98crewcab

Howdy All!!!! painting over vinyl question....

Part of our logo/design involves two different orange colors. But for ease of layout (and not having to purchase another $60 roll just for the couple small spots) I was considering "spray painting" over the section to darken the orange hue....is there a spray paint that I should stay away from? do they react to the enamels negatively?

I am going to to some testing today, but as far as long term....would it be a bad idea?

thank you tons in advance:)

Matt

some people used to play with krylon fusion to make a fading pattern on vinyl but not sure on longevity - it kind of defeats the purpose of the color going all the way thru for durability (of using solid color cut vinyl)

• Like 1

that makes sense, works on plastic, pvc, why not vinyl.....and only needing enough of a change to offset the two parts. So maybe the slight overspray just to darken it up a bit..... thank you for your input. I think my biggest concern would be the paint curling up vinyl, or causing another reaction to the vinyl, and that would probably happen right away, not so much once its been applied to the vehicle....lol

we actually do this quite often, we have a company in town that wanted a silver metallic with a blue fade on their trucks and for a long time we used krylon spray paint on Oracal Silver 951 to achieve the look.

They still look good 7 years later.

• Like 1

When painting the vinyl, is it done prior to application and are there any worries of some paint lifting from application tape removal?

I've painted vinyl using automotive paint. I painted it and then cut it with the plotter and it worked great...just needs to cure for a few hours before you start cutting. 

• Like 1

I have used Patra paints on oracal 751, 651 placed on lexan- i beleive they are laquers. no problems after years of use.

• Like 1