Alright, I've only been cutting vinyl for about a week, and while I'm still experimenting with the basics, cutter setup and everything else, I'm really trying to figure out how to streamline my operation. Any experience with organizing a large cut list to maximize efficiency? 

I just shipped out 92 orders in 3 days, have another 100+ that need to go out in 2 days, and then another 150+ lined up for shipment by the 22nd. I'm putting in 12+ hour days on top of another full time job and need to get a handle on the work. 

ANY tips are much appreciated. As much as I'd love to peruse the forums more for ideas and tips, I just don't have the luxury of time right now. (Typing this up is the longest I've sat down all day, and that's after coming off a 24 hour shift...I'm dragging!) 

Right now I think it seems to work out well, to cut out all the orders  for one color, then weed, trim and get transfer tape on them. Is it more beneficial to cut everything out first (all colors at once) or to keep breaking it up like this? Obviously I'll keep experimenting to see what works personally, but if there are some easy tweaks I can make that will get me cranking out that much faster, I'd rather learn about them sooner rather than later. 

Thanks! 

You've made 342 sales in the first week of having your cutter? People are still trying to figure out how to set the blade in the first week. Let alone understand offset. 

How are you selling so much stuff so quick?

For your question, theres no way  for us to give you tips without knowing more about your process now. You asked a very very vague question. You need to ask for tips on a specific process, like layering or applying app tape. Then the forces can show up and help.

• Like 3

I agree with coaster on asking a more direct question to get help.

Is there anything you know you are currently struggling with?

I am also curious about those sales?!?! Dang!

You've made 342 sales in the first week of having your cutter? People are still trying to figure out how to set the blade in the first week. Let alone understand offset. 

How are you selling so much stuff so quick?

For your question, theres no way  for us to give you tips without knowing more about your process now. You asked a very very vague question. You need to ask for tips on a specific process, like layering or applying app tape. Then the forces can show up and help.

I agree with coaster on asking a more direct question to get help.

Is there anything you know you are currently struggling with?

I am also curious about those sales?!?! Dang!

I'm wondering the same thing.  I must be doing something wrong.

I know how he does it...read his profile...He put it out there.. :rolleyes: Com'on guys click a few pages.... has been a biz since 2010 on a popular website.

LOL  you guys wouldn't make good detectives,  It is right under your nose. :ph34r:

• Like 4

Skeeter is right, I'm a hire-on for a home based company. A friend of mine has way more work than she can handle, and I'm the third cutter she's hired. (Don't worry, I know I'm spoiled.) I'm not really struggling with any single aspect. I'm getting faster at applying tape and am down to just the occasional zipper here and there.

I'll give some specifics of how I'm running a job and see if I can't get some feedback on the process...

I have two SCALP windows open, and while one project is cutting I lay out the next one so it's ready. I'm using a zipcutter to cut the graphics off, and I reset the zero point after each cut. (is it worth writing off 5" of vinyl that advances between cuts? Seems like it wouldn't be.) I've been cutting all projects of each color at once, and then taking them all to the table.

I have a weeding border around each individual project and try to cut 2 projects each time I cut (using as much of a 24"x48" mat size as I can). I weed out inside the border, trim the excess for "remnants", and then put it aside and do the next one. Once they are all weeded  and trimmed, I start applying transfer tape using the "APProller" for longer projects, and using a roll of transfer tape that feeds from the bottom for smaller decals so I'm placing the decal down on the tape and not vice versa. For larger graphics I use the mondo trimmer, which is unwieldy and is tearing the crap out of my cutting mat, but gives me clean edges fairly fast. For smaller projects I use a rotary trimmer with a ruler or just freehand it. I was originally given just scissors and an exacto for all the trimming but I can't keep a decent straight line for the life of me.

I squeegee the decals after I've cut them out of the transfer tape. When I started, I was squeegeeing before cutting the decals out of the rest of the transfer tape so they didn't move, but that lent itself to a lot of wrinkles since the excess tape had nowhere to go. 

I'm at about 3-4 minutes to apply tape to a weeded 18"x34" decal, including cutting it out and squeegeeing. Not sure if I'm overdoing it on the squeegeeing, but I really don't want customers having issues with lift off. 

Then it's on to packaging and shipping, which is it's own type of fun...

Not sure if there is anything in there that might  help identify some faster methods for me to try, but have at it. 

Back to the sweat shop! =) 

I need a friend like that. but that 5" could add up in the end.

You can save some of 5" between cuts.  Use the arrow button back to bring some back.,  then hit Origin again...  At least I can with my cutter.

• Like 1

I've been resetting the origin thus far; I was wondering if it would be worth the saved time to stop doing that, but I realize that 5" is no small amount to waste on each cut, so I'll probably keep resetting. Has anyone tried packaging as they go or anything like that? I'm really looking for ideas that can save me time over the entire operation. I'm still experimenting, to see if it's faster to cut a single piece, weed it and apply tape, or if it's faster to group things together. Trying to stay organized is a challenge too. I end up with 2-3 lists with highlight marker all over the place... it's a massacre!  :blink: