jonvince

How do I build my own tape applicator?

Hi,

I'm trying to build my own tape applicator that I can clamp onto the end of a table. I have a few ideas on how to build one, but what I really need to track down are the plastic end caps that I can stick in the ends of the tape roll for a dowel to slide through. Does anyone know where I can find these? Or have any other suggestions on how to build one? I like the idea of a table mounted one, and don't want to spend the money on one from uscutter. Thanks!

I am sure that there are many, many members of these Forums who can send you those caps !!!! They're standard in a lot of different brands of vinyl rolls.

Personally, I have had great success with this product --

It shouldn't be too hard to reproduce the design:

Vinyl-Application-Transfer-Tape-Tape-Too

(I clamp it to the table with regular ratchet-clamps)

Irwin%20Quick%20Grip%20Clamps.jpg

• Like 2

I've used the TapeMate unit, and it's a good solution, except that you need to have empty cardboard rolls that are WIDER than the app tape.

Also, the two end pieces themselves that compose the unit are just around $30 by themselves -- although this auction includes App Tape for the listed $140. price.

If you can grab the USCutter app tape unit (as I have pictured above) at a low cost, then go for it.

(although shipping could be a factor, since it's going to be in a rather large box)

The USCutter one works good. I wish they would have put some adjustable stoppers on the rollers to keep the roll of tape securely in place. Something like the Graphtec cutter has on the vinyl roll holder.

The USCutter one works good. I wish they would have put some adjustable stoppers on the rollers to keep the roll of tape securely in place. Something like the Graphtec cutter has on the vinyl roll holder.

AhHA!  Those would be terrific widgets to produce with a 3D printer!!! 

8125-2_R_1698ea0e.jpg

• Like 1

I have that ordway tapemate. It's all I know so nothing to compare it to. I used poster shipping tubes from office max and cut to 26". They are thin wall (maybe .060) which is fine but the rear tube fits so tight that it split the tube ends when I installed it. The front one fits loose and rolls nice but the back stays put. I guess it's designed that way to keep the tape roll from moving until you want it to??

I'd like to find some thicker wall paper core tubes and see if it improves at all. Otherwise I'll look for another unit altogether.

I've always thought an app tape roller could be made out of the end caps from a 50yd roll or Oracal, some wood, a few screws, and cardboard tubes. It would be very similar to the Ordway one, but on the cheap.

I've always thought an app tape roller could be made out of the end caps from a 50yd roll or Oracal, some wood, a few screws, and cardboard tubes. It would be very similar to the Ordway one, but on the cheap.

The trick to the TapeMate unit is that the rear roll doesn't turn and front one does.

I agree, however, that you could construct such a device easily with some wood and the endcaps of vinyl tubes (just shave the 'ribs' off of one, so it fits loose and allows the roll to spin)

I made one, but don't know if you have the stuff readily available to you to build one like it.

post-80805-0-68653200-1411584017_thumb.j

I have an Ordway floating around somewhere and I used the cores that oracal comes on.

I made one, but don't know if you have the stuff readily available to you to build one like it.

Thanks for all the responses. I'm still looking for a solution like the one Tyler posted. Can you tell me where you got the plastic cores that are in the end of the tape? Any roll of Oracal or transfer tape I've bought doesn't come with them. 

I get them in application tape rolls sometimes and I think my rolls of magnets have them too,

I never would have guessed they are worth $0.25 a piece plus shipping. Most everyone on this forum probably has some laying around. I have tons of them. jonvince, pm me your address and I'll send you a few. Then, the rest are going on Ebay $$$ ;D $$$

Louis & Clarke, Do you think your design would work without the pillow blocks? Could it instead have a metal dowel on each end that a hole drilled into the pipe could set on?

Louis & Clarke, Do you think your design would work without the pillow blocks? Could it instead have a metal dowel on each end that a hole drilled into the pipe could set on?

I'm sure it would. It was cheap to build this way. Heck I don't even own one...

Here is what I came up with on the cheap. It can be screwed, bolted, or clamped to a table. It's made to fit up to a 24" roll. Shown here with a 12" roll.

3/4" x 5' conduit pipe = $2.73 (I cut this in half, so basically $1.37)

(2) Metal washers = $1.58

(2) Hose Clamps = $2.58 (Locking collars would be ideal, but I couldn't find the right size locally)

(2) Metal Dowels $1.10 (I would get longer dowels next time so that it goes all the way through the pipe)

Wood = $? - I already had some scrap 2x4's

Total cost = $6.63

This obviously isn't the best concept or design, but it may be one of the cheapest, and it works.

post-6882-0-36003900-1411838249_thumb.jp

post-6882-0-10000700-1411838224_thumb.jp

post-6882-0-91597800-1411838229_thumb.jp

post-6882-0-23468900-1411838234_thumb.jp

post-6882-0-56060200-1411838240_thumb.jp

post-6882-0-72506800-1411838244_thumb.jp

• Like 1

That's a good design Go-C. Do the pipe hangers hold the PVC pretty tight? Could maybe use some core plugs and a way to keep the rolls from shifting sideways.

That's a good design Go-C. Do the pipe hangers hold the PVC pretty tight? Could maybe use some core plugs and a way to keep the rolls from shifting sideways.

If you look closely I've sanded down the hangers so I can snap the pipe in and out.  It doesn't really hold it tight but I've never had a problem with the pipe sliding in the hangers.  With the weight of the vinyl they stay put. 

Personally I don' want to lock the rolls into any set position.  I like to have them free so that they are easy to slide to the edge of the table when I need that specific roll.   

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Monkey" data-cid="372768" data-time="1411917335"><p>

I have this one mounted to my table. Well worth the money<br />

<br />

<a

href='http://www.uscutter.com/APPRoller-Tape-Application-Roller'>http://www.uscutter.com/APPRoller-Tape-Application-Roller</a></p></blockquote>

Same here