build DOT #'s in black with a green outline.  is there a way to do this besides making the numbers in green then making them in black just a shade smaller and combining them?

If you type a line of text and make it 72 pts tall, and then type the same line of text and make it 60 pts tall and try to lay the smaller one over the top of the larger one, you'll quickly notice that they don't line up.   You could break the text apart into separate letters and numbers and manually align each combination, but that's a lot of unnecessary work, especially if you're doing multiple vehicles.

Without knowing what software you're using, it's tough to make recommendations, but most software offers some sort of outline or contour feature what will let you do what you're wanting to do.  Please let us know which software you're using and then we can offer specific instructions.

Maybe this will help.

101LED

I like what you did, like the poster, I'm learning to do the same...My problem is how the heck do you cut them?  I have sign cut pro and scal..  For some reason I'm having a mental block on how to cut them..Layers?

The first would by layered. The second ones could be one color or 2 since there is an empty space between them.