ajzimm

Is this copyrighted?

I was asked by a customer if I can do the E.O.D. Master Badge. I am trying to find out if it is copyrighted/trademarked. Everything I am finding states that military insignia cannot be reproduced without going through the trademark program, but, does that apply to individual units or just to the main seal for the branches of service?

Any help would be appreciated!

It is trademarked by the DoD and you will need a license to reproduce and sell it.  It's listed somewhere in Title 10 of the US Code.  That applies not only for the service seals but insignia, badges, unit logos, ect.

However you might be good to reproduce based on this from the Marine Corps Trademark office website:

The commercial sale of Marine Corps products requires licensing. However; if you are a business owner, let's say you are a custom t-shirt manufacturer and a servicemember approaches you about making 25 custom t-shirts for their unit. In this case you may create and sell to them the custom product they are requesting. However; if you are not licensed you may not advertise that you can create Marine Corps branded products. Only official USMC Licensees may advertise their Marine Corps branded products. Permission to create Marine Corps products is not given to the private business owner rather, Department of Defense employees, USMC veterans, retirees, active duty members and their immediate families have an implied license to use the Eagle, Globe and Anchor on personal products such as printed materials, literature, briefings, coins and web sites. These items must be intended for internal use and not for sale, advertising or potential endorsements. All such custom products must adhere to USMC design guidelines. If you are at all confused regarding this matter please contact the Trademark Licensing Office.

You can also look here as well and find someone to contact: http://www.defense.gov/trademarks/

They should be able to answer you question better than anyone.

• Like 4

Thanks for posting that info up, ropie.

Cal