Sign in to follow this  
ProStreet1

File importing help

Hi Everyone:

I just purchased this 721 Plotter and am using the Sure Cuts alot Pro software it came with.  My question to you folks is, I created an image in Photoshop last evening and saved it in several file formats to import into the plotter program.  When I try to import the file in EPS, it appears I may have it, can't see it on my mat however I have a small square beside my curser giving me the impression I have it, just have no clue how to get it on my screen.  I hope this make a little sense as to what I'm up against.  I tried a couple different type of formats and unfortunately with 2 types, the computer responded with a runtime error and closes the program.  No clue what that means but I think I should be able to make this EPS file open.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated as this is a large decal for the side of a truck I was hoping to be installing tomorrow morning...

Thanks!!

Not sure what's going on but try installing paint.net import your file then save it as a SVG. Sure Cuts A Lot Pro works well with that file format.

Photoshop is a raster art program (bitmaps, jpgs, etc.).

Cutting software like SCALP needs vector files - .EPS, .SVG, .AI, .etc.

It is possible to save a file from PhotoShop into a pseudo-vector file, but it's not really a vector - it's just a vector file that contains raster information.

You can try and import your image into a free program like Inkscape and tracing it as a vector in that, or if you have access to Illustrator or CorelDraw, you probably want to do your design work in one of those vector based apps.

• Like 4

The file format is just the container... vector data is the (possible) contents of that container.

An eps file can contain just raster data, just vector data, or both.

Photoshop can create paths (which are vector data) but not save them in eps format. Only it's native, psd format.

Just remembered that you can also export paths (vector data) from Photoshop to Illustrator.