Sign in to follow this  
smendlik

Sometimes you just have to punt when layering

I'm in the midst of making 100 2-layer decals for my daughter's orchestra department and thought I had a plan.  I made a quick and easy layering stand using some PVC and acrylic sheet stock I had laying around where the acrylic was set on a 45 degree angle vertically; I had the decals all cut and weeded with registration marks to align the two layers; I had some lamps to use as backlighting.  I was eager to get started, that's where the plan began to unravel.

I didn't like the 45 degree vertical surface, the lights weren't bright enough, and the registration marks weren't in the most convenient of locations.

I revamped the table to be horizontal and grabbed the 4' fluorescent light off of the ceiling and stuck it under the work surface.  I then had the thought of cutting the backing piece in half to allow me to expose the registration marks in the center of the page which allowed me to apply two decals at a time instead of four, much less problematic.  If you look at the photo of the 4 decals close up you can see that the only exposed and stuck surfaces are the stars right down the center.

So, what's the point of all this?  Two things; First to share what worked for me and what didn't.  Second, to remind you that it's never to late to change the game plan in order to make things work better.

Okay, now back to work during the commercial breaks of Gotham, pretty good new show.

post-34212-0-86985400-1413247151_thumb.j

post-34212-0-61267800-1413247158_thumb.j

• Like 5

I can probably find this answer on youtube but have been unable to find it here. Your post is the topic I am curious about. I need to learn how to make multi color decals for people to self install. I need to learn how to create the final product efficiently. I understand the use of registration marks, but what is best practice? Do you remove layer 2 from its original backing and then apply it to layer 1 as if you were applying it to a surface and then continue to do that until all layers are on a single backing? I think this trade is best for designing the decal, cutting it and applying it for the customer. Right now this is a hobby and small money maker (very small) while I have a full time job and take care of my kids too so most of my work is sold online. The in-person stuff can be tough for me to find the time to install for the customer,