Sign in to follow this  
busterbay

eBay Returns - What do you do ?

The other day I had a customer order one of our larger decals ( $75 ) in a non standard color. I thought it was odd but I have no idea of the install so I don't question. 

Upon arrival they contact me and said this is not what I want so I want to return it. ( We have a no return policy) I asked them what was wrong and they said nothing I need this to be solid. The ad states the decals are cut vinyl and do not contain a background the color choice is the color of the decal and the background is whatever you apply it to. 

I explained the details are in the ad and they agreed they didn't read and went by the picture. However I am unsure how you show no background unless you use white or black which I do and state it in the ad a few times there is no background.

Then no contact so I figured problem solved. However it arrived back to me in the mail today, so I am offering them a refund less a restocking fee of 25% and once it sells I am offering to refund that also.

They said that's not good enough they shouldn't have to wait for their money. Am I off track? I thought I was being more than fair since we don't offer returns. 

What would you do ?

You should have told them again,  NO RETURNS,,,  all sales are final, no refunds, no exchanges, all items are custom made at time of order........They should have sold it themselves...   I make no exceptions...  There is no such thing as buyers remorse on EBAY...  They got exactly what they ordered...   Contact EBAY...

• Like 3

You should have told them again,  NO RETURNS,,,  all sales are final, no refunds, no exchanges, all items are custom made at time of order........They should have sold it themselves...   I make no exceptions...  There is no such thing as buyers remorse on EBAY...  They got exactly what they ordered...   Contact EBAY...

That's what I read in the new policy - they can only get a refund if it's not as described.

I told them they can contact eBay but at that point I must abide by their decision. So I am assuming my offering would be their best bet because they already said via eBay communications there was nothing wrong with it.

First thing I would do is REPORT the Buyer and copy and paste  their messages in the report, that they did not read the description. according to their messages.  That you get paid for your time, and skill and labor is the biggest share of this item being sold.  Then there is a record for EBAY to read.   That they claimed there is nothing wrong  with it...

I think restocking fees can only be applied if disclosed in the listing upfront.  They might view it as a violation if you try to claim it.

I think restocking fees can only be applied if disclosed in the listing upfront.  They might view it as a violation if you try to claim it.

Well it is disclosed UP FRONT on his ads.  NO RETURNS!!!!!    Mine say the same thing... and when they clicked commit to buy, they accepted those terms. That is a binding contract....  I have it written 3 times on my ads....Plus what EBAY posts on the ad when I refused the RETURN policy...

Also if you read the new rules of Paypal..6 month policy on returns.   Custom made products are exempt from the return policy....  I have  the words custom on my ads

Well it is disclosed UP FRONT on his ads.  NO RETURNS!!!!!    Mine say the same thing... and when they clicked commit to buy, they accepted those terms.

Yes, I was just trying to be nice.

Exactly, you can't have one without the other.    Ebay is funny like that, did you know that if you win a case but they pay the buyer They tell the buyer that you didn't have enough money in your account to cover it. A straight up lie in most cases and it makes you look bad without ever knowing it..

Exactly, you can't have one without the other.    Ebay is funny like that, did you know that if you win a case but they pay the buyer They tell the buyer that you didn't have enough money in your account to cover it. A straight up lie in most cases and it makes you look bad without ever knowing it..

Didn't know that, my wife also sells online ( a different product line ) several months ago she had a return and eBay told us and I will paraphrase "Not to worry You don't have to do anything but they refunded the buyer and it won't count against you" 

I don't use Ebay much anymore, but on other sites I offer a 30 day return policy on new/unused decals. I get maybe 6 returns a year is all. The customer is out the original shipping and the return shipping. Most of the time I can sell the decal again not too long after it's returned. A few go in the trash bin here and there. It's just the cost of doing business.

I have only had 1 case on quality,  the guy screwed up a $100 set of decals..  He claimed the vinyl should be "thick"...LOL  Really he did....He had no clue about vinyl... He thinks better vinyl is thicker, the thicker the better...Ebay refunded him...And Paypal refunded me.  PayPal claimed he did not follow Ebay rules....  He left me a neg, and it even violated Ebay rules,  So I got it removed....

That is what they tell you while telling the buyer they won. Shady.

If your policy is no returns, stand by it. They agreed to the terms by purchasing the item, they should deal with the loss.

• Like 1

I got a refund on a cutter and ebay never even mentioned the seller let alone their funds.

I got a refund on a cutter and ebay never even mentioned the seller let alone their funds.

It's in the refund email from Paypal. I only found out about it by requesting it be looked into by PP.

There is no such thing as buyers remorse on EBAY...  

Oh, that's not true... I've had buyer's remorse for lots of things I've bought on ebay...

• Like 1

Oh, that's not true... I've had buyer's remorse for lots of things I've bought on ebay...

According to EBAY you cannot change your mind, just because you don't want it, or find a cheaper price,  if there is nothing wrong with it.. and it is described accurately.  "Buyers remorse" is not covered for returns.

As long as the item is not faulty and is described accurately.  It is a buyer requirement to read the entire ad, and if they don't agree with the terms of the ad, they don't have to purchase the item.. If the buyer is confused with the ad, it is their choice to ask the seller questions. If they don't like the answers, they do not have to purchase the item.

If your accepting returns, then you are just about accepting them for any reason..but many state specific reasons for returns, like never used, and in a certain amount of time. say 14 days...plus buyer must pay return shipping.

I don't accept returns, or exchanges, and have this listed 3 times on my ads.  If the buyer feels there is a problem with the decal, all I request is photos of the problem. Amazing how no one has a camera...

I also offer color vinyl samples on request, so they can actually see the vinyl before making a purchase.

• Like 1

EBAY rules

Not covered

• Like 1

Sorry, I was referring to the fact that I regretted some of my purchases, not that I wanted to try and get my money back because I had remorse.

I recently purchased a WiFi enabled SD card for my digital camera that will automatically upload pictures as I take them (assuming WiFi is available).

After I made the purchase there were several "You might also be interested items" along the bottom of the screen, and somehow I got it in my head that those items were from the same vendor I just bought from and I pounced on what looked like a good deal.  Then after I had paid I noticed that the money was going to someone else and when I went back and actually looked, I saw that the vendor I had just purchased from has a grand total of 3 positive feedback, and even though their description says they and the item are in the United States, its actually shipping from China and won't be here for nearly 30 days...  

It's only $30, so if I end up totally screwed, then it's a fairly small price to pay for my own mistakes.  I do plan to report the seller for mis-reporting their location, as I intentionally filter out sellers outside the USA when I do searches, as I don't want to wait 30 days for an item...

• Like 1

Every buyer may regret a purchase. but not a valid reason to return on Ebay.. ..

Busterbay's  customer in my opinion,  has no valid reason to return this item....and Busterbay should not be required to refund the buyer...  His ads clearly state NO RETURNS....

I had a customer return an item a long time ago,  and I put it right back in the mail to them..I didn't even open it..I wrote refused on it... :rolleyes:

Never heard another word...

• Like 1

I had a guy order 2 banners. Once he got them..his landlord wouldn't let him hang them. Nothing wrong with them...but he wanted a full refund and to return them. Guess who ebay sided with?

• Like 1

actually shipping from China and won't be here for nearly 30 days...  

It's only $30, so if I end up totally screwed, then it's a fairly small price to pay for my own mistakes.  I do plan to report the seller for mis-reporting their location, as I intentionally filter out sellers outside the USA when I do searches, as I don't want to wait 30 days for an item...

Yeah I have been bit by that also.

A lot of these sellers actually own / rent warehouses on both coasts and middle America... I still don't know how they can sell something almost at the cost of shipping. 

Yeah I have been bit by that also.

A lot of these sellers actually own / rent warehouses on both coasts and middle America... I still don't know how they can sell something almost at the cost of shipping. 

Me neither, but I've ordered a lot of dirt cheap items from Hong Kong, like 3' HDMI cables for $0.99 with free S&H - I have no idea how they can afford to put a cable in a padded envelope, put postage on it, pay ebay fees, PayPal fees, etc. and still make any sort of profit.