ZombieWrangler

Howdy from a new Texas Vinlyist.

I had spent way too much over the years buying vinyl graphics for my Jeep, ZombieWrangler, and with the harsh nature of off-roading they were starting to show some age, had damaged some parts, mud and dirt and many power washes had started peeling parts away.  I decided to redo all the lettering at once, and figured I would outfit new newest family member, ZombieElement, I was staggered by the cost to get custom work done.

I looked at the small hobby units, but it just wouldn't do the scale of my ideas.  That landed me here and with a Laserpoint II starter bundle.

So I jumped in head first and cleared the initial obstacles, but now I've got to step back and read a little more of the instructions.

Love it so far, have made my share of dumb mistakes like trying to cut too close to the edge and not setting home point right, but so far so good.  I was already an IT professional and web designer, so the setup and application use has been pretty easy.  My questions are now more like 'how do you know when a blade needs changing' and what materials work best for what applications and are there speed/pressure guidelines that might work better than the default settings for some things..

Now I'm off to go read through topics, I'm sure there is months worth of tips to catch up on.  Thanks USCutter, great machine, tutorial videos, and now I'm looking forward to the community.

Alex

ZombieWrangler

post-88027-0-64119600-1409253139_thumb.j

post-88027-0-23884300-1409253140_thumb.j

post-88027-0-88322800-1409253140_thumb.j

post-88027-0-46619900-1409253381_thumb.j

• Like 1

Hi. Welcome.

I recommend oracal 751 or 951 for use on the body of a vehicle. I would avoid fluorescent colors if possible because they fade really fast outdoors. Some in as little as 6 months and others 2 years or less.

I have Florescent on the Jeep and it's about a year old and doing OK except the hood. That is wiped out.

I agree with KYSIGN. I mostly do vehicle graphics and don't use anything but Oracal 751 and 951 unless i'm using specialty colors. I actually got started into vinyl work the same way you did...a couple of 4x4 stickers for mine and my friends trucks and the rest is history!

The fluorescent vinlys look amazing until they don't. The pink fades super fast. I made some awareness ribbons for a few friends and they were all faded within 6 months. I had warned them though so it wasn't a surprise.

• Like 1

I never expected a year when I did mine so I'm pleased but when the weather cools I'll be changing out again.

Florescent becomes that way by basically getting eaten by UV light. My guess is if it block the UV you'll lose the POP of the color.

All the talk about the 751/951 had made it sound like it's the way I need to go, I just ordered some Orcal samples from the garage sale.  I have a lot of the Green star stuff that came with the starter kit to practice with, it's been working well, but I have no idea of it's longevity since I've only been at this a month. 

Hello and welcome. 751 is a cast or considered a premium vinyl 651 is an intermediate vinyl and calandered. The premium vinyl cost more but is well worth the difference on a auto or sign.

You get what you pay for in this business. That being said the majority of what I do is in 651 and it's a good value for your money but 751 and 951 are higher quality.

• Like 1

Hello and Welcome.  I agree with what everyone has said, 751 or 951 is all I use.   I had a customer ask for some decals made with the florescent colors.  I noticed that the color doesn't run all the way through the vinyl.  The back side is white, this would also cause premature fading.