CajunCustom

A Little help with a logo

Hello all new to the board , i recently purchased a Titan 2 28" Cutter and while waiting for it to ship have been tryin to make a logo , its ok but i cant seem to get it to eps format it like breaks all apart , im sure its something i did lol , ive seen something what im doing but not this way , anyone here able to lend a hand and tell me why it isnt cleaning up im using corel draw 7

post-88381-0-30942800-1411955822_thumb.j

If you post the file you saved it in then we can take a look at it. But in corel, all you should need to do is group it then save as eps.

Donn

i imported it into corel , i edited it in paint , i tried to change it to vector in corel but when i use the Trace tool it looses all of its quality

Im not sure about corel- after vectorizing are you looking at the two layers including the original? Try deleting the original?

That says its an eps file but its not vectorized. Did you design it in corel or pick a jpeg file and simply save it as an eps.  you need to vectorize it before it will really be a true eps file.

Donn

thats i guess what problem i am having it is a jpg when i try to vector it in corel it breaks apart when you have the 2 panes that show what it will look like after it is vectored

Ya, I like to use inkscape to vectorize, I have corel x6 but am more familiar with inkscape. Its free if you want to download it and give it a try, just make sure you save your pics as bitmap and then vectorize.

can you tell me what i did wrong ? , im sure ive got alot to learn but cant learn if i dont ask lol , and thanks for fixing it

When you down load a bitmap pic to vectorize, it has to have some detail or it wont vectorize well, you know,crap in-crap out. Then text never vectorizes well at all so plan on replacing the text. The image you posted was so bad ( small with no resolution) I replaced everything but the dog.

Donn

• Like 1

Personally about the only thing I would auto trace in that logo is the dog. Even that might not turn out very well. I would re-create the shield and the text. The shield can easily be hand traced over the top of your image or probably find a free vector out there that is the right shape or close enough. Text is simple and it will never trace good so you are way better off to figure out the font and re-type it. 

Sorry, I forgot to say Hi and welcome! Nothing wrong with being a newbie and asking questions. I am much more likely to help out when someone wants to actually learn how to do it themselves than just get someone to do it for them so you get an "Atta Boy" for that right off the bat. 

• Like 1

Got ya , so if i want to edit a image jpg is a bad start ? i should use bmp , should i add text when it is vector format or bmp format ? and thanks for the welcome , i see tons of free vectors on here and other places just didnt want someone freaking out saying thats mine you stole that so i figured id work at making my own

Like everyone said, most of that image is reproducible from scratch in a vector program and there is no need to convert to another file format. There's most probably also a dog similar to that already vectorized somewhere.

A method I use when I need to vectorize something is to first reduce the colors to the point where the image is still discernible but as fewest colors as possible. Your image is already black and white so I guess that wouldn't have helped.

Edit after you have vectored it, then break it apart and use what you can and replace the rest, but I use the original vectored image no matter how bad it is to help place all of the things that will be replaced in the correct position. And yes, use bitmap in inkscape.

Donn

• Like 1

You're better off with the png file format in Inkscape for raster images.

Smaller file sizes and they support transparencies, for starters.

(Bitmap? You know this is 2014 right?)

It takes a little while to get your head wrapped around the raster vs vector idea. Basically no part of a raster image such as JPG, BMP, PNG is of any use to you with your cutter. You may be using one to build a vector from as in possibly auto trace or just draw and write over the top and use it as a template to build what you want in vector formats such as AI, SVG, EPS and some PDF's. Depending on what cutting utility you are using you will make the choice as to what vector format you want to save to. If you are using SCALP I think it's SVG but don't quote me on that. 

I often load a jpg image and place it on my workspace and then build right over the top so I get all the text sized correctly and eventually toss the original picture away. 

Cool alot of great information , i know its not something you can learn over night but you guys helped alot with the answers , does a vector lose pixels if the size is changed like you take a 3 inch picture and blow it up to like 10 inchs

No pixels to lose. It's all lines and curves so it's basically a mathematical equation to up or downsize.

I almost don't want to throw this out there but it is possible to use raster images in a vector format. As in sticking a picture in and saving it with the raster image in the file but your cutter won't see it. You can also make a mess by adding stroke to your lines and expecting the cutter to cut them based on the look of the stoked lines. Once you get your head into it it will all make sense.  Look again for the option to view just lines and curves with no stoke effects or fill colors. This is all your cutter will see and be able to cut.