restless-rooster

Newbie here

Hey everyone!

I am a newbie from the Northern Colorado area.  I am a web and graphic designer when I am not working in the Oil Field.  I just purchased my first cutter, so Im sure you will be seeing me around frequently and I'm sure I will have many questions along the way!

Edit - Might as well add this here...I purchased the MH871 and it came with Sure Cuts A Lot Pro.  I know this is a value cutter, but I wont be printing large numbers at once.  Should work well, right?  I am designing in Photoshop, although I should switch to Illustrator I guess.

Welcome from Idaho. Yeah if you have access to the full suite switch to AI and get used to it and it will probably save some time. Skarekrow on the forum uses a combination of PS and tracing that seems to work well too though so I wouldn't discount your PS skills. Just be sure and toggle the preview/outlines mode a few times in AI to get a good visual on what your cutter see's and watch for unfilled objects because they will cause a double cut inside of each open area. 

Welcome from Idaho. Yeah if you have access to the full suite switch to AI and get used to it and it will probably save some time. Skarekrow on the forum uses a combination of PS and tracing that seems to work well too though so I wouldn't discount your PS skills. Just be sure and toggle the preview/outlines mode a few times in AI to get a good visual on what your cutter see's and watch for unfilled objects because they will cause a double cut inside of each open area. 

Thanks everyone!

I do have the full suite, so I will start messing with AI more, at least to get used to the cutter, then maybe I will see how sticking with PS works.  I can convert all of my designs to vectors and use them in AI I believe, but I have not tried yet. My cutter arrives tomorrow finally. Im excited to experiment.  

I don't use the PS side but I think when you convert them it will do a trace. If this is the case then your text is going to look bad. Text just doesn't trace for crap no matter what program your in. 

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Wildgoose" data-cid="371481" data-time="1410960609"><p>

I don't use the PS side but I think when you convert them it will do a trace. If this is the case then your text is going to look bad. Text just doesn't trace for crap no matter what program your in.</p></blockquote>

So is your suggestion to use AI for the text part?

I received my cutter yesterday but since it was my day off, I had to get some other things done with the wife, so I only had time to put the stand together. Another busy day today too, hopefully I'll have time to mess around some.

What version are you running? AI has pretty good text edit options and the new CC version has even better than my older CS5. One of these days I'm going to try out the free trial of CC and see just how well the two program work back and forth. I only have access to the Illustrator package at this point. My budget didn't allow for the whole suite when I started out and I haven't needed PS for anything since. I have a mac and use Aperture for photo work. It's a decent program and is simple to use but it lacks some of the capabilities of PS.