Wildgoose

Biggest order ever!

So I got my biggest order to date! Lots of late nights to follow. I'm lucky that they only need about 140 hoodies real soon and the rest of the order is for their inventory and can get done a little later. 

My cutter on it's stand is hiding behind there.

post-20133-0-19009400-1412735383_thumb.j

• Like 9

Nice, sounds like the summa is going to get a workout. I am sure it can handle it.

• Like 1

you cutting vinyl on all of them?

Yep. Lots of cutting. These guys used to do screen printing and I was in there store buying stuff (construction supply) and was looking at the colors on the shirts they had just done and the red was looking pretty flat so I took a pic and went home and made them a sample in HTV and that was the last order of screen print they ever did and now I do their stuff in HTV. They are converted! I know the owner pretty well and they didn't realize I did shirts until I surprised them. 

• Like 1

I'm currently working on HTV for 60 shirts and I'm hating life.  

I didn't have enough time to get them screen printed. 

• Like 1

that is alot of work for HTV.. Nice job on landing that order Wildgoose

I don't envy you!

Yeah, that's a lot of HTV... I do 20-30 shirts at a time for my

Window Cleaning guys...

It's only one color but 2 sides and detailed logo. 

Takes forever to get the weeding done.

Hope you got a good price for them.

My window guy had screen print before too and it faded with all the

washing the t-shirts got.  The HTV stands up to the frequent washing

and actually out-lasts the shirt fabric.

Find a "volunteer" to help.

Wouldn't one of them two station presses be great right now?

Of course, the screen print could have been a poor quality job.

Maybe Jay or others can chime in here .... is there a better quality

fabric paint/ink that would hold up better without fading badly?

Congrats!

Sue2

This is definitely a big job. 413 total shirts and hoodies combined. I realize this is well into that part of the market that screen printers starts paying off big time but the bright red that they like on navy blue is the selling point plus the longevity in a construction industry. I have my kids help with the weeding or since I work out of my home I sit and watch tv while I weed and just stack them up and then go press later. 

This is definitely a big job. 413 total shirts and hoodies combined. I realize this is well into that part of the market that screen printers starts paying off big time but the bright red that they like on navy blue is the selling point plus the longevity in a construction industry. I have my kids help with the weeding or since I work out of my home I sit and watch tv while I weed and just stack them up and then go press later. 

413!!!! Good job!

When weeding bunches of HTV...

To  prevent HTV pieces from sticking together, grab some of your old liner paper and cut to size...

lay in between each weeded piece.  It helps a lot and prevents dust, dog hair, food crumbs,

etc.from getting on the sticky transfer sheet.

Sue2

• Like 1

Another tip.  

Close the lid of your heat press and heat the bottom platen of the press for about 2-3 sec.

Then place the HTV sticky side up to warm it up a bit and now weed it.   Weeds like butter.  

Another tip.  

Close the lid of your heat press and heat the bottom platen of the press for about 2-3 sec.

Then place the HTV sticky side up to warm it up a bit and now weed it.   Weeds like butter.  

Interesting..... I will be giving this a try soon.  I don't really have trouble weeding HTV but if it makes it even easier..... I'll do it!

Thanks for sharing that tip!

Interesting..... I will be giving this a try soon.  I don't really have trouble weeding HTV but if it makes it even easier..... I'll do it!

Thanks for sharing that tip!

Let us know how you like it!

Yep. Lots of cutting. These guys used to do screen printing and I was in there store buying stuff (construction supply) and was looking at the colors on the shirts they had just done and the red was looking pretty flat so I took a pic and went home and made them a sample in HTV and that was the last order of screen print they ever did and now I do their stuff in HTV. They are converted! I know the owner pretty well and they didn't realize I did shirts until I surprised them. 

how many colors do you do in HTV? can you post a sample? and congrats on the big order..

For bright red get a printer to lay a white under base the bright red on top. I've run into some prints that were bought by a local school that didn't last 3 washes. I don't know what the printer did yo cause it except for maybe under curing the plastisol but he lost them and they're my customers now.

• Like 2

I thought I knew how to weed, too.  Then I came across a video that helped even more.  As the guys said warm up the vinyl by hovering the heat press over top of it for just a few seconds.  Also, try weeding the enclosed letters ''before'' you remove anything else.  That way you don't have to deal with the carrier sheet sticking to you.  Give it a chance and try it a few times.  And when you do pull the bulk part of the weeding, pull from the bottom right corner to the top left corner as most letters are opened up to that direction and will weed easier.  Good luck.

• Like 1

Congrats on the order!  I have missed being in the forum, but I have just been so busy lately.  Orders like this usually make me want to rethink my pricing structure because it's always more work than I imagined.  But they do make it all worth while in the end.

Just an update. I pretty much have this order completed. Turned out great and was able to upgrade my press to the Hotrinix Fusion all paid for by the job. Just got the Fusion yesterday and pressed the last 40 shirts with it. (I had saved them once I decided to get the new press). Nice press btw but I'm going to have to rethink my work space because it's a big dude and a little taller platen so a new bench is in order. 

This was a mixed order with some 2 color front and back some 1 color front and back and a few 3 color back 2 color front designs. I know the screen print people can bust these out faster and easier but the client loves HTV for feel, toughness and vibrant colors (Bright red and neon yellow which they have not been able to get from screen prints) so I don't want to turn around and start out sourcing their work after the effort it has taken to get them sold on what I do in-house. So yeah I spend a lot of time cutting and weeding but I have a host of kids I enlist as slave labor. They love to weed and we get huge stacks cut and separated and sit around the TV weeding and watching a show. I stack my weeded designs and then press in groups of 30 to 60 a night. I did 120 or so one Saturday but with two shots front and back (plus a pre-fold to establish a good crease for alignment) that's plenty for one day. I pushed hard for the heavy sweatshirts that they are handing out this time of year and the rest of the order is for next spring so there has not been a huge rush so I just fill in my downtime with it. 

One interesting thing from doing a few large complicated orders like this is that when I get a simple one color crest print job it's amazing how quick it seems to go! Like the Olympic runners who train in sand so they fly when they run on a track. 

• Like 4