gcextreme

Copyright rant...

So the wife and i are trying for a baby...thats all fun.

We decided to take some baby announcement photos to have ready for when we announce we are expecting.

I got an idea from a coworkers baby announcement pic, he had a photo taken of his Harley Davidson with a little toddlers motorcycle trike toy thing.

I decided to do it with atvs.

The wife and i borrowed a friends small powerwheels yamaha raptor toy and we pulled out our wheelers, mine which is an actual yamaha raptor 660r, and the wifes little honda 250ex. I took some amazing shots with it using our expensive Canon DSLR. We must have took over 60 pics with many different poses.

Now many of the pics the wife and i are both in the photo, i used a remote for the camera.

Anyway i put the photos onto the laptop and did some editing and cropping, and even made some pics black n white.

Then we put the photos on our usb jump drive and headed to walmart to have some developed.

After an hour we go to get them and the stupid lady at the photo center wont give us the pics, she says they are copyrighted and are professionally done and they cant copy and sell them without permission.

I told her i took the pics, she went on to say she didnt believe me and thats not possible as i am in them...wtf?? I explained to her that this is the year 2014 and cameras come with remotes!

I continued to argue with her and made her get her manager. Once he came i explained everything once again. He said i needed to have a liability release form from the professional photographer who took them...once again i tried telling him that i took the dam photos!

I told him to give me a liability form and i will sign it. He said they dont have the forms and i would have to make my own.

Well i leave all pissed. Only to go home to google this liability release form and i find one right on the walmart website and it also says forms are available at the photo center!! Again wtf!??

I understand copyright law and it doesnt just apply to "professional pictures" but it applies to every picture anyone takes, a pro or not.

So if i take a pic of my nephew on his bike and my sister, his mother, takes that to walmart to have made, that right there is still technically copyright infringement.

But what are the chances they dont print that??

What really pisses me off, it seems all this is in the hands of the person at the booth and what they "believe" is professionally done or not..

Because we have had them print off tons of wedding photos that were taken by me and family and our friend the "professional" photographer...and the walmart counter person never said anything about those.

another way to look at it - your photos looked very professional! . . .. I would have been pissed to but there is a compliment in there hidden behind their irritation 

• Like 3

you could have made a blue shirt with white walmart logo on it when you went back - you bought it from someone in an ally 

first child was easy = next one was a 2 year workout - neighbors got the message we made it when they saw the flaming boxers burning in the front yard one night.

That happed to my wife at Walgreens- but they just asked if they were taken by a professional and she said nope. ( we have a DSLR canon).

But we got our pics...of course I dont go to Walmart for the great service experience. :)

Try Walgreens dude.

Yep gonna go to walgreens from now on. But im still going back to walmart with this form and shove it in his face.