jonvince

How do I build my own tape applicator?

Go-C I think you have the best design so far. That being said I will now copy your design. Where about would you find those pipe hangers? The ones holding the Pvc... If you found them at home Depot or Lowes, what section of the store are they?

Go-C I think you have the best design so far. That being said I will now copy your design. Where about would you find those pipe hangers? The ones holding the Pvc... If you found them at home Depot or Lowes, what section of the store are they?

I will let you copy my design on 1 condition.  

You have to post pictures of it when you're done.   

She's not pretty, but she's functional. After some help finding some core plugs, I built this using some scraps I had lying around. 

msg-9070-0-75728600-1412008626_thumb.jpg
msg-9070-0-78035700-1412008621_thumb.jpg
  • Like 2

-jonvince, if I remember correctly it's better to have the tape closer to the table. Nice functional design but you might want to drop it about three inches.

Higher like that gives less chance of static lifting the vinyl to the tape prematurely. I've used both ways and both have some benefits

• Like 1

Last year I broke down and bought the double shaft 24" Weber Made. My tape sits about 4" higher than the table and 22" back from where I lay the left end of the vinyl. Measurements are to the center of the roll. I also have the tape aligned to one edge of the table so that I can simply align the vinyl to the edge and apply away. The BIG SQUEEGEE is most excellent at applying app tape.

Last year I broke down and bought the double shaft 24" Weber Made. My tape sits about 4" higher than the table and 22" back from where I lay the left end of the vinyl. Measurements are to the center of the roll. I also have the tape aligned to one edge of the table so that I can simply align the vinyl to the edge and apply away. The BIG SQUEEGEE is most excellent at applying app tape.

You lost me at "I bought an double shaft"

You lost me at "I bought an double shaft"

As in that's where you started laughing and couldn't stop :lol:

I don't remember who suggested it but I've been doing the upside down method for large graphics.    

It has saved me SO MANY headaches.   

Apparently I suck at applying app tape because my vinyl graphic is always wavy.   

I don't remember who suggested it but I've been doing the upside down method for large graphics.    

It has saved me SO MANY headaches.   

Apparently I suck at applying app tape because my vinyl graphic is always wavy.   

I tape some small stuff with the app tape sticky side up.

I think your having trouble the regular way because your app tape rolls don't have core plugs and flop around when they are pulled, plus they are allowed to shift from side to side, which won't keep your tape inline with the vinyl and will cause massive wrinkle issues.

Some core plugs, washers, and set collars or hose clamps and you'll be in business.

I am sure that there are many, many members of these Forums who can send you those caps !!!! They're standard in a lot of different brands of vinyl rolls.

Personally, I have had great success with this product --

It shouldn't be too hard to reproduce the design:

Vinyl-Application-Transfer-Tape-Tape-Too

(I clamp it to the table with regular ratchet-clamps)

Irwin%20Quick%20Grip%20Clamps.jpg

my exact set up. couldnt imagine life without it . although I eventually screwed it to the table

my exact set up. couldnt imagine life without it . although I eventually screwed it to the table

This is the same set-up I use. Never failed me yet.

The Big Squeegee holds or pushes the app tape, correct? So which method do you use more often, pushing the tape with the big squeegee or the Weber made? And what determines which method you use?

The WeberMade holds the roll of app tape at the end of the table, much like the other designs shown in this topic.

post-6882-0-40329600-1412096049_thumb.jp

The 26" BIG SQUEEGEE allows me to apply the tape in one single motion.

post-6882-0-67000400-1412096053_thumb.jp

I've seen that and some of the other hand roll app tape holders. I'm not sure how well those things would work.

I use my big squeegee exactly like pshawny and it works great. I do tape the leading edge of the vinyl to my cutting mat and pull the app tape 4-5 inches past that to maintain space between the tape and vinyl.

That's how I do it too, minus taping the edge. I have done that on occasion though. If the ends won't sit flat then I place a metal yard stick across the vinyl on the end closest to the app tape roll, then slowly move it out of the way as I apply the app tape.

Not homemade, but I use the rotator at work. A little pricey, but very convenient:

Not homemade, but I use the rotator at work. A little pricey, but very convenient:

Wouldn't take much for a handy person to make one with some plywood and dowels.