Sign in to follow this  
MokiDesigns

Roland BN-20?

Hey all,

I am considering a Roland BN-20 to expand my shop's abilities. Anyone have a BN-20 and what do you think of this unit?

Thanks for your input,
James

If you already have a 24" cutter i would skip it and get the Mutoh vj628 24" eco sol.  I got print samples and they look great.

A lot of other forum members will tell you to buy bigger, or buy used to get a bigger machine.  I think a 24" would be a better investment and it gives you more options for print media.  The bn20 is semi limited because of the 18" media requirement.

• Like 1

Former BN-20 owner.

Take it from someone who owned one. Go Bigger. there are no combo printer/cutter machines at the 24" size. there are a few off brand 24" printers, but you have to combine with a cutter, and who knows how accurate you're going to be.

the print speed for this machine is just way too slow for any kind of production. You'll be spending lots of time waiting. It prints slow, and it cuts even slower. max cut speed of 15 cm/sec combined with a threaded screw-down blade carriage as opposed to an electromagnet. It takes forever for the blade to lower and raise to move to the next cut. 

If you can get by on roland specific material, then material cost is comparable. If you need a specific material and you can get it cut, the cost isn't worth it. some suppliers wont cut the material

Also, a little dirty secret about the machine that nobody will tell you is that you cant use certain sized material.

Sizes that work:
5.9 - 6.7 inches
7.9 - 9.3
11.3 - 12.7
13.7 - 15.1
15.5 - 16.9
17.3 - 18.7
19.2 - 20.3

at max width (20.3") you only get 18.9" of actual printable area. I could go on with more limitations, but If I had known these, I wouldn't have bought it in the first place.

A brand knew BN-20 I think retails for $9k and after lease/financing, you're looking at anywhere between $10k-$12k. for that price you can get a used 30" and not have to deal with all the limitations of the smaller machine.

• Like 1

I think you forgot one more limitation, you cant use it with windows 8 (yet). the reason being it only hooks up with usb and rolands drivers are not approved by Microsoft and roland refuses to pay to be approved, even when roland techs force the drivers onto the system it still won't work.

• Like 1

I think you forgot one more limitation, you cant use it with windows 8 (yet). the reason being it only hooks up with usb and rolands drivers are not approved by Microsoft and roland refuses to pay to be approved, even when roland techs force the drivers onto the system it still won't work.

didnt know that, I refuse to upgrade to 8, lol

• Like 2

I wouldn't call the Mutoh printer an off brand... If it was me and I knew I didn't want bigger I would pair the Mutoh vj628 and a Graphtec CE6000.

Or you can spend a good bit more and step up to a roland print and cut. The bigger you can afford the more options it will allow you I suppose.

http://www.coastalbusiness.com/Mutoh-ValueJet-628-Eco-Solvent-Printer.aspx

• Like 1

I have the machine it works perfectly with Windows 8.1, no problems. As far as financing if you need to finance i then you would also need to finance a used 30 inch and it is more difficult to finance a used cutter. with the shows coming up for less than 8000 you can get the machine and plenty of material.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I was looking at the Roland because of cost and size. However, the Mutoh vj628 24" does look good and the price is a lot better than the Roland.

That gives me food for thought. Now to get some reviews on the Mutoh.

I have had better luck with mutoh's than any other brand as far as printer life, print quality and maintenance required. 

• Like 1