knucklehead

One monitor, Two computers. Possible?

Is it possible to run two computers on one monitor? Since my printer IS NOT going to cooperate with this Windows 7 machine, I'm thinking about running the Win7 machine, and the XP machine on one monitor. Will have the XP hooked up to nothing but the printer.

I think you could do it. But why would you want to ? Flipping back and forth to 2 different systems just seems like a pain.

I have 2 screens for one computer and think I might get a third. I couldn't imagine having two systems and one screen.

If you have a separate rip computer or one that you use completely offline this is completely viable and used quite a bit. 

You would need what's Called a KVM switch.

It's a little box that your mouse, keyboard, and monitor plugs into.

You simply have to push a button to switch to the other computer and you can use the same mouse, keyboard, and monitor.

• Like 1

If they are on the same wired or wireless network, then you can simply share the printer. The print driver may be different for the XP machine and the Win7 machine. You can install additional driver by going to Start>>Control Panel>>Printers. Right click on the printer and run as administrator>>properties. Under sharing you can add the additional drivers.

KVM switch is probably what I'm looking for.

The Win 7 machine will NOT work with the printer, Epson 9600. Epson never wrote any drivers for Win7. Went from Vista, to 8. "They' say, you can make the vista drivers work. Maybe 'they' can, I can't. 

A good KVM switch might cost as much as a cheap monitor, depending on your monitor connection and video cards, (analog, dvi, hdmi.)

A potential no cost solution would be to use some free remote desktop software like RealVNC or possibly the built in desktop sharing depending on your OS.  There are ton of remote desktop apps available.  The down side is software can be slow, depending.

You probably want to get the keyboard, mouse and sound shared.   Some remote desktop software can do this, but certainly a KVM switch can.

Some monitors have dual inputs, one analog and another digital.  Possibly you could plug both computers into the single monitor and use the monitors controls to select the input.  However you probably would need two keyboards.

If it's just the monitor you want to share, your monitor may have a switch built in to go from analog to digital connection. If you monitor has both an VGA (9-pin) and a DVI connection, it probably has it.

• Like 1