oldmountaincrafts

Vinyl cutting Software

I've used SignCut Pro for the last 4 years or so and their prices have seemed to creep higher each year I renew.  I use Illustrator to create my artwork and just "send to SignCut".  Is there a plugin or driver to use to just send to the cutter?  Or do I need something like SignCut Pro in order to cut the vinyl?

Yes, you will need cutting software to communicate with your cutter.

SignCut is a good one but has had drawbacks for me as well.

For free, Inkscape and SignBlazer are the only 2 that come to mind.

I have loosely followed the maturing of the Inkscape cutting module, InkCut, over the past couple of years and it still seems to

have issues running under windows. Not so hard to deal with if you are a Linux veteran.

Saving your illustrator files in an exchange format (svg and eps) will yield the most flexibility for the changing software landscape of the future.

The last few months I've been very pleased with the cutting modules in VinylMaster Pro. Very thorough and hiccup free.

Waiting, to see what USCutter is soon to unveil as well. (RazorCut)

There is no "plugin" which allows you to just send to a cutter (not through Illustrator, nor Corel)

However, Inkscape does have a generic HPGL driver ---

http://sourceforge.net/projects/inkcut/

Depends on the cutter you have - I have a plug-in for CorelDraw that lets me cut to my Graphtec without having to export/import into another program.  They make the same plug-in for Illustrator as well, but they only work with Graphtec brand cutters.

As I recall, I'm still using CM v2.6 - because I thought the v3 was to support the CE6000 series, and I'm too lazy to upgrade unless there is something in it for me...  ;D

As I recall, I'm still using CM v2.6 - because I thought the v3 was to support the CE6000 series, and I'm too lazy to upgrade unless there is something in it for me...  ;D

Cutting Master 2 IS your cutting software program..  It is a basic bare bones version of a Flexi product..  Just like Signcut,,, Flexistarter or any other cutting software would be..  You could not cut with out Cutting Master2....

You stated this  I have a plug-in for CorelDraw that lets me cut to my Graphtec without having to export/import into another program     Cutting Master2 IS that program.   Being run on GP-GL  only for a Graphtec.

That is why it is called a "plug in",  it is a bridge to another program.

There are a lot of people who use a program like Inkscape for their design work and then use a separate app for cutting.  They save/export their file and then load/import it into the cutting software and cut.  I started using Xara as my design software and the LXi Express that came with my SignWarehouse cutter and did just that.

With Cutting Master I don't have to perform those intermediary steps - I develop my design, click on the VB button in CorelDraw and select "Cut" and a cutting dialog pops up - if I discover that I have duplicate lines or other issues that didn't show up, I don't have to go back and reload my work - I just hit Esc and I'm back in CorelDraw and can make whatever changes are necessary before selecting "Cut" again.

It's just like the "Print" dialog that comes up when you print from within a Windows application - you get a dialog box that lets you pick your page size, orientation, etc.  Those are often times unique to the specific printer driver software, but people don't think of that as a "separate printing app", you select an option from a menu - approve of what's in the dialog and click "Print" (or in my case "Send") and produce output.

Whether you want to call it a bridge or a plug-in, it makes it appear to be contiguous without the intermediary steps necessary when using two separate software packages.  From my perspective, I work up a design and "just send to the cutter", which is what the OP asked for.   

this is the only way I have seen it done from Corel or Illustrator directly to a cutter...  posted by another member,  Bob H Bigart

Posted 09 May 2011 - 08:36 AM

How to cut direct from Illustrator & COREL

Hi Guys

First of all you must get a NULL MODEM CABLE to go from computer to (plotter) cutter.

Make sure it’s a NULL MODEM CABLE and not just a PRINTER CABLE.

Null Modem serial cables allows two DTE or DCE devices to communicate with no conflict in data transmission

Then convert your line weight to the thinnest (the one with 2 ARROWS).

Set all lines at Wire frame.

Export as a .DXF file.

Send your .DXF file to your Printer.

Set your printer preference to your plotter cutter at PRINT.

REMEMBER YOU MUST CUT FROM A .DXF file.

This works for me and I hope it works for you.

Thank You,
Bob Bigart

Guys on here told me about Vinyl Master Pro , i tried the demo for about 2 hrs and bought the program , i didnt even have my cutter in yet , the program is awesome very easy to use and well worth the money sends cuts straight to the cutter , i installed Sure Cuts Alot Pro but dont use it at all , i have Corel and Adobe and Inkscape also installed , right now ive just been useing Vinyl Master with Adobe for Mock Ups.

• Like 1