CajunCustom

A Little help with a logo

"(Bitmap? you know this is 2014right?) "  Says the guy using Adobe CS3 JK. ;D

Donn

Touche, however, CS3 lacks little compared to the newest Adobe suite.

Add to the equation my skills to fully utilize it and I'll go head to head with it in my quiver, any day.

Ok tried another one , this one was a vector tiger i took it and added text , for some reason it seemed hard to just turn it into a eps file , a svg was no problem but eps was a pain then when i loaded it into CD it was upside down , i used Inkscape for it , it looks good i think

lsu1.svg

lsu1.eps

All that's in those files is pixel based. There are no vectors in the file. (or text)

Here are some basic instruction for vectoring in Inkscape;

Open Inkscape, top menu FILE>IMPORT

click your image file... .jpg, .png, .bmp, etc.

the image should appear with arrows at the corners, if not click on it once

on the top menu PATH>TRACE BITMAP

default 'brightness cutoff' radio button should already be clicked

(this option is for 2 color black and white images... more on the other choice as you progress)

If you click the update bar you will see your image, then click OK. Close this box.

grab your top image (it should say 'path' at the bottom of screen) and move it out of the way,

there should be another image below it. when you grab this one, it should say 'image' on the bottom bar.

Delete the one that says 'IMAGE'. (the bottom one)

move the other image (path) back into the bounding box.

top menu FILE>DOCUMENT PROPERTIES when this box opens up, click the 'Fit Page To Selection' Bar.

Close that box.

top menu FILE>SAVE AS

name your file and most folks round here save in the .eps (Encapsulated Postscript) format.

I prefer svg as it works with all my other software as well as being able to import back into Inkscape.

It's the drop down box below where the file name goes

Click SAVE.

• Like 3

thanks skarekrow thats what im missing i didnt trace it odd enough thought the orginal file was a vector file , i guess me adding text changed it , im going to try what you said right now

ok this was so easy if i did it right , the only place i had a problem under Document Properties i didnt see fit to page , if this is right i guess my question would be did i do it right by importing into inkscape and adding text , thats where i would want to do my text editing ?

lsu1-1.eps

That one is working. Mine opened up with a clipping mask around the outside that may or may not be in your original. Sometimes those come through when sending. If you get a box cut around yours that's what it is. 

Is the tiger image a vector and/or is the pixel image it was created from still in front of or behind it (since vectoring) ?

That boundary on the bottom of the page is a indication of a pixel based image  still in the frame (after resizing the boundary)

... or a stray node.

post-43059-0-94605400-1412030900_thumb.j

what i did was import the tiger image drag it onto the white box , then i made the text and draged that box into the white box and saved that was before you told me how to do the trace

Vector is an entirely different animal than pixel based images. Few of the same rules apply to both.

'Welding' or 'Union' would be more akin to 'Flatten'. But right, there is no flatten with vector.

The text is vector. You may want to convert it to paths or curves before saving though. Some programs do this automatically.

The reason is some software (SignCut, for instance) doesn't like the strokes that live text contains.

how would i see exactly what like surecut would see other then doing a test cut with a pen , and thanks for putting up with me btw

In Illustrator you need to convert the text to outlines. Select>>Right Click>>Create Outlines. What's the Inkscape equivalent?