Sign in to follow this  
dkipp

Another going to buy a cutter thread

Hello everyone:

Another going to buy a cutter thread, sorry.

So I’ve been looking at this 34 inch bundle on ebay from USCutter, is this ebay site the actual account for USCutter? Does the actual USCutter site offer bundles like this or If I call USCutter do they offer the same deal over the phone? I really don’t know much about ebay. I was trying to keep the cost at the $400.00 range in the beginning, but I already know a few specific colors I want , so I'm sure I'll be above that.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Vinyl-Cutter-Best-Value-Cutting-Sign-Making-Kit-w-Sure-Cuts-A-Lot-Pro-SALE/311098741732?_trksid=p2045573.c100034.m2102&_trkparms=aid%3D555012%26algo%3DPW.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D25410%26meid%3D2441e1c845974727a4bf0b12f9ffc815%26pid%3D100034%26prg%3D10672%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D8%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D300807078267

I will mainly do hobby stuff, airbrush templates, a few car window stickers, glass bottles etc. The reason I decided on the 34 inch rather than the cameo was there’s not a "huge" price difference, and who knows, I may decide down the road to utilize the cutter for bigger stickers (probably will) and I don’t want to be limited to the 12 inch model. I’ve read a lot of people buying the cameo and then upgrading, I’d prefer to skip this step in the beginning.

I will be using a PC and do have access to CS5/6 Illustrator.

I have a thousand questions and this site seems to be great resource to help me, so I’ll try and bother you with nonsense, the search function does wonders. Any suggestions would be welcome

Thanks in advance.
Don

that is the uscutter ebay site - here is the website
http://www.uscutter.com/USCutter-MH-Series-Vinyl-Cutter-w-Sure-Cuts-A-Lot-Pro-Design-Cut-Software

I would seriously consider going up to the sc model and opting for the oracal vinyl option on the site.  do some research on here for the model you are looking for to read about it and compliments/ complaints.  remember that the cutter is the heart of your operation a couple bucks more now will save you in the long run

• Like 3

that is the uscutter ebay site - here is the website

http://www.uscutter.com/USCutter-MH-Series-Vinyl-Cutter-w-Sure-Cuts-A-Lot-Pro-Design-Cut-Software

I would seriously consider going up to the sc model and opting for the oracal vinyl option on the site.  do some research on here for the model you are looking for to read about it and compliments/ complaints.  remember that the cutter is the heart of your operation a couple bucks more now will save you in the long run

Thanks, that link goes to the the uscutter site not their ebay site. If I can ask, why do you recommend the SC model??

I have never used the MH series but I own the SC and people have told me it is a step up. They said I would have pulled (what's left) of my hair out if I had started with the MH. That being said I bought mine used and I am waiting to get the funds for a Graphtec! It does what I needed when I started, but now I am getting a little more quantity and the SC doesn't have enough memory so I have to cut in smaller quantities at a time. But the SC is a solid starter machine.  Oh and welcome to the site!

Butch

• Like 2

My two cents: I wouldn't worry so much about the bundle itself and concentrate on the best cutter you can afford. The rest is all peripheral consumables that you can pick up as you need. Take some time and do some research on the forum and see what people are saying about the models you are considering. I have heard that USCutter sometimes does offer better ebay pricing on some equipment and they also have fairly regular clearance sales. 

Having access to Illustrator will serve you well, especially if you already have some skills with AI. If not they are worth the time to learn. There are several on the forum who are glad to offer tips for new illustrator users and there are already a couple threads that will help out getting started. 

• Like 1

Thanks, that link goes to the the uscutter site not their ebay site. If I can ask, why do you recommend the SC model??

the search box in the upper right is your friend when researching - it has been covered 100's of times

My two cents: I wouldn't worry so much about the bundle itself and concentrate on the best cutter you can afford. The rest is all peripheral consumables that you can pick up as you need. Take some time and do some research on the forum and see what people are saying about the models you are considering. I have heard that USCutter sometimes does offer better ebay pricing on some equipment and they also have fairly regular clearance sales. 

Having access to Illustrator will serve you well, especially if you already have some skills with AI. If not they are worth the time to learn. There are several on the forum who are glad to offer tips for new illustrator users and there are already a couple threads

that will help out getting started. 

Bundles are designed to make the seller more money on one sale the vinyl offered in bundles is not the greatest quality and probably in reality you pay the same or very close to retail when buying the bundle. The minimum grade vinyl I would buy would be oracal 651 or equivelent the store brand vinyls are in most cases not that good.

• Like 2

I also started with one of their ebay bundles. I bought the 34" SC bundle. I think it was  a great way to get started. My SC has paid itself off countless times now. Im saving for a Graphtec but I would highly suggest the SC if its in your budget. Like others have said, when it comes to cutter, buy the best you can afford. I still have a bunch of that greenstar from my original purchase....I didnt care for it. I use it for packing tape. A lot of people dont like SCALP, but its the only cutting software I use. I also have flexistarter10 but it doesnt like the SC memory. I design in CorelDraw x6 and send to SCALP to cut. The more you work with it, the easier and user friendly it is.

I started with a MH721 and almost gave up. then I got a laserpoint 1 from a forum member and it was a lot better. Now I have a graphtec and it a whole nother ball game. Servo motor better tracking contour cut.

I Always tell people to get something that better than the MH series as the cuts and memory on them machines are not good. 

I will say this save your money and get something that will hold its value if you decide to sell it.

this is a Value Cutter Buying Guide from Stahls its really good.

Another option might be finding a better quality used machine. If you have time to poke around in the bushes they come around once in a while. A quality machine like a graphtec will resell easily whereas a budget model really won't. An old saying that holds true for cutters: "The quality remains, long after the price has been forgotten." 

Another option might be finding a better quality used machine. If you have time to poke around in the bushes they come around once in a while. A quality machine like a graphtec will resell easily whereas a budget model really won't. An old saying that holds true for cutters: "The quality remains, long after the price has been forgotten." 

I did just this, I looked around and found a Summa D60 for $695.00.  That was in 2008 and I'm still using it today.  Another good brand is Roland.

Welcome to the forum too.

• Like 1

If you want to play with an mh check craigslist they are on there all the time because people get frustrated with thrm and give up.i know 1 person who has had some success with a mh and he's currently hunting for a graphtec

LOL - I figured since you had posted a link to their ebay site you already had it

Stupid Question: What is the "SC" model???

Edited: Oh, never mind, just found it. US Cutter brand, okay. Got it!

Stupid Question: What is the "SC" model???

Edited: Oh, never mind, just found it. US Cutter brand, okay. Got it!

It is a rebranded Liyu brand vinyl cutter.