Sign in to follow this  
efimage

Getting bubbles when applying layered a decal.

I just started playing around with layering and I seem to be getting bubbles on the edges of the layers. I was trying out a euro oval basically black Oracal 651 over white.  The layering went fine and bubble free but when I try to apply it I get bubbles.   I tried both paper and clear tape I had much better results with the paper tape but still getting some bubbles.  I am still in the learning process of applying vinyl but so far I have been doing a pretty good job on non-layered vinyl.

I am making some ready to apply decals for a local fall festival coming up figured if I am having trouble applying it so will any potential customers. I might just do the same decal but weed out all the lettering instead.

Anybody have any ideas what I am doing wrong?

post-86774-0-42409100-1409884976_thumb.j

I have much better luck layering on the install rather than pre-layering. In my opinion the double layer if vinyl allows a spot to trap air when you squeegee much the same as if you don't have wide enough app tape and layer it you will often get a string of bubbles along the edge of the lap. Essentially poor squeegee mistake but tough to get right due to the layer itself.  That's just one mans opinion though. 

I figured it was probably my squeegee technique. I just can not seem to get all the air out when applying to a substrate with the extra layer around the edge.   I think I watched every video on youtube i could find on the subject.  I am going to try layering on the substrate today just to see how much better it looks but I think I just need more practice.  

Does anybody ever have any issues selling ready to apply layered decals with the end users getting bubbles and complaining?  I think this is where a printed decal trumps cut vinyl but I am a ways away from buying a printer and lamination machination at this point.

Layered decals are really meant to be applied layer by layer to the substrate. not before hand because you will never get even pressure across the vinyl when applying. there will always be the smallest gap at the edges of the different layers of vinyl when squeegeeing; when the squeegee isnt in full contact with the vinyl, you have air bubbles.

If you are using a hard squeegee try using one that is softer so it follows the surface better but other than that technique is everything and customers can and will screw up installs, just a fact of life.

I definitely don't envy you guys doing layering. I'm so glad we have a printer because I couldn't do it lol.

The durability of printed vinyl is what keeps me in business doing cut vinyl. If they want 2-3 years I just order prints but long term I still prefer cut and layer.

• Like 1

That's right. The ink will fade, but that's job security as a federal employee. I hope at least lol.

on the customer getting more bubbles with layered over printed - unless the person is using air release vinyl they will still get bubbles if they don't use proper technique.  vinyl is vinyl as far as trapping air unless the channels are in the adhesive like the more expensive print vinyl.  so the envy of someone paying thousands more to eliminated bubbles when it is applied is kinda misleading.  now for producing it is nice to not layer but to keep producing top quality prints I just invested more in maint (head, encoder and sensor) than I have ever paid for a graphtec cutter!  If I was willing to produce lesser quality I am sure i could go a lot longer without the proper maint.  but that is not my style

• Like 1

Scott your print work is the most durable I have ever used and quality is always top notch. Yeah air release is the best but they charge for the convenience but it can be worth it if your concerned with unhappy customers. I did 2 18x24's this morning in reflective and the release technology is truly a godsend with reflective.

• Like 1

Thanks Jay - I am a little obsessive on that maint thing.  no sense doing it 1/2 A$$.  you can do it cheaper with poorly maintained equip and aftermarket inks but that isn't the area I work toward.  used aftermarket in 1st printer and never again, cheaper yes, smell and durability suffers.  I have heard the mimiki's have a slight edge on durability but I sure can't complain the one I took off the truck getting ready to sell it was 3 yrs old and looked just like the day I put it on - no lam no nothing.   by the way if you want a NICE truck I would meet ya part way!  $10K with 69,750 miles!