Sign in to follow this  
Superoz

First Cut

This is my very first cut on my brand new MH871-MK2 and my very first 2 color. Its is 5.25x5.25  I was using a Circut 6x12 before....... I'm in Heaven with this 30" cut.......

post-88592-0-12100900-1413429746_thumb.j

• Like 5

Nice layering.

Now will your clear application tape stay on the decal when you peel away the backing paper? I have a hard time with cleartape AT60n staying on my stuff. It never seems to hold the decal.

Thanks Jarrotto - Yup I should have bought AT65 - Medium tack. Oh well :)

• Like 1

10580143 942529569093929 8590591835109839508 N

10557399 942529599093926 8860616900691630300 N

Well my first store front... It was good on paper but I should have made the red under shadow a lot thicker you can't really see it unless your about 10ft away.. Oh well you live and you learn. Good thing the store belongs to my Brother..Haha

Nice first cut! ...

I used clear tape all the time, Till i started using the BIG SQUEEGEE and it does not like the clear tape all that well so i have to use the paper tape

Had someone ask for a last min. Personalized gift so I threw this together with scraps I had laying around.

Clear tape is where its at in my opinion.

I have tried the paper stuff multiple times and it has a pain in the butt time grabbing the vinyl.

Plus customers can clearly see the colors of the vinyl with the clear transfer tape.

In addition I have found the clear tape works easier to squeegee out any oops air bubbles. The paper tape just likes to wrinkle.

Clear tape is where its at in my opinion.

I have tried the paper stuff multiple times and it has a pain in the butt time grabbing the vinyl.

Plus customers can clearly see the colors of the vinyl with the clear transfer tape.

In addition I have found the clear tape works easier to squeegee out any oops air bubbles. The paper tape just likes to wrinkle.

You are doing something wrong Boom. I keep some clear tape around for small stuff and for seller applied but use 90% paper. I don't like the GS variant so much I prefer any of the R-Tape variants. Do some searching on squeegee technique and you may find a few things to get you having better luck with paper. Paper is much more stable. 

• Like 1

Not to hijack the thread but is there a clear tape (or best tape) for multi layer application? I want to be able to pick up each layer, apply it, then remove the tape. I have high tack clear and start from the outermost layer and by the time I am on the background there are 4 or 5 odd shaped transfer tapes stuck on there. I tried lifted them off but the slightest pull on the edge fills the vinyl with air.

I use Clear Choice when I do use clear tape. Anytime you make multi-layered stacks there is a high likelihood of getting bubbles somewhere in there. The different layers create spaces that are a natural air trap. There will probably be air under the final install along the edges of the layers too. If you are mailing them off to a self installer then I would warn them in advance. I usually layer as I install so as to avoid the bubbles. 

• Like 1

How is that different than "installing" the graphic in reverse onto the base/bg layer? Wouldn't any air bubbles have formed anyways? I would think if you can install on location without bubbles, then layering to create a RTA graphic would be just the same. Line up the registration marks, then squeegee down as it lays down, and all the other techniques.

If you are on a hard substrate then each layer will have something to adhere to. As you layer your way to the finished product each layer is down and solid before the next goes on. I still use the registration marks and just remove them after the install from the substrate while they are still fresh and easy to pull back off. 

Ah gotcha. You are referring to letting the vinyl adhere so you can remove the transfer tape. I am going to try the AT65 and see how that goes. I am not always going to be able to personally apply the vinyl. I've read some techniques that I am going to try tonight. Thanks for the help as always.

• Like 1