angcav

SignBusiness

Hi all, My husband and I would like to start doing simple signs, banners, etc. We recently got the VE Lxi program but still are looking for the right vinylplotter. I would love to know how you started out and what kind of equipment you use. Any input you can give me I would really appreciate. Thank you so much!

• Like 1

Most plotters come with some type of software the one you mentioned cost $800 without a plotter you may want to return it if possible and find an entry level plotter w/software most can be picked up for under $500 and go from there. 

• Like 1

I use the SC model sold buy uscutter for $299.99 for the 25 inch machine which comes with sure cuts alot. but i use a program called signblazer which is free.. Now if you can afford it go with a graphtec..

• Like 2

I'm a newbie too but best advise...Don't cheap out.  Buy a good plotter and use quality vinyl.  I got a Roland GX-24 plotter (used) and Oracal Vinyl (631 & 651).  Best advise is to read this forum.  I'm here daily to get advise and pick up tips on how to be better.  These guys are great and willing to help.

• Like 1

I started out with the thought that it was probably going to be another one of my expensive hobbies so I went with a value cutter to reduce the start-up costs and figured if I was just throwing my money away at least it wasn't so much of it. A few years later and I now have one of the most costly on the market and regularly pull in enough money each month to help feed my starving horde. I still just do it as a side business and probably will until I officially retire from my day job but there is definitely money to be made if you figure out your local market. That being said depending on your investment wad and how serious you are about the business. Buy the best cutter you can afford IMO.  

• Like 1

I took this advise from goose and other members when I was making my initial purchases and I'm glad I did because unlike all of my other hobbies (boating, shooting, RC's, drinking, etc) this one puts money IN the bank. Moving forward I can only see it growing as I learn. Had I purchased a value cutter I would eventually want to either unload it at a big loss or keep it as a backup and buy a Graphtec or similar.

That being said many survive for years on a value cutter. Only you know how far your budget will spread.

• Like 3