Sign in to follow this  
Doeboy

what's yours look like? any homemade vinyl holder ideas out there?

I really want to store the vinyl on the wall rather than on the floor, working on a budget looking for the best space saving ideas for vinyl storage... so.. whats yours look like?

here is mine--The "Home Depot Special" shelving Parts. Vertical pieces screwed to studs. these are 24 inch rolls and you can get different lenth brackets. I can also adjust the height of each protruding bracket.

VinylRack.jpg

• Like 1

one of the more clever cheap ones I have seen is people finding the old "belt" racks from old gas stations - tough and when you find them cheap

I have just started putting mine in the shelf.  horizontal..... I noticed the box it comes in has a unique end on them that keeps them suspended in the box.......works great!

• Like 2

Dakota

This would be good for the ones you dont really use in the middle section. I like this because you can put 20 and 50 yrd for weight. Havent seen the "gas station" versions

Xpaperman

Good idea. But im never lucky enough to get the single boxes :(.. but when I do ill have to check out the ends!

The flaps make a tab inside when closed. The center of the roll sitz on that tab thereby suspending the roll in the box

I know it is not homemade, but I use the GraphixRack at work, so far I am happy with it. Saves a lot of space.

post-86481-0-53717700-1411681680_thumb.j

• Like 1

I know it is not homemade, but I use the GraphixRack at work, so far I am happy with it. Saves a lot of space.

attachicon.gif2014-09-25 17.44.12.jpg

doesn't look like 50 yarders would fit on it?   

watch your local cl - I got 2 of these now too for reasonable price

Orca%2044%20Standing%20Vinyl%20Rack%201%

• Like 1

doesn't look like 50 yarders would fit on it?   

watch your local cl - I got 2 of these now too for reasonable price

They just came out with a 50 yard model. Mine are all for 10 yard rolls. Their service is pretty good as well. They sent me the wrong size by mistake and just had me keep it. Worked out well, as it was a 15 yard rack that I will use for HTV.

I am always on Craigslist. If I were to see one of those I would jump on it. I need something for vinyl at the house now, so I am looking.

I built this out of wood - going to have to make a new one that is double sided to hold more rolls.  The next one will be on casters so I can move it out

of the closest,

Doesnt storing the rolls on tubes like that start to warp the roll? Thats what has kept me using the boxes. Was worried the roll would go oval and not roll right on the rollers.

Doesnt storing the rolls on tubes like that start to warp the roll? Thats what has kept me using the boxes. Was worried the roll would go oval and not roll right on the rollers.

never had one yet - it it ever did I don't think it would be a problem as I never let the plotter pull the vinyl off the roll anyways

Might have to make something then cause the boxes start to take up considerable space. Also always seem to need the one on bottom! I am guilty of always letting cutter pull off roll. Ive never had an issue with it though. Have a hard time accepting the waste if I cut it off first lol.

Might have to make something then cause the boxes start to take up considerable space. Also always seem to need the one on bottom! I am guilty of always letting cutter pull off roll. Ive never had an issue with it though. Have a hard time accepting the waste if I cut it off first lol.

you don't cut it off - you just pull slack first so the cutter is pulling the slack and not pulling on the heavy roll

• Like 3

I've got metal wall racks very similar to Dakota's floor standing racks. I've never had any issues with them.

Like Dakota said, roll some vinyl off of the roll on the backside of the cutter, so it isn't jerking vinyl off of the roll when it moves forward. Some cutters have weird roll holder placement, so it may not be as easy as on the Graphtec.

My friend uses a peg board mounted on a 1 inch frame under it. And uses the long pegs. Its mounted on the wall and he doesn't have to move anything when picking a roll. I just left mine in their boxes and got them stacked and replace in the boxes when done.