Sign in to follow this  
WeLoveU

Discussion of brand logos & names

Hello to everybody

So here’s the deal. Sign making or decal cutting is not something I have had experience before. I have thinking of about it last 6 months though cause it is not just seems like a way to make living, but really to do something with passion and offer people products that they really love. I have many great ideas about vinyl decals as well some lifestyle products that i really would like to offer to those who are after them. Now the good thing is that there is plenty of information around and googling alone gives you all the basics you need to start off. But there is one particular topic that cuts me off the progress at the moment and that is legality of using logos and artwork. 
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

As I understand (correct me if i am wrong) when you want to use a brand logo for example and sell your product there is two possible ways to do it:

A) Get a permission from original holder of the copyright

or

B)Buy a product from an authorized distributor and sell it then.

Now there is a row of questions I came up but can’t really get the answer that i am looking for from web. 

1. Let’s say you want to get a permission to print and sell a logo of popular brand from an original owner. That does probably require proof of huge sale numbers no matter how good your idea is right?

2. Let’s say i want to buy a large amount of brand name stickers from a random manufacturer. How can I make sure the seller has copyrights? Do I have to ask any particular proof from seller or contact original owner of the brand logo and ask them instead?

3. How can i really determine what can I sell and what not? It is obvious that “Porsche” logo is protected but what about numbers “911” or lets say the letters “GT”.

4. Is there a thing like a logo or brand name manipulation - changing part of the logo or name. For example making a Red Bull logo but having cats’ instead of bulls. Or adding extra letter end of the brand name. For example “Apples” instead of “Apple” which of course means that an user can just remove letter “s” and still have a original name of the brand. Is it legit?

________________________________________________________________________________________________

I know that laws vary in different countries and there is probably no straightforward answers but I would bring as much glance into the subject for myself as well other beginners so one could make his living in honest way. Also i personally would like to create something original not to just copy others products. Any information, experience, examples or articles (if not overly complex clauses) would be much appreciated.

Nice to be here and thanks in advance :)

No one here is a copyright attorney, but in most cases if it makes you think of the original brand,/logo it would be copyright/trademark infringement....There is no percentage of change,,,

You should create your own niche'

• Like 3

Now there is a row of questions I came up but can’t really get the answer that i am looking for from web. 

1. Let’s say you want to get a permission to print and sell a logo of popular brand from an original owner. That does probably require proof of huge sale numbers no matter how good your idea is right?
Some require deposits and set amount of sales regardless if you sell or not.  Generally it's thousands if not hundreds of thousands or more to get permissions. It all depends on the brand. 

2. Let’s say i want to buy a large amount of brand name stickers from a random manufacturer. How can I make sure the seller has copyrights? Do I have to ask any particular proof from seller or contact original owner of the brand logo and ask them instead?
Some random manufacturer is likely NOT going to have the rights and "random" is not the way to go if you plan to sell branded decals. (<<preferred industry term over "sticker") You need to reach out to the respective company's marketing division. 

3. How can i really determine what can I sell and what not? It is obvious that “Porsche” logo is protected but what about numbers “911” or lets say the letters “GT”. 

4. Is there a thing like a logo or brand name manipulation - changing part of the logo or name. For example making a Red Bull logo but having cats’ instead of bulls. Or adding extra letter end of the brand name. For example “Apples” instead of “Apple” which of course means that an user can just remove letter “s” and still have a original name of the brand. Is it legit?
When in doubt, don't even attempt. As Mz SKEETER said, there is no percentage of change that is acceptable. Well that is, unless you are OK with receiving a Cease & Desist letter with potentially, a hefty fine attached.  Search the forum for C & D posts. People have lost their homes over a logo they did not have the rights to reproduce. 

• Like 1

I'll give you the same advice I've given others trying to make money off other folk's Intellectual property.

Put your mind to work at creating your own, original ideas.

One important key to success in this type of business is your creative abilities & skills.

You should start practicing originality now rather than trying to sponge off the popularity of anothers' work.

Just my 2 cents.

(that or, get you some clip art & get in line behind everyone else)

• Like 6

I am not the least bit of an artist so every thing I do is usally the customers art work or an idea that they have and then I pay a graphic artist to clean up my rough sketch and make it usable. I also use open source clip art and images I buy. I have bought several clipart packages( just bought one from signwarehouse for .99 cents but cost almost 12.00 for shiping lol) I only do signs and banners and the like no stickers, decals, or decorations .

• Like 1

just bought one from signwarehouse for .99 cents but cost almost 12.00 for shiping lol)

Many of us bought a CD from Signwarehouse a few years back,  Same deal.  99c -$1.00   FREE ship....I think it is to bring up their feedback...

I appreciate for all the feedback. As i said to other people as well - i don't have any inention to try my luck and get into th rouble with law. I know it is just not worth it. I jus want to educate myself a little bit on the subject.

There is still a chance i might want to try order some brand decals from industrial manufacturer. I certainly want to be sure what i am doing before i take action. The seller is  China based manufacturer with 200-300 workers and having crtifications like CE, ROHS, BUREA VERITAS etc. Just to clear things up here. Lets say it turns out that the manufacturer has the permission to produce and sell certain brand logo. Even if i buy them from authorized manufacturer i still have to get permission from original brand owner to sell them myself ?

Thanks