Sign in to follow this  
express2100

Substrate options to replace frameless 3/4" Plywood

I may be replacing several outdoor painted plywood signs in various shapes from 4' in diameter on down and two 4' x 8' one sided signs. They are simply screwed to 6" x 6" posts with no frames. They would like to keep the frameless look and use something other than wood.

I am thinking max metal or .080 aluminum / enamel. I don't want to use anything that will need paint and I am not sure what would be the best for cutting the various contour shapes.

Suggestions? Thanks.

Something as big as 4'x8' can catch alot of wind. Thin gauge metal of any type will need a backer board most likely and then your back to plywood for it. 

The 4x8 signs will have plenty of backer on the existing structure. (only replacing the faces)

I am more concerned with the signs that are screwed to one individual post. I told them I would more than likely have to use plywood for support if they wanted to keep the original appearance.

I took a closer look and it turns out the existing posts for the individual signs are rotted. I told him I wouldn't install a sign on those. So we are now looking at one  new 4'H x 5'W two sided sign on two posts similar to the one above.

I am not finding much info on the alumacore. Maybe others call it by a different name? Can you point me towards a good resource? 

Ok I guess I'm lacking sleep!! Just found some info here on the site.  :wacko:  http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php?/topic/40647-question-on-sign-blanks/?hl=alumacore#entry312986

Seems most of you prefer dibond or max metal over the alimiacore. Is this still the case? If I use dibond for the two sided sign should I run supports on the top and bottom?

Sorry guys.....just want to do this first outdoor sign job the "right" way......

My supplier calls is AlumaCorr from NUDO.  If you dont have any local sign supply shops you can look for a Grimco or N Glantz branch in your area.

Alumacore is lighter and more rigid than the composite (maxmetal, dibond, etc.) but also more costly. I have removed alumacore signs where the center part had deteriorated to the point I could squish the sign between 2 fingers. I use alumacore mainly where weight is a concern and the composite for just about everything else.