Sign in to follow this  
slice&dice

Mobile Sign Shop

Hello again, boys and girls, ladies and gentlemen, madams and monsieurs ----

I promised to provide an inside look at the Mobile Sign Shop that I'm putting on the road.

It begins with a 1977 Motorhome (Dodge Georgie Boy Cruise Aire) that has a lot of inside space.

Most RV's have a bed that occupies the rear, but this one was designed instead with a seating area and large table, which is ideal for weeding & taping.

The entranceway leads into a nice salon, perfect for sitting at the small round desk and doing design work on a laptop. There is a nice stereo system and airconditioner (runs off a generator).

The kitchen area accommodates the MH mini cutter.

The exterior is going to get a new paint job, and some custom graphics.

That's my next project.

Comments? Suggestions? Questions?

post-21408-0-52322000-1410886427_thumb.j

post-21408-0-44871900-1410886459_thumb.j

post-21408-0-25040100-1410886482_thumb.j

post-21408-0-92953200-1410886492_thumb.j

post-21408-0-88014700-1410886505_thumb.j

post-21408-0-14838900-1410886529_thumb.j

• Like 1

Man - I can see this wrapped with a theme loosly based on the one from the movie - just to draw attention

rv001159wb5.7954.jpg

A cool idea, like it a lot.

There is a local law that offers a Huckster License ---

"Pursuant to Section 21-11-101 of Title 11, the holder of a Huckster License may offer for sale, hawk, peddle, or vend, any fish, meat, poultry, oysters, goods, wares, or merchandise, or services of any kind, in or on the streets or highways of the County..."

The cost of that permit is $41 annually.

While I would love to wrap the RV, the cost of doing that is too much for my budget.

I'll stick with just roller-painting it all white, and applying my own vinyl designs that I generate from the cutter.

(I actually have a 32" cutter also, and might be able to figure a way to fit it inside the RV)

I've been wondering how this was coming along.

"services of any kind"...... ah so you're a John and this is your cover?:huh:;)

Lose the roller and get yourself a Wagner Sprayer. The paint will lay flatter and so will your vinyl. Plus the sprayers come in handy around the house.

Also you just HAVE to get a loud speaker for that thing!! ......Is it a taco truck? .....Is it an ice cream truck? .....nope it's Slice & Dice Decals rollin through the hood!!! :) :)

I got some decals and you don't got none! Want a see?......SIEK!

Oh man my gut is killin me I'm laughing so hard!!

• Like 1

LED lighting inside, outside. And for work lighting.  And paint it yellow, that draws attention..

Cool idea, if it were mine I'd yank most of the cabinets & build a rack to hold the vinyl & get the large platform printer in place. 

I've been wondering how this was coming along.

1... "services of any kind"...... ah so you're a John (you meant Pimp, I assume!!) and this is your cover?

2... Lose the roller and get yourself a Wagner Sprayer. The paint will lay flatter and so will your vinyl. Plus the sprayers come in handy around the house.

3...Also you just HAVE to get a loud speaker for that thing!! ......Is it a taco truck? .....Is it an ice cream truck? .....nope it's Slice & Dice Decals rollin through the hood!!!

Oh man my gut is killin me I'm laughing so hard!!

1. Wouldn't work --- There is no bed.  :rolleyes:

This RV was actually made with no permanent bedroom or bed.

I liked it for that reason, because it's all open space inside and a bed would have taken up some of that.

(the configuration allows for conversion of the rear dinette into a bed, and the front salon/bench also can unfold into a bed)

2. Excellent idea -- I have a friend who actually has one, so I'll talk to him about borrowing it.

3. This won't be rolling around like an ice-cream truck (or parked like a food truck).

My plan is to solicit jobs for signs and then drive to the site, and do the cutting and installing right there.

I am going to specialize in Reserved Parking and other smaller wayfinder signs and window lettering.

and in response to busterbay  --

I am thinking of dismantling the bathroom, which takes a fair amount of space.

It's not really useful anyway, since I would have to be dealing with hauling around fresh onboard water and the hassle of waste tanks.

I am thinking of dismantling the bathroom, which takes a fair amount of space.

It's not really useful anyway, since I would have to be dealing with hauling around fresh onboard water and the hassle of waste tanks.

Redneck potty--5 Gallon bucket and a wooden seat!!!!!!!!  (Not a putdown, I like your ideas)

• Like 2

LED lighting inside, outside. And for work lighting.  And paint it yellow, that draws attention..

or Orange & Black -- Go Orioles!!!!

orioles_RV.jpg

• Like 1

Redneck potty--5 Gallon bucket and a wooden seat!!!!!!!!  (Not a putdown, I like your ideas)

This whole thing is in the realm of a 'trailer trash' idea !!!

I mean, c'mon, a 1977 beater RV, which cost me $1500. does not exactly scream "High Class"

However, I do hate to remove a toilet from the configuration completely ---  I'm thinking of buying one of these on eBay:

peter1.jpg

I mean, c'mon, a 1977 beater RV, which cost me $1500. does not exactly scream "High Class"

However, I do hate to remove a toilet from the configuration completely ---  I'm thinking of buying one of these on eBay:

peter1.jpg

If you do please leave the door  :lol:  :wacko:  :blink:

If you do please leave the door  :lol:  :wacko:  :blink:

Hmmmmmmm, dismantling the entire restroom enclosure will give me a major amount of extra space.

Then, I would remove the refrigerator and stove, and put a small cube (dorm) refrigerator in place of the stove.

A curtain partition can be added where the fridge is located now, and have that be the 'toilet area'

Actually, I found a clever hunter's urinal on ebay just now, this is it ---

$_35.JPG

I also noticed this option, which allows a regular Home Depot bucket to be used.

11218d1406284827-myo-travel-potty-travel

Hey, I know this entire subject is getting off-track, but when ya gotta go, ya gotta go.

• Like 1

I have a trailer I do the same thing out of.  I can tell ya that you are going to want to gut quite a lot of it becuase it seems like you have room till you actually start using it.  Also make sure you have the electrical all worked out because certain places you go have certain requirements.

Hmmmmmmm, dismantling the entire restroom enclosure will give me a major amount of extra space.

Then, I would remove the refrigerator and stove, and put a small cube (dorm) refrigerator in place of the stove.

A curtain partition can be added where the fridge is located now, and have that be the 'toilet area'

Actually, I found a clever hunter's urinal on ebay just now, this is it ---

[img=http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxMjAw/z/boAAAOSwnDZT9zuG/$_35.JPG]

I also noticed this option, which allows a regular Home Depot bucket to be used.

[img=http://www.budget101.com/attachments/tips-n-tricks/11218d1406284827-myo-travel-potty-travel-potty.jpg]

They actually use a similar setup on a locomotive.... Or at least used to that has been 40 or so years since I worked for the Norfolk Western railroad.

Hey, I know this entire subject is getting off-track, but when ya gotta go, ya gotta go.

peter1.jpg

Link??

I have a trailer I do the same thing out of.  I can tell ya that you are going to want to gut quite a lot of it becuase it seems like you have room till you actually start using it.  Also make sure you have the electrical all worked out because certain places you go have certain requirements.

I want to buy the solar-power 12v battery-charging station at Harbor Freight ($200)

http://www.harborfreight.com/45-watt-solar-panel-kit-68751-8527.html

The motorhome has an onboard gas generator built-in (ONAN) and of course there's the option to plug the electrical system into regular 110v current at any location.

And "gutting" this thing is not really something I have the skill-set for.

There is all sorts of plumbing and wiring and piping (including propane for the refrigerator and oven and heater, and the bathroom has a shower, sink and toilet, all connected Lord-Knows-How to the fresh-water holding tanks and waste tanks).

Do I desire to have more space? Sure.

Do I want to get in over my head? Nah.

Oh, by the way, bannerjohn, I decided to go with the hunter's pee-station with the 2 bottles.

(it's designed for use in a hunter's blind)

The other unit was made for toddlers and seemed kinda dumb, with a pull-out tray.

• Like 1

be careful when removing the fridge- the rv fridges are ammonia based and not freon.  if it still works it is worth reselling.  same with the water heater etc.  the toilet probably only has a water inlet to cap off and the bottom usually drops directly into the black water holding tank that you will want to cap off or remove.  it should also have a gray water tank for the kitchen and shower (mine has one for each) if you have no plans to use any water in it (which I can't imagine since it isn't hard to dump gray water) just remove the pump and start cutting stuff out. on the propane - remove the tanks (unless the genset is propane operated) and then remove everything you want.  but like Jays said the oven could be used for sublimation mugs on site if you get into doing street fairs etc.  you will find most walls both interior and exterior to be pretty flimsy as weight is a bigger concern when building a rv - so for racks you may very well find yourself creating floor standing vinyl racks that a weight distributed well over the 1/2" flooring that is minimally supported.
first step though would be to check the roof and make any sealing repairs needed as the caulk dries over time - once a roof leaks it deteriorated everything inside quickly - most of the stuff as mentioned before is built for weight and doesn't hold up to getting wet - even a little bit.  if rubber roof dicor makes a coating to extend the life, if aluminum then there is a coating for that too.

• Like 1