Sign in to follow this  
kylesmash

what do you use to remove old vinyl?

Recently I have come across some jobs that I have had to remove old vinyl. 

It sucks, there is nothing fun about it and we all know it takes longer than you hope it does.

My question is

What do you use to remove it?

I was using goo gone just because it was what I had at the time.

I just ordered a bottle of rapid remover in hopes the product actually does what its supposed to.

what have you had success with ?

Thanks for reading 

Decal eraser wheel. If your not used to working with drills it takes a bit of practice. Used it on metal,plastic, and fiberglass but never tried glass.

post-87856-0-63824900-1413587999_thumb.j

I bought some specific vinyl and decal remover from an auto paint store that worked pretty good. It causes the vinyl to wrinkle up and scrape off. Don't know if I would completely trust it on someones vehicle or not. I was removing some from an old sign along the road so it was less critical. kind of expensive and didn't go too far but did as advertised. I usually attempt to heat it with a paint stripper heat gun (lightly) and then use a plastic scraper and get it peeling but if it's old stuff it can really ruin your day as I'm sure you already know. I have used the exact wheel from the previous post and it does ok on small stuff but anything with a lot of wide pieces of vinyl is too much area and it doesn't cut it IMO. 

This is the stuff I bought:    http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/klean-strip-aircraft-decal-adhesive-remover-ead908-p-14856.aspx?kpid=18449&gclid=CI7byqjxtMECFc1_MgodVEoA2w

I use the orange citrus product that USCutter sells for the adhesive. I call it "Agent Orange". Works great for cutting the adhesive although the spray above also removes the adhesive. 

Most of the work I do is on vehicles so I need something that is safe for vehicles.

I don't like the Idea of using a power tool on someones paint.

I'm really hoping that the rapid remover works as well as advertised 

I have a customer that uses John Deere brand decal remover. He says it works great.

I did one today that had old gunk left on it and it was dirty and nasty.. I just used a WD-40 no mess pen and a couple paper towels, worked like a charm.

• Like 1