ddrummer88

New to the industry! (and needing help)

hi all.  new to this forum, and forums in general.  also new to vinyl cutting!  i'm wanting to buy a good quality and fairly priced vinyl cutter/software, beginner level.  open to USCutter brands or others.

any support is appreciated!  

i'll be using the cutter to make sticker designs. 

The prices of cutters vary greatly as will the quality according to price. Buy the best you can afford and the best software you can afford. US Cutter machines come with scalp( sure cuts a lot pro) personaly i would download signblazer if i was planning on buying a us cutter machine. You may want to check out copam cutters if they have any left they would make a great starter machine they are stepper motor machines but from every thing i have read do a great job. Do some reading and research on the different cutters in your price range and then you can make an educated choice.

• Like 1

The prices of cutters vary greatly as will the quality according to price. Buy the best you can afford and the best software you can afford. US Cutter machines come with scalp( sure cuts a lot pro) personaly i would download signblazer if i was planning on buying a us cutter machine. You may want to check out copam cutters if they have any left they would make a great starter machine they are stepper motor machines but from every thing i have read do a great job. Do some reading and research on the different cutters in your price range and then you can make an educated choice.

ok great, thanks for the advice!

what are some main differences between a stepper motor machine and the more (now) standard vinyl cutters?  forgive my ignorance!

Stepper motors are cheaper, noisier, and less accurate than servo motors. A entry level vinyl cutter with stepper motors is a good place to start. I started with a USCutter Laserpoint I and upgraded 4 years later to a Graphtec CE-6000-60.

Stepper motor

Servo motor

• Like 1

Oh wow that is the first video I have watched of a cutter with stepper motors. Definitely the loudest part of my CE6000 is the fan, lol.

ok great, thanks for the advice!

what are some main differences between a stepper motor machine and the more (now) standard vinyl cutters?  forgive my ignorance!

As was quoted above the noise but also the ease and quality of the cuts. You can get precise cuts with a cheaper cutter but takes a lot more set up and adjusting then with a better quality machine. The quality also varies in stepper and servo motor machines. Graphtec is a quality machine and considered the sign industry standard.

Oh wow that is the first video I have watched a video of a cutter with stepper motors. Definitely the loudest part of my CE6000 is the fan, lol.

I would say that the MH series is about twice as loud as my old Laserpoint. There must be various qualities of stepper motors.

• Like 1

I would say that the MH series is about twice as loud as my old Laserpoint. There must be various qualities of stepper motors.

that is true - there are different resolution of stepper motors - the p-cut to the copam was quite a difference and i bet the new titan1 is even better than the copam.  but as you know once you to servo you can't go back

• Like 1

that is true - there are different resolution of stepper motors - the p-cut to the copam was quite a difference and i bet the new titan1 is even better than the copam.  but as you know once you to servo you can't go back

so how about places to purchase?  i know there can be deals but i'm not big on dealing with ebay.  is it typically better to purchase direct from a brand manufacturer?  or would ordering off amazon be wise?  or...again, where can you actually go into a store and buy vinyl cutters? 

thanks for everything guys!

At the top of the index page shop on line US Cutter has great prices cheap shipping and good customer service. Also for vinyl and supplies they are hard to beat and flat price shipping.

so how about places to purchase?  i know there can be deals but i'm not big on dealing with ebay.  is it typically better to purchase direct from a brand manufacturer?  or would ordering off amazon be wise?  or...again, where can you actually go into a store and buy vinyl cutters? 

thanks for everything guys!

In NC not sure, maybe jay can say.  do you have an advantage, wensco, grimco, in your area?  just don't expect online prices at a storefront.   JAY -- thinking he is in the charlotte area

• Like 1

In NC there are Grimco branches in Raleigh and Greensboro. There are other regional sign supply dealers as well just depends on what area you are in.

• Like 2

Think there's a fellers up that way too. Grimco has (I think) a Charlotte location also

• Like 2

If in Charlotte, Sunbelt Sign Supply - truck/van delivery, flat fee for delivery - varies by location. Sunbelt has the best prices for substrates around. (or that I've found)

Alumapanel in Greer - also delivers by van/truck to the Charlotte and surrounding.  Free delivery over a certain amount. 

• Like 2

As was quoted above the noise but also the ease and quality of the cuts. You can get precise cuts with a cheaper cutter but takes a lot more set up and adjusting then with a better quality machine. The quality also varies in stepper and servo motor machines. Graphtec is a quality machine and considered the sign industry standard.

yea from what i've seen Graphtec is one of the best options out there.  there seems to be a decent amount of support vidoes as well.  how is the live support for Graphtec machines and their setup/maintenance? 

In NC not sure, maybe jay can say.  do you have an advantage, wensco, grimco, in your area?  just don't expect online prices at a storefront.   JAY -- thinking he is in the charlotte area

yes apologies, i live in the heart of Charlotte, NC.  

In NC there are Grimco branches in Raleigh and Greensboro. There are other regional sign supply dealers as well just depends on what area you are in.

great info, thank you so much!  researching now to see if there is a Grimco in Charlotte. 

• Like 1

If in Charlotte, Sunbelt Sign Supply - truck/van delivery, flat fee for delivery - varies by location. Sunbelt has the best prices for substrates around. (or that I've found)

Alumapanel in Greer - also delivers by van/truck to the Charlotte and surrounding.  Free delivery over a certain amount. 

thanks npace!  checking out Sunbelt and Alumapanel right now.

• Like 1

I own a Graphtec Fc7000  30" model...  I change the blade  about every 9 months or longer,,,  That is the maintenance.  Bought new early 2008.  never a problem, cut almost everyday.....  Very ez set up..  Quiet, reliable,  great tracking.

I used tech support 1 time in 2008.when I got my cutter....Never needed again...

• Like 4

ddrummer88 Check out Robbins Sign Supply. Their website sucks but they give great service. They are located in Lenoir but deliver a long ways I think up to 100mi or so... Actually 131 miles in my case. Order over $50 delivery is free under $50 delivery is $5. They have great prices on substrates, but USCutter wins on vinyl. You do need a NC Tax ID number to not pay sales tax, if you don't then you have to pay sales tax. They can email you a catalog with pricing.

• Like 1

ddrummer88 Check out Robbins Sign Supply. Their website sucks but they give great service. They are located in Lenoir but deliver a long ways I think up to 100mi or so... Actually 131 miles in my case. Order over $50 delivery is free under $50 delivery is $5. They have great prices on substrates, but USCutter wins on vinyl. You do need a NC Tax ID number to not pay sales tax, if you don't then you have to pay sales tax. They can email you a catalog with pricing.

thanks Jarrotto!  (what name do you prefer?)

i'll definitely check them out.  i did have a music business for a few months with a tax ID # but the company has since disolved.  do you know if there are any stipulations on owning more than one business tax ID # in the state of NC?  the one for the music business is probably still lingering around.  or is it possible to own multiple ones at the same time?  i need to brush up on my legal knowledge.

thanks again man!

just checked out the site, you were right it is awful!  but i'm going to give them a call tomorrow.  any tips on best brands for vinyl cutting?  i've seen 3M a lot of places.  i have no clue what types of vinyl there are and what types are better for t-shirts, stickers, decals, etc.  

any guidance, knowledge or direction is appreciated!

thanks Jarrotto!  (what name do you prefer?)

i'll definitely check them out.  i did have a music business for a few months with a tax ID # but the company has since disolved.  do you know if there are any stipulations on owning more than one business tax ID # in the state of NC?  the one for the music business is probably still lingering around.  or is it possible to own multiple ones at the same time?  i need to brush up on my legal knowledge.

thanks again man!

Not that i know of... but I am not one to give advice on the subject.  I would suggest printing out online the Out of Business Notification, or use the one in your booklet from NC DOR.  I changed the name of my business and forgot to do that then started getting letters telling me i was late filing sales tax returns.  So i mailed it in, filed the last couple of No Tax Due returns online and have not had any other issues.

just checked out the site, you were right it is awful!  but i'm going to give them a call tomorrow.  any tips on best brands for vinyl cutting?  i've seen 3M a lot of places.  i have no clue what types of vinyl there are and what types are better for t-shirts, stickers, decals, etc.  

any guidance, knowledge or direction is appreciated!

I buy almost all of my vinyl from USCutter.  I use Oracal / Orafol 651 for all cut and carry self install decals.  I use 751 for all business applications.  Robbins Sign Supply prices are okay for black and white 651 but the colors are more expensive than USCutter.

I bought my Graphtec from USCutter through Amazon and have been very pleased with the purchase.  It works very will on my Mac with Illustrator.  It took me almost a year to find Robbins because i am so far away from any major suppliers  Buying coroplast signs from Robbins Sign Supply has saved me quite a bit over buying online and having to pay ridiculous shipping.  I also buy .040 aluminum license plate blanks and have been happy with the quality and price.

• Like 1

Not that i know of... but I am not one to give advice on the subject.  I would suggest printing out online the Out of Business Notification, or use the one in your booklet from NC DOR.  I changed the name of my business and forgot to do that then started getting letters telling me i was late filing sales tax returns.  So i mailed it in, filed the last couple of No Tax Due returns online and have not had any other issues.

I buy almost all of my vinyl from USCutter.  I use Oracal / Orafol 651 for all cut and carry self install decals.  I use 751 for all business applications.  Robbins Sign Supply prices are okay for black and white 651 but the colors are more expensive than USCutter.

I bought my Graphtec from USCutter through Amazon and have been very pleased with the purchase.  It works very will on my Mac with Illustrator.  It took me almost a year to find Robbins because i am so far away from any major suppliers  Buying coroplast signs from Robbins Sign Supply has saved me quite a bit over buying online and having to pay ridiculous shipping.  I also buy .040 aluminum license plate blanks and have been happy with the quality and price.

Thanks so much.  I found the NC out of business notification form rather easy and I'm going to complete that and send in today.  Also thanks for the insight on Robbins!  Once I'm up and running I'll definitely be utilizing them for some equipment!  Do you know the best place to buy photoshop, illustrator and other software?  I'm not sure which would be good for what I'm wanting to do but I do own a mac so I have to take that into consideration.

I'm basically wanting to be able to print themes and images onto vinyl, none of them would be too large though, maybe 1ftX3ft max.